normiss

CHOP CHOP!!!

Yet another good reason to keep your knee and anklebones touching, not just for the pull, but throughout the entire deployment process. It is very difficult to unevenly load your risers, with your knees and ankles clamped; try doing a harness turn like this sometime. :D
www.WingsuitPhotos.com

Line twists happen and the first thing that comes to mind is to get untwisted, not chop it.

That is the correct course of action and how it is taught in the FFC IF the canopy is not spinning or diving. That was not the case in this instance from the moment he pulled. At the end of the day Mark saved his ass and this discussion isn't to bust his balls but to learn from it. The video and Mark's experience serves as a very good teaching point not only for him but for everyone who flies a wingsuit. If it hasn't happened to you already, it eventually will if you fly a wingsuit for any amount of time.Better to learn the easy way than the hard way.
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

I watched the crap come off Mark's back with my own eyes and it was wrapping up at line stretch. We've all got to appreciate that going to your reserve has its own risks ... it's not 100%. Going from a mildly fucked up canopy back into freefall may not be the best option.

In Mark's situation, unzipping and getting your hands on the risers looked pretty reasonable to me. A thousand feet lower and my opinion would certainly change. A slightly spun up, normally docile canopy is no reason for an immediate chop if you're high enough to think about it. Take it from the CRW guys, panic kills. Be altitude aware! IMHO Mark executed his EP's correctly ... not too late and not too soon.

But like Scott C. said, the lower you pull the faster you're going to have to be on those EP's ... if you want to live that is.

Even if your canopy is spun up, it will start flying straight and level if your connector links are on the same level, touching, over your head. It's that uneveness that causes a canopy to start diving spirals which, ultimately, lead to cutaways. My actions in the case of linetwists are to: let the canopy fully open, level the connector links with harness input, then start kicking out and unzipping as soon as the canopy is straight and level.

Chuck

Also worth noting is that if the twists are numerous enough, the lines will become locked and at that point you'll be unable to re-align your links. Which is why, as Chuck says, you want to align them as early as possible.
www.WingsuitPhotos.com

The111

Yet another good reason to keep your knee and anklebones touching, not just for the pull, but throughout the entire deployment process. It is very difficult to unevenly load your risers, with your knees and ankles clamped; try doing a harness turn like this sometime. :D

This works really well, I had a stock velo 96 that was a real handful during openings, this technique completely tamed the heading performance and I can't recall ever getting twists again afterwards.