birdynamnam

S-Fly Expert

I have a brand new one and have a few Q's to you guys that are experienced flying monowing wingsuits:

(1) The small movements when in formation: I easily fly myself to a slot as usual. Once there when I try to move in for tight flying, flying ever so gently, I tend to oversteer and have to counter, thereby wobeling around. In general I am flying with full wing (all open), using my body, arch, de-arch, and for turning I look and tilt my upperbody. Give me some hints monowing guys. Or is is just continuing to practice :P

(2) Performance flying: Flying for distance or time, how should body position differ, if any diff, from the recommended tri-wing position - as described in the excellent "performance flying" document from Phoenix-Fly: http://www.phoenix-fly.com/articles.htm?

I have(1) The small movements when in formation: I easily fly myself to a slot as usual. Once there when I try to move in for tight flying, flying ever so gently, I tend to oversteer and have to counter, thereby wobeling around.

Fly with your hips. Push your butt sideways for sidesliding
scissors beat paper, paper beat rock, rock beat wingsuit - KarlM

I have very few monowing flights, but have you tried weight shift turns? Simply moving hips across left to slip left and right to slip right? The banking creates both turn and alti loss, which is a lot of relativity to manage.

t
It's the year of the Pig.

I would imagine that the weight shifting would work. could it be possible that your movements (lowering a wing, etc) are just too large or the reaction of the suit is either faster or slower than a tri-wing suit?

Where is my fizzy-lifting drink?

Yeah the fine controls are mainly in the legs and lower back.

Keeping your arms level, slide your ribcage laterally to the side you want to go toward, bending your lower back a little. In the air this probably has the effect of pushing your legs out to the opposite side. Just a little motion is all that's required, your spine's natural inflexibility will limit the amount of displacement involved.

An inch or two is all it takes for me.
My advice is to do what your parents did; get a job, sir. The bums will always lose. Do you hear me, Lebowski?

well, I got an s-fly expert too and got the same problem :) It flies really in a different way than the suits i flied before. what I can tell you is that Loic said that the fine maneuvres are taken by the legs and the butt mainly :)

Hey there, I am Alejandro and as Jarno said I've been flying my S-fly expert quite a lot lately. I will try to answer your questions:

1)In relation to the small movements within formation.
Well the hips movement tips is the best you can get, the only problem is that it's not that easy to achieve. The best way is to rehearse at home without and with the suit. Stand up, assume the position and try to point with your arm to one side, when you do that your shoulders move to the side while your hips stay. Now try to move your hips to one side without moving your shoulders. By doing these exercises you will create the necessary muscle memory to repeat the movement in air. Jump in the plane and try the same exercises in the air, you will see how do they affect your flying.

2) In relation to high performance, for me, rolling the shoulders works and in addition imagine a big beach ball (2 metres diameter) and that you are trying to hugh it and lay lazily on it, this position is the one that creates more lift. As for the streching you have to think on a lateral motion, try to think of your knees moving away from each other while your legs are straight. Arms should be in the thinking process of pushing with the inside part of the elbows (as you are in palm down flying) towards the front. This position will maximise your flying.

Some people say that the S-fly is a "floatty" suit but I can tell you that more than one tri-wing flyer has already told me "well, I did not know that the S-fly could be that fast..." so it's about performance and pilot's skills.

I hope this helps,

Ride the clouds
Spanishflea