mccordia

Jumping wingsuit in high winds - question

On my home dropzone, we sometimes attach our main backwards, so we can jump when the winds are up to 32 to 35 mph hour.
This makes landing easyer, as you're still facing forward, and you dont have to run backward like an idiot.

This had me thinking about about doing wingsuit jumps in insanely high winds as well.
Anyone know what the opening would be like when the parachute was attached backward?
Would gladly get some tips and info

*edit* I know that the spot is quite important in these kind of winds, but I think it wouldnt be to hard opening on the right spot, as I'd have the canopies of previous jumpers as a good guide...

Cheers
JC
FlyLikeBrick
I'm an Athlete?

Jarno.....do you fly square or round canopies when flying birdman...?

I dont jump wingsuits just yet but I think it would be OK on a large square canopy...

I think in those winds though its a good idea to wear at least two pairs of gloves as it can get rather cold with the wind chill and all...

If you are used to do that kind of staff, I don't see any problem with it.
Just make sure to kill all your forward speed before pulling your main, give your self in off altitude to tuck your wing in for a 1.000 fts so you can be falling strait down.:)
In a second thought, what you guys do if you have to used you reserve?
It will suck to came scramming down in a 120 Sqf -F111 with 35 M/ph winds!:S
Medusa

Get Killed or Die Trying!
Patent pending ATFK15456

Haha, so when you flare your forward speed increases?

This makes landing easyer, as you're still facing forward, and you dont have to run backward like an idiot.

But since every other part of the logic involved is idiotic, it all evens out. :P

And no, I'm not buying it...
www.WingsuitPhotos.com

Do you have video of this? I have to see it!
Never even imagined that someone would do this. Very amusing
man.

"If murder and suicide are illegal, then why is it ok to kill yourself and others with cigarettes?????"

www.myspace.com/Hypoxicmusic

On my home dropzone, we sometimes attach our main backwards, so we can jump when the winds are up to 32 to 35 mph hour.

I wonder if this idea can be used in ground launching to go up the hill flying a big canopy attached backwards. Then go down on a small fast canopy. Repeat. It's like perpetum mobile! ;)

Yuri
Android+Wear/iOS/Windows apps:
L/D Vario, Smart Altimeter, Rockdrop Pro, Wingsuit FAP
iOS only: L/D Magic
Windows only: WS Studio

I wonder if this idea can be used in ground launching to go up the hill flying a big canopy attached backwards. Then go down on a small fast canopy. Repeat. It's like perpetum mobile! ;)

Yuri

Hmm... interesting idea. I think steering and levelling would be difficult and counter intuitive no? Pulling toggles down means ... you go forward faster and ... hit the ground? I can't picture it :S
Costyn van Dongen - http://www.flylikebrick.com/ - World Wide Wingsuit News