Buried

Camera Belly mounts for flocks?

A couple of years back I rigged Kevin922 up with a belly mount in his suit. Besides being a 2 man operation and a pain in the ass, the footage gained just didn't seem to be worth the effort expended. Even with a very wide angle lens, most of the footage would end up on the virtual video room floor as you get lots of partials, stomaches of other fliers and the ground below.
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

Interesting.. I would have suspected that it could be some good shots if it was angled at 45deg off center and also tilted a little down (maybe 10 deg).
(view from behind)

/-|-\ <-- person 1 w/ camera

/-|-\ <-- person 2

(view from top)
/-|-\ <-- person 2

/-|-\ <-- person 1 w/ camera

Where is my fizzy-lifting drink?

I would have suspected that it could be some good shots if it was angled at 45deg off center and also tilted a little down (maybe 10 deg).

If the camera is above the flock/person why not just use the normal camera helmet set up that everyone uses? if you remember back to WFFC, my camera is set up at a 45 degree angle to do what you are describing(see my avatar)
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

We flew a bellymount (Belle-vue) for the short film ghostrider (on www.bird-man.com)

a small extra zipper was added to the suit, and the complete setup was worn beneath the wingsuit.
Aside from adding the extra zipper, it didn't really take a lot of extra rigging.
JC
FlyLikeBrick
I'm an Athlete?

I would have suspected that it could be some good shots if it was angled at 45deg off center and also tilted a little down (maybe 10 deg).

If the camera is above the flock/person why not just use the normal camera helmet set up that everyone uses? if you remember back to WFFC, my camera is set up at a 45 degree angle to do what you are describing(see my avatar)

yeah I remember, it's just a different perspective that seems like it would be interesting if spliced in with other side or top mounted cameras. Just some random thought

yeah I remember, it's just a different perspective that seems like it would be interesting if spliced in with other side or top mounted cameras. Just some random thought

If you can point your belly at it, I can point my ringsight at it. :D The only thing decidedly unique about bellycam footage would be the torso and head of the camera man being in frame.

I guess for inside video it could make sense, but I'm honestly only interested in outside video anyway. Hmm, but now that I think about it, for 2-way acrobatic routines your idea could be a cool inside perspective...
www.WingsuitPhotos.com

Also cool for openings, BASE (forward and backward), maybe a neat perspective from someone leading a flock on his back, and others above and in front, looking down, etc. Could be cool when done creatively and with some good editting.

Ted
Like a giddy school girl.

I guess for inside video it could make sense, but I'm honestly only interested in outside video anyway. Hmm, but now that I think about it, for 2-way acrobatic routines your idea could be a cool inside perspective...

Yeah this would be for inside formations, and like i said it would be provide another perspective than just a helmet camera mount. I wonder what type of tight footage you could also get if the lead person had a camera rear facing. It would be something a little different than video taken during back flying.

(top view)

/-|-\ <-- person 1 w/ camera slightly above plane of person 2

/-|-\ - Person 2

also I think getting parts of the wings/ chest/feet in frame of the camera flyer would add a different (artistic?) to video if it was coupled with outside video.

We flew a bellymount (Belle-vue) for the short film ghostrider (on www.bird-man.com)

have a link? I can't seem to find it in the video section and nothing found on a search

On the left side of the main screen, where it says 'see ghostrider'

http://www.bird-man.com/?n=ghostrider

About halfway through there's a few shots with the (forward facing) belly and foot mount (some loops/rolls)
JC
FlyLikeBrick
I'm an Athlete?

The best belly mount footage I have seen is in Adrenaline rush. However, an IMAX camera straped to the front of you IS a bit more than a belly mount IMO;). You could probably do something similar with a standard belly mount flying directly behind and below a flyer. Where I think the belly mount could get some good footage from is if the wearer was back flying. You could angle it so that the flock was in frame and the back flyer could keep a good head position and really punch it out.
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

Personally, I'd rather fly a wingsuit with a bullet cam than a bellymount system. Unfortunately, bullet cams don't have the best resolution right now. Bellycams and wingsuits have been flown together on skydives and base jumps, but it might require you to have some help suiting up.

I just got the chance to make some bellycam base jumps with my HDR-HC1 (Sony HDV) and the video is truly amazing.

I don't think I'll ever have the guts, but I'd love to fly my wingsuit with my rhinocam (see attached).

PS. I've got a new ball and socket system on my bellycams that provides greater camera movement.
(c)2010 Vertical Visions. No unauthorized duplication permitted. <==For the media only