The111

VIDEO: Z-Flock 2005 in Burble Flyers

A new video I made, mostly shot at Zhills and mostly featuring the Z-Flock and "swooping" shots. It is also a "year-end" video of sorts; I included a few other random snippets of some of my favorite footage from the last several months, since getting my camera in September.

CLICK FOR VIDEO

From the SM.com info page:

This video showcases a series of highspeed approaches and swoops over other flyers. The swooper often passes through the burble of the bird being swooped, hence 'burble flyers'.

EDITING:
Matt Hoover

CAMERA:
Matt Hoover
Jeff Nebelkopf
Omar Nery's
Scary Perry
Medusa

BIRDS:
Fredrik Tengbom
Jeff Nebelkopf
Matt Hoover
Medusa
Omar Nery's
Paul Mazillo
Scary Perry
Scott Bland
Scotty Burns

Enjoy!
www.WingsuitPhotos.com

Thats a great vid. When you gonna release a full version dvd of all your tricks and flights?

Out of all the w/s vids Ive seen so far, I like yours the most. Oh thats excluding Loics Mountain sweep of course :P

Great job. Keep it up.:)

www.myspace.com/durtymac

Hello, as i could see the video is in widescreen. Did you guys use widescreen camera or was it cut by the video software? If it was a camera, what make and model was it?

Leo, I'm pretty sure most Sony mini-DV camcorders (even the older PC models) can shoot in 16:9 (there is a setting in the menus).

As you may have noticed from the credits, this video was shot by FIVE different flockers. We all shoot in 16:9 since we like to share footage and we decided to make it standard for all of us. I use an HC90, Perry an HC1, Omar an HC3x (I think), and Medusa and Jeff both use older PC models (no touchscreen, if that helps).

I'll bet your camera can do it... what do you have?
www.WingsuitPhotos.com

Hello, as i could see the video is in widescreen. Did you guys use widescreen camera or was it cut by the video software? If it was a camera, what make and model was it?

Most (if not all) DV cameras have a widescreen 'setting' in the menu.
They do not actualy shoot widescreen (in terms of having a wider CCD or an anamorphic lens) but they crop your image and store it in 16:9 on a DV tape. You do 'win' a little quality in terms of the DV compression this way, but your CCD is still only 4:3 and just crops off the top and bottom 99% of all DV camera's have a 4:3 CCD.

You can also choose to crop in post (editing) which has the advantage of being able to move your 4:3 image up and down behind the bars for better framing. And you still have the option of using it in a 4:3 video (since you have a full frame to work with)

The only cams that shoot true 16:9 (with the CCD being in that format/aspect ratio) is the new HDV range from Sony (and a few other brands are coming out with HDV's now..all shooting 16:9)

HDV works the other way around, and is soo good in terms of resolution that you can crop the 16:9 video to 4:3 video (non wide-screen) and still have the full resolution to work with (and even do progressive scan, which means no interlaced fields)
The 4:3 crop for DV export is an option on the 'expensive' HDV cameras.
JC
FlyLikeBrick
I'm an Athlete?

Screw you and your more thorough explanation, you Dutch monkey. :P

Sorry...Mention anything on animation, editing, windmills, cheese or vegetable oil and naked ladies and I can't resist getting technical on your ass :P
JC
FlyLikeBrick
I'm an Athlete?

Thank you guys for the explanation.

I'll bet your camera can do it... what do you have?

I'm using JVC DVM70u ([link]http://www.jvc.com/product.jsp?modelId=MODL006210&page=3[/link]). It was discontinued a long time ago.

As you may have noticed from the credits, this video was shot by FIVE different flockers

This was why it interested me: too many flockers using the same format, I was thinking that these expensive HDV were becoming standard. Thanks!
Leo Holanda

Matt, hope those swoops were all "briefed" ;)

A good point James, in addition to Medusa's "warning" a few posts up. Ideally, swoops like these should always be briefed. The potential for collision should be obvious. In this specific video, the people swooping each other are not only very experienced flyers, they are very experienced at flying with each other. We all know each other and each other's flying habits, and know what our own awareness and comfort levels are as a group. ;)

Key points learned by the Z-Flock in our swooping endeavors:

1) Less bodies is better than more - it is riskier to swoop somebody when there are a lot of other flyers nearby
2) Don't get fixated on your "target" - if there are other flyers around, you're going to have to be aware of them, as well as whether or not they are aware of you (which they should be if it's planned)
3) Margin for error - a swoop 5 feet away is as cool as a swoop 6 inches away and much safer
4) Slower is safer than faster - obviously
5) Offset your swoop a bit to one side, and if you need to veer off as an "escape/abort route" you can (keep #2 - peripheral awareness - in mind)
6) Backflyer should be proficient enough to fly stable, and fly evasively if needed ("escape/abort route" again)
7) DON'T TRY THIS AT HOME, PERIOD. ;)
www.WingsuitPhotos.com

I can't try this at home...my roof isn't high enough!
:(

on a side note Matt - parachute guy made 8 base jumps this past weekend on my business trip to Atlanta...I was on the 38th floor of the Marriott Marquis in downtown Atlanta...the inside of the build is amazing...sure wish I had a base rig with me!
B|