The111

frickin' lasers

Ok, ok. I know there are going to be replies suggesting this is too complicated/distracting and wingsuit flying is cool/dangerous enough already. To those, I ask that you at least admit that this is not impossible, and if it worked it would be incredibly fun.

Someone made a post some time ago about "dogfighting" in wingsuits, and they were immediately (and rightly so) told how dangerously stupid that would be.

However, consider this. Two wingsuit fliers. Each has goggles with crosshairs and a laser. Each has a target on his chest. I am unsure what the practical duration would be, but the idea is you have to lock your crosshairs on your opponent's target for a certain amount of time (as opposed to just glancing at it). The chest is chosen to put a good balance between attacking/defending. If the target was on the back, the game would always be stacked in the direction of the high man. On the chest, the attacker has to get underneath you and roll over, exposing his target as well. So in attacking, one makes himself vulnerable. So there's a balance, somewhat like other forms of fighting. I also thought about the shoulders as other potential target locations.

I know I played laser tag as a kid a few times and loved it, I was always disappointed I didn't get to do it more often.

People always wonder if skydiving has any future as a spectator sport. Sure, this is a long shot, and sure I'm just spouting off at the mouth. It probably won't happen. But can't you picture someone watching a wingsuit dogfight on their TV, with cool outside video and an annoying sports commentator voiceover? C'mon, admit it... :P
www.WingsuitPhotos.com

It could be a lot if 2 people collided head-on. But the way the game would be setup there would be no benefit to or reason for flying straight at someone. If you don't buy that, you could even add a rule: both fliers will maintain a northerly (or whatever) heading for the duration of the jump. But I don't think that's necessary and think it would be cooler without it. The goal is not to get close anyway as it makes you vulnerable. The goal is to get to a reasonable range to have snipewars.
www.WingsuitPhotos.com

You could do it with specialized helmets ( like camera helmets ) equiped with a tongue or bite switch trigger activated lazer . Some helmet mounted target receivers ( like the miles gear the military train with ).

I wouldn't want target receivers placed that would interfere with either my wingsuit or container harness. But the possibilities are interesting. Along with an audible kill tone, the helmets could also disperse a squib pack of "kill" smoke powder.

I just ordered my Vampire V-1 in -- blue and white camo.

I will fly down top dock and laser beam your ass -- than fly away and you'll never even see me!!!!

Now I am going to call the rig manufacture and see who can make me a camo rig in blue and white.

I never understood the Team Xaos camo rigs in earth tones:S

The pimp hand is powdered up ... say something stupid

If the target was on the back, the game would always be stacked in the direction of the high man.

Hmm, so if the high man starts backflying it becomes a low pull contest.

How about having targets on both front & back :P
My advice is to do what your parents did; get a job, sir. The bums will always lose. Do you hear me, Lebowski?

Along with an audible kill tone, the helmets could also disperse a squib pack of "kill" smoke powder.

I like that idea and it adds to the spectator appeal. Each flier could have camera and communications headset too, so the spectators could hear shit-talking, lock-on and kill tones, as well as see what the pilot sees.

low pull??? he he!!!! i wanna play.....

Skydiving survival tip #3298: do NOT under any circumstances have a low pull contest with Scary Perry.
www.WingsuitPhotos.com

If the rules stated that the kill had to occur during freefall (WS flight) what you described would create a statemate, not a low pull contest.

But front and back is an option too. Would make for quicker kills, I think and take away a level of strategy, maybe. But who knows until we try it? :o

Oh yeh and another thing... acrobatic suits would be perfect for this game! Acro vs PHI, end the brandwar once-and-for-all... :D (kidding)
www.WingsuitPhotos.com

I disagree.

If the high man starts backflying, he's just put himself at the disadvantage, as very few wingsuit pilots will outfly pilots of similar ability while on their back and the opponent has the option of flying on their belly.

think about it
;)

soon to be gone

will have the "low pull"rig at bridgeday....lets see what others think of the desgn and concept and yes, will do cutaway/slider down at the bridge:o

Getting pretty off topic, but...

There's probably enough room to do that slider up. I've done TARD-away to round here (a little more than half the altitude), as well as TARD-away and McCutaway with time enough to turn around and land into the wind. McCutaway slider down in Colorado (slightly higher than BD) gave me a ton of time.

If you have a skyhook or sorcerer you ought to be able to do a TARD-away to a skyhook/sorcerer cutaway (so, double cutaway) at BD.
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

off topic, was thinking tard the first one,chop, throw my troll from stowed,then use the skyhook!!! gives me about 1.5 seconds to mess up or pull it off!!! Lets see what the winds are like as dont want main in rapids or messen with the guys rappeling...;) sorry for the off topic...its all in the training and execution....
Only he can be happy,who can make his the present hour,for today he has lived

What if the laser receiver was somehow tied in to an AAD on your main?

Then you'd be effectively taken out of the fight (if you had more than 2 people), and everybody would know when you got zapped :D:D:D:D:D
-Ghetto
"The reason death cannot frighten me, is because life has cured me of fear."
Web Design
Cleveland Skydiving