DBCOOPER

Excess cable on wings

Make sure there really is too much. Your cable will push down into the handle, which will shorten it up a couple inches. If that makes it short enough, don't cut it. The extra lenght allows it to move with you when you're moving around in the plane and in the air, without coming undone.

Ted
Like a giddy school girl.

Don't use wire cutters, use the rigger's steel cable cutters.
Scrunching up while seated in a Cessna for example can cause it to push up against the end of the little keeper, eventually poking thru which is no big deal. If you cut it too short it can come out when you're stretched out.

If it looks too long when you assemble the suit, just give the whole mess a tug from top to bottom. If you still can't get it to seat flat in the pocket, just burn then cauterize a small hole right in the top of the keeper and let the last little bit stick out there. Cutting cables too short will cause your wings to come undone from the top once under load in freefall. I can't count the times I have seen people walking to the plane with their back cables undone two or three tabs because they neglected to restow them after their last jump.

Chuck

Thats what I ended up doing today just pulling from both ends.Got two in at CrossKeys.Hooked up with one other flyer.Quite unusual for Xkeys.Chuck the place is ripe for a first jump course,maybe the opener?
Replying to: Re: Stall On Jump Run Emergency Procedure? by billvon

If the plane is unrecoverable then exiting is a very very good idea.

GTI. Can I just cut it off with wire cutters?

I suggest never to cut the excess cable as you may find it too short once you have cut it.
Instead, when lacing it up through the last loop, run the cable to the inside of the wing, being careful not to have it poke through the mesh in the front. It should be long enough to curve away from the mesh when it's all the way in place.
The back side should be clear of any mesh and be easily ran inside the wing.

Be safe.
Ed
www.WestCoastWingsuits.com
www.PrecisionSkydiving.com

Is there any detriment to just leaving this excess cord outside of the little keeper pocket? Because it's kinda hard to get in there in the first place, and it can be too long, and I've seen on several suits where the cable has worn through the back of this little pocket anyway.

"Your mother's full of stupidjuice!"
My Art Project

Is there any detriment to just leaving this excess cord outside of the little keeper pocket? Because it's kinda hard to get in there in the first place, and it can be too long, and I've seen on several suits where the cable has worn through the back of this little pocket anyway.

There is nothing wrong with it, but it may poke your eye out when you look down to check your handles in the plane.
IMO, things are best when put in the right places, but try and keep things as clean as possible before leaving the plane. :)

Be safe.
Ed
www.WestCoastWingsuits.com
www.PrecisionSkydiving.com

Is there any detriment to just leaving this excess cord outside of the little keeper pocket?

On my student suits I purposely have long cables. I do this as it is easier for me to check the student during the gear check prior to moving to the door in a cramped cabin. It is also next to impossible for a student to inadvertanetly un lace his wings while sitting and moving around in the A/C due to rig shift or body shape. As long as it's not so long that you could poke an eye out you should be good with it outside the pocket. However, pulling on the suit like Chuck mentioned often times fixes this problem during the rigging and it becomes a non issue.
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING