Professor

Floating handle mod

Hey all, my rigger and I did a floating handle mod this weekend. Here's some pics of what we did, any feedback would be appreciated. The container was a wings with a freefly handle.

freefly_handle.jpg - the handle before modification
handle_detachment.jpg - cutting the handle off
handle_removed.jpg - the handle, removed.
stitching_bottom.jpg - stitch down the tape, within the pc
stitching_top.jpg - the other side of the stitching
stitching_outside_apex - the stiching as seen from the outside.
fuji_film_container - what I used for a handle
handle_in_PC - it's in there, not attached to anything

The process was pretty easy, just detach the handle, untie and cut the tape in half, pull the tape inside the pc, and stitch it down, making sure to keep the tape position the same, so you don't artificially shrink your kill line. Then drop a film container in there and pack it up. It actually feels more secure then I expected, too.

Ted
Like a giddy school girl.

It doesn't seem to hard to find on the ground, but the grip is a little different. I couldn't jump it due to weather, but hopefully I'll have a report for you next week.

One other important thing: I wrote sunrise rigging about doing this and didn't get a reply, so you can assume this isn't a manufacturer sanctioned mod, and if you do it, you'll probably die. :P

Ted

how does that make easier to get your hand on it and pull? It looks more dangerous having a bit of your pilot chute hanging out, than having a monkey fist or a pvc back there.

but what ever floats your boat i guess.:)
I swear you must have footprints on the back of your helmet - chicagoskydiver
My God has a bigger dick than your god -George Carlin

Actually, it's slightly more difficult to grab, and, I'd think, a little less secure. After having done it, though, it really doesn't seem insecure at all. As long as your BOC pouch is OK, it seems fine. The reason for doing this is to keep from having your bridle wrap around your hackey handle and cause a PC in tow. This mod is standard on BASE equipment for the same reason. Since this rig is my primary wingsuit rig, and I have another rig which I use for freeflying, I decided to give it a try.

There's a thread about the PC in tow mal around here somewhere. Take a look at it for a little more info.

Ted

I'm not a BASE jumper, but from what I understand the foam cap or PVC is standard on base gear, not a small, free floating handle?

I thought briefly about the internal handle, but decided not to sacrifice grip or having the handle get swallowed into the pouch or slip around.

IMO the pud type handle dangling away from the PC would be the worst for WS flying when it comes to wanting to avoid a PC wrap.
Why use a film canister and not the wiffle ball or lightweight hackey?

Since this rig is my primary wingsuit rig, and I have another rig which I use for freeflying, I decided to give it a try

oh ok i'd guess it would be ok in that huge burble behind your suit and the rig. also you suck for having two rigs:P:P
I swear you must have footprints on the back of your helmet - chicagoskydiver
My God has a bigger dick than your god -George Carlin

I think it looks gay!!!!!!!!

But when it rains and we get bored who knows what kind of stuff might happen.

Nice anal picture taking there Theo -- wheres the pics of me in the sugarglider.

HaHa
Jason

The pimp hand is powdered up ... say something stupid

I'm not a BASE jumper, but from what I understand the foam cap or PVC is standard on base gear, not a small, free floating handle?

That depends on the size of the PC. Very roughly, no handle is standard for very large PC's (48 or so) that are meant solely for hand held use. Flat cordura caps are standard for (standard, workhorse) PC's meant for slider down stowed jumps (42 or so), internal, cordura patch, floating and external handles are all seen on PC's meant for stowed, slider up use.

The floating handle is the latest thing on the scene, and probably the best option from a technical standpoint (no snag points and no apex-weight deformation of the PC during inflation).

Two reasons I can think of:

1) If it falls out and you lose the handle, film cannisters are cheap.
2) It's the same shape as the standard PVC handle that BASE jumpers were used to.

For a full blown discussion of floating handles, I'd recommend posting on the BASE forum.
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

... having the handle get swallowed into the pouch or slip around.

No way. The handle isn't going to accidentally go into the pouch, unless your BOC is totally wore out. I had a hard time pushing it in there on purpose.

IMO the pud type handle dangling away from the PC would be the worst for WS flying when it comes to wanting to avoid a PC wrap.

Totally agreed. I really didn't like that handle. If I'd had a hackey on there, I wouldn't have replaced it. IMHO, sunrise needs to take a look at how others do freefly handles, and get theirs straightened out.

I had a flim canister sitting around, from taking pics of the mod. :P I was thinking about putting the freefly handle in there, but it was way too big and difficult to pack. I'm a videographer, so film canisters are cheap and easy to come by.

Ted

oh ok i'd guess it would be ok in that huge burble behind your suit and the rig. also you suck for having two rigs:P:P

Yeah, I'd feel comfortable doing anything but hardcore sit flying in it, and after I've jumped it some, I may even feel comfortable doing that.

I also have two wingsuits and 1000 jumps :P The tough life of a tandem video whore. :ph34r:

Ted

I also have two wingsuits

Son of a bitch you already got your V-1 ---I thought that they were going to all be shipped together.

What he meant to say is he hopes to have 2 wingsuits in about 2 to 3 weeks - he has paid for 2 wingsuits but he only has one in his posession.

Ted, I hate giving you so much shit but its really fun!

Voodew

The pimp hand is powdered up ... say something stupid

I did 4 WS jumps with the floating handle this weekend, and had no problem grabbing it, and no other deployment issues. It also stayed secure all weekend. Packing is a little more difficult (very little) and I had one problem: the cap popped off the film canister 'handle' when I was sitting on it in the plane. Still no trouble deploying, but I'm going to glue it in this week and solve that issue. No lost film canisters, either. So far, so good.

Ted