greybeard

birdman rodeo

Here is a topic i would like to learn more about.

I would hope this thread could, in an orderly and slow instuctional way, be a learning tool type thing.

Duece,' the king of rodeo', your input in a slow, ( so I can think it thru), fashion would sure be welcome.

Lets start with, what is a wingsuit rodeo?........

Dirtdive, exit,.....what else is there....what could possibly go wrong?

Not to knock anyones fun but.....

My opinion is, Wingsuit Rodeo's are fun, right up until the rider puts there foot accidently through your leg wing or tears your suit fabric. [:/]

This is when people start complaining to the manufacturer of some kinda bad workmanship or using faulty material. >:(
I have seen it happen twice. [:/]

The added stress from the passengers extra weight isn't good for the suit either, but it's your suit, feel free to damage it as you please.

Just don't whine if it get broken!;)

Keeping it safe!
Ed

I have seen it a few times
www.WestCoastWingsuits.com
www.PrecisionSkydiving.com

The best rider I has was a very experienced horseback rider, Farrah Doolittle. She was very easy. I've also taken a couple of guys, the heaviest being deBar.

You want the rider to have their hips right against the bottom of your container. The bigger the container, the more awkward, because then the rider is behind your center of gravity.

On exit, have them hold your riser covers and already have their outboard leg wrapped tightly around your hip. On exit have them hold their body tightly against your container and wrap their other leg. Like I tell people I take on fast motorcycle rides, "align your spine with my spine at all times" Once flight is attained, then the rider can sit up. Again, if they keep centered it's not all that hard.

If the suit is close to being flown maxed, you will be ferociously hauling ass. To get rid of the rider just have them sit up straight and they'll get stripped right off.

:)
Mark, sorry for the delayed answer.

Nice set up post. Thanks JP.

I would like to have a resonable way to explain to....
and entice riders. Got any suggestions?

Show them this picture:

Looks like fun, huh?

As to Katiebutt and the Birdmonster from Lodi: yeah, we were trying to do that deal where the rider surfs the birdman. It is WAY harder than it looks. The forward speed with the weight of a guy is super fast and they uniformly get peeled off.

"Yeah I jumped. A little. At first."

:P

As for flying dudes, the coolest dudes, comfortable with rodeo, must have an adoring female counterpart who wants to get closer to the after action action. Yeah, I can see the picture. I've seen JP in such social environs, the man has a plan, I'll bettcha.

Here's another question. Told you I'd pester the hell out of you.

Have you established a communication vehicle between rider and horse, ie, tugs or hand signles, to ready the partner for slow forward speed, thus being able to sit upright. Or, dump the rider in case of traffic issues, or anything else?

How does your remote video guy tell what is going to happen next?

Does your exit senerio work equally well from a tailgate as from a side door?

Tail gates work equaly well,especially if you want to do a few back loops on exit. Recommend you have the rider position in the door first and grab the overhead bar then have the Birdman back up to the rider so she/he can grab your riser cover. One leg up on the Birdmans thigh helps the transition during launch as well.

As far as communication with the rider thats done on the ground beforehand. Usually a shake by the rider to the birdman lets him know the rider is ready for the count. During the flight the only communication thats going on is if the Birdman decides it's getting too hairy and the universal head signal for "NO" usually works for letting the rider know to get off. Break off altitude is coordinated on the ground and the rider can simply roll off to one of the sides.

An experienced rider will have no trouble sitting up if they are positioned correctly on the Birdman.
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING