The111

inflatabelt + wingsuit

I'm about to buy an "inflatabelt" flotation gear for the upcoming Keys Boogie. I've never seen or used one before but I understand they go around your waist like a hip-pack.

I've asked this question before and had one person tell me that you wear it under your wingsuit, and one person tell me that you wear it over the wingsuit, threaded through the arm cables.

Maybe both are valid solutions, but I'm curious to know what everyone else thinks...

I'm leaning towards putting it under the suit, by the logic that if a water landing is impending I can easily unzip the entire front of the suit and undo my chest strap (before splashdown) and have easy access to the flotation gear. But again, I haven't seen the gear so I don't know what is best...
www.WingsuitPhotos.com

Like Perry said. Around your waist and UNDER your suit. As a personal preference I disconnect the co2 cartridge to prevent a premature inflation while wearing it under the suit. The manual inflation mouth piece valve will work fine with about 2-6 breaths depending on your lung capacity. To use it: undo your chest strap, take both front zippers down to your knees, pull the LPU out of the container, put it over your head, tie or zip the front to secure it. (depends on model), inflate it by using the mouth piece valve until its rigid. Follow your water landing procedures from there.

GET FAMILIAR WITH THE LPU UNIT BEFORE YOU WEAR IT ON A JUMP. TAKE IT OUT OF THE CONTAINER AND INSPECT IT, INFLATE IT WHILE YOU ARE WEARING IT ON THE GROUND.

To deflate it so you can pack it back into the container, pull the manual inflation valve to release the trapped air. (read the unit directions)

Scream for help while you are in the air! Sound travels...

See ya there!

Was not a personal attack against you or your advice. You make very good points on the side of safety and I agree with you fully. Just caught me as funny.

I'm sure The111 looked at your profile, as everyone should and took that into perspective when reading advice. Would only back you up more as being correct.

Just my two cents, based on three wingsuit ocean landings, one with flotation and two without...

I found that a little float buoy mounted on my wrist was more than sufficient the first time I landed a wingsuit in the ocean. I'm not sure how long you'd have to stay afloat, but you don't really need much flotation--just something to hang onto.
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

I found that a little float buoy mounted on my wrist was more than sufficient the first time I landed a wingsuit in the ocean. I'm not sure how long you'd have to stay afloat, but you don't really need much flotation--just something to hang onto.

Sounds good to me... I was actually worried the inflatabelt might not fit under my WS, which fits snug around the waist already. I'm a strong swimmer and could easily do the dead-man float until I die from dehydration anyway. B|

So I want to try your solution, but the problem is I can't find any new flotation gear sold except the inflatabelt. Where would I get a "little float buoy" to mount on my wrist?
www.WingsuitPhotos.com

Some thing to look at and for you to think about. I make a good deal of work related water jumps and flotation can be used in 2 different ways. 1 is for the person only, the 2nd is for the person and the rig( flotation device for each). Now throw in the wingsuit. While I can see the benefits/reasons for wearing it underneath the suit the issue that you need to think about and route you want to take. If you have it underneath your suit can you easily activate it with either hand and once activated will it fully inflate under your suit to keep you afloat? This is assuming you can't or don't want to get out of the suit/rig. The down side of this is if you get out of your suit/rig it is probably gone forever to the ocean.

With the device on the outside of the suit attached to you or the rig you have the option of staying in the rig and being recovered with all of your gear ,getting out of it is not an option as the device will prevent you from taking the suit off.

Idealy, one wants to be recovered with their gear complete. My personal option is to wear it exposed but that is based on the way I am accustomed to doing things in my job and my being accustomed to being in the water in a rig.
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

Where would I get a "little float buoy" to mount on my wrist?

Mine was given to me at the exit point by one of the nice Scots who was too smart to jump in those conditions. He said they were standard issue for students at his DZ. Let me see if I can find some more info.
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

Idealy, one wants to be recovered with their gear complete. My personal option is to wear it exposed but that is based on the way I am accustomed to doing things in my job and my being accustomed to being in the water in a rig.

Thanks for your input Scott. Can you describe a little better how you attach it exposed, and if you are using an "inflatabelt" or something different? As I told Tom, I can't seem to find new gear for sale other than the Stearns inflatabelt.

To be honest (criticize if you want), I'm not too worried about a water landing or losing my gear if I do have one. But wearing on the outside sounds attractive to me since I really am wondering if I can fit that 8" x 4" x 2" (according to Paragear) hip-pack under my already snug suit.
www.WingsuitPhotos.com

Actually the belt type is designed to go around the waist. This is the method to secure it to your lower body. I wore an extremely tight GTI at last years boogie. (thats why I removed the co2 cartridge) It went underneath the suit ok. LouDiamond has some very good points on ditching the rig or rigging your equipment to stay afloat. With the belt type it "if you elect to keep your equipment on" will operate in a manner to make this possible. I do have a wrist style flotation device if you want to use it. I'll be there Friday morning.

I do have a wrist style flotation device if you want to use it. I'll be there Friday morning.

Wow, thanks for the offer. I will probably bring an inflatabelt, so unless I can't make that work somehow, I should be ok. I'm sure someone will be able to benefit from your generosity though...

Cya there!
www.WingsuitPhotos.com