ChasingBlueSky

Flat Spin Question

Well, I am part of the flock now (thanks to Kris for lending me his GTI). Thanks to Scott (not LouD) for the coaching as well! I averaged 90mph on the first jump and lows 70s on my 2nd. I even did my third BM jump from the chopper (about 21 seconds of flight jumping from 7k and dumping about 5K). Too bad it will be a while before I can afford my own GTI!

I've been reading Kevin's site and as much as possible on Wing Suit Flying since I have been home from the convention. My question has to deal with flat spins (and I did see the video on Kevin's site).

What is the best order for trying to fix them? This is my guess: 1)Ball Up to try to stop the spin 2) Arch out of the ball then extend wings 3) If spin can't be stopped, pull wing cutaway handles.

Please let me know if my thoughts are wrong on this.

Thanks

What is the best order for trying to fix them? This is my guess: 1)Ball Up to try to stop the spin 2) Arch out of the ball then extend wings 3) If spin can't be stopped, pull wing cutaway handles.

Please let me know if my thoughts are wrong on this.

Thanks

Check this thread out.

Welcome to the flock.
Kris.

Great thread to dig up, Kris...

I had my first spin at the convention and tried once to collapse my wings and arch out of it and it was immediately obvious that the only way out was to ball up. Superwoman watched it from above and said the reaction time was really quick. It seemed like it was happening in super slow motion though.

Katie

Katie
Get your PMS glass necklace here

Hi All,

I had a spin (dont know if it was flat or not, it was happening too quickly ;-)) on the weekend on my 4th s3 jump- I wasnt concentrating properly on exit and opened up the wings asymetrically while looking over my left shoulder to try to find another Birdman.

World went crazy and I went into a ball. Held it for a while, tried to open up, world still crazy, balled up again for a few seconds, flipped over and then opened up into normal flight.

I am very glad I had good BMI to start with and that I had read the threads on this forum.

Simon

I think the so called wingsuit flat spin is a bit confusing term. In my opinion it resembles the tandem side spin way more than a normal flat spin as in normal side spin the relative wind is coming to your belly and you spin relative to your "heading axis".

In a side spin the relative wind hits you from the side (and causes it) and rotates the body so that the wings make up a kind of propeller shape against the airflow. This makes the side spin to build up so fast as it does. The side spin usually starts because a bad exit and air hitting from the side or after an unsuccessive aerobatic move falling on one side.

"Fear is the path to the Dark side"
(Master Yoda)

I was on that dive with Jari and it was quite a spectacle. He was spinning so fast he was a blur, but when those cutaways came out he was nearly instantly stable. BTW, he kept the cutaways in his left hand .. he didn't lose them!

Welcome to the flock, Brian! It was a pleasure to be your BMI!

Scott

Jari got in a flattie so bad this year that he had to chop his wings. Balling up didn't do the trick. I think it was this year anyway....

Well, that was on a more intense suit, as I understand it.

If you're in flat spin, balling up works great. If it isn't working great, cutaway your wings. With the suits most of us are flying now (Classic - S3), chopping the wings probably is necessary. This may change with the next generation of "big" suits.
"¯"`-._.-¯) ManBird (¯-._.-´"¯"

Click