dragon2

Lightning for BM?!?

yes, I jump a cobalt 105 with my SF3

I know that (you got the merrygoround vid right :P) but, what does your jumping a small HP 9cell have to do with my question about jumping a 7cell dedicated CReW canopy?! That is also smallish, okay :P

ciel bleu,
Saskia

ok...
I have jumped a 7 cell spectre 170 sq ft. Its not small like the one you are talking about, but 7 cells usually open consistant and on heading. Flair was nice..

Basically would it be a good idea to DS to that canopy for BM?
Probally not.

Could it be done safley with the right training?
Sure
Leroy

..I knew I was an unwanted baby when I saw my bath toys were a toaster and a radio...

is it doable?

PD claims that an F111/ZP hybrid or all F111 Lightning can be deployed at terminal.

Why now? Just put on a sail slider, d-bag, and normal bridle and PC. Pack it like a normal canopy. Hell, you could make a non-vented BASE canopy snivel if it was rigged up like this.
"¯"`-._.-¯) ManBird (¯-._.-´"¯"

Click

The smaller Lightnings are only available in ZP only. I've got about 10 jumps on a ZP 143 with 7 to 9 secs of freefall.

DON'T DO THAT [:/]

(it kinda hurts ya know)

However I did jump my 126 out of a Fokker 60 (bagged and w/slider). In fact I'm going to do that again in 2 weeks. This was strongly advised against by some CReW dogs, others said it'd be okay. It is.

But did anyone try a ZP 143, 126 or 113 for BirdMen before??

ciel bleu,
Saskia

A Lightning is close in design to a Dragon ;)

A Lightning is acceptible for Wingsuiting if you pack the thing to snivel for ever and put a sail slider on it. The retractible PC is not the best idea and neither is free packing it in my opinion for BM jumps. I'd be more likely to buy a vented Troll and have a killer BASE canopy and something you can take to terminal and have survivable openings if you pack it right.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

Why a normal bridle/PC?

As long as the bridle is long enough (the one on my hybrid Triathlon 120 is, tho barely) what's the problem? My 120 has been birdmanned w/the CReW bridle/PC.

I think tho I'd have to check, that the Lightning has a shorter bridle then a Tri because it has one attachment point less. Then on a small Lightning the bridle could be too short.

ciel bleu,
Saskia

Lightnings flare like shit ;) Le Roy go jump a Lightning once. It is unlike any canopy you've ever jumped. Not even your BASE canopy opens as hard or lands as bad as a loaded Lightning can.

Comparing a Lightning to a Spectre is like comparing a Parafoil to a Velocity. What, they are both 7 cells!
Yesterday is history

Parachutemanuals.com

Is the seller serious?? I own a Lightning, and it is a nice 7 cell, but .....

I don't see anything really wrong with it. I watched the US National CREW team jump PD 107s last week while in Lake Wales all day with no issues. I see no reason why it wouldn't work for BM jumps either.

PD claims that an F111/ZP hybrid or all F111 Lightning can be deployed at terminal.

It's true. I jump a 110 and 101 Firebolt which is a hybrid for BM and Camera jumps with no issues. In fact, having just put quite a few jumps on a Katana 107, I can honestly say that the Firebolt has a better glide ratio than the Katana. However, the Firebolt and katana are very similar in all other areas. As for F111 and terminal, thats all anybody jumped before ZP was around and is still used extensively on military chutes. My work rig is a 370 sq ft. F111 7 cell that I have deployed as high as 25K feet out the back of a C130 without issue.

Now the Lightning wouldn't be my first choice of canopies if I was looking to put a BM specific rig together,especially when there are butt loads of Sabres and other similar canopies out there that can be had for a steal.
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

Scott, the issue of it being hybrid is not the question of taking it to terminal, its is a question of if the design is approriate. I'll ask this, have you jumped a Lightning? Have you taken a terminal delay on a Lightning?

My long delay on a Lightning knocked me out under canopy for a few seconds, tore open my arms from the rig pinching skin as I slamed down in the harness and it knocked my back out for 2 weeks. And that was with a Sail slider...
Yesterday is history

Parachutemanuals.com

have you jumped a Lightning? Have you taken a terminal delay on a Lightning?

Yes I have. I had a friend who introduced me to the Lightning thinking he could get a few laughs. I will agree that it opens hard but so do some original Sabres if not packed right and it's nothing compared to some of the openings I've had under a T-10 with full combat load 500 feet off the deck. Again, I think there are better choices out there and I wouldn't personally choose that canopy, but I was answering the original question.
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

Jumped a lightning 143 several times, also on terminal (with slider, bag and I rolled the nose)
It was the first and only canopy able to break your bag on opening and your limbs on landing. It flares like shit.:(:S

But as you gain more jumping expecience you usually get more clever (or insane) and I sold the canopy. I went back to my stiletto 135 for freefall jumps (did not do any birdman jumps with it)

I would never recommend someone to buy such a canopy other than for CRW only.

For other purposes like BM: buy yourself a nice opening and superb flaring Spectre:P

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Using your droque to gain stability is a bad habit,
Especially when you are jumping a sport rig

Funny I should see your post today. I just tried my L-143 on a WS jump yesterday. This was somewhat out of necessity, as my Stiletto is getting relined. :( I thought it would be OK, however,because of the lower deployment speeds. It's something I've wanted to try, but hadn't gotten around to. I was a little concerned about the bridle length, because the bridle string isn't too long, so I added some length to it with some 1" tape (a couple od cross connectors worked fine :P). I used my usual CRW rig for the jump, and this caused some concern at the DZ.:o This is the rig I use for competition / big-way CRW, so it has all of the classic fearures thereof (lots of hook knives, crazy risers, rubber chicken, etc. :S). It gets those usual "looks" from non-CRWDogs. I do have some extended riser covers, that almost cover the risers, toggles, 2-to-1's, etc., so I tucked everything in nice and tight, and I was good to go.;)
I did a 2-way with a buddy flying a SF3 and he looked my backpack over as we were flying formation. He didn't run away, so I figured all was cool. :P It turned out to be a really great jump. The opening was slightly harder than a CRW hop and pop. This was probably due to my mesh slider. I think I will either replace it with a solid one or cover it with a piece of fabric for the next WS jump.

I use a psycho pack job on my Lightning, and deploy it from a bag, so I usually get pretty easy openings. I wouldn't try this with a free-packed Lightning. B|

I'm glad I finally tried this, because now I can keep a rig integrated with the WS and jump that in between CRW weekends.:)
Disclaimer: This was my experience from one jump. I'm not recommending this, so if you try it, and end up going in wrapped in a ball of nylon, or something, don't blame me. ;)

kevin k.
======================
Seasons don't fear the Reaper,
nor do the Wind, the Sun, or the Rain...

Hey Kevin, good to hear your still Birdmaning and not engulfed in that CREW thing;)

Yeah. This gives me the best of both worlds - wingsuit flight and a goofy canopy to land. ;)

Kevin
======================

Lightnings open pretty good (with sail sliders) but smaller Lightnings flare like bag locks!

From what I've seen, it's all in the technique.
I've seen some pretty good surfs from 143s, 126s, and 113s. Then again, I've seen the bag lock landings B|. It's certainly an acquired skill.

kevin
======================