Kramer

Wing-Suit Requirements

At one point in time (for one reason or another), I was under the impression that you had to have 500 skydives in order to make a wing-suit dive. But now I see people with only ~200 jumps making wing-suit dives...so I'm curious what the requirements on that are.

I realize either way I'm still pretty far away from being able to make one...but they look fun as hell, so I'm just curious how much longer I gotta wait. ;) Thanks in advance.

The FAKE KRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAMER!!!!!!!!!

The recommended guidelines are 500 jumps where they can give you the ground training and you can go up solo; or, 200 very current skydives (this is the category I fall into) with ground training and coached jumps. I've made 8 wingsuit jumps (4 on my own suit) and every jump has been a coached jump.:)

Katie
Get your PMS glass necklace here

Birdman Inc recommends 500 jumps regardless of location. However, if the individual has at a minimum of 200 curerent jumps(within the last 18 months), they can go up with an instructor after having received one on one ground instruction and in flight training from a certified Birdman instructor.
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

Birdman Inc recommends 500 jumps regardless of location. However, if the individual has at a minimum of 200 curerent jumps(within the last 18 months), they can go up with an instructor after having received one on one ground instruction and in flight training from a certified Birdman instructor.

From the time I looked at some wingsuit flight videos, I knew I just had to fly a wingsuit.

I started jumping on Oct 5, 2003 and have have 111 jumps to date. I am waiting eagerly to get the remaining 100 or so jumps in so that I can get instruction and try a wingsuit.

I need to hit the Gym and start to get in shape.

Are there any birdman instructors in Houston, Texas?

I have a Mirage G4 with a regular size PC Bridle and a "freefly pud" handle. Is it better to get a PC with a 100-120" bridle and a hackey handle?

Kris.

Nice jump number. B| I did my first BM jump on like 192 I think, then cutaway from linetwists on 210 and reserve opening hurt my back since I left my leg wing a bit opening between handles. [:/] Should be jumping again within a few more weeks...
www.WingsuitPhotos.com

I started jumping on Oct 5, 2003 and have have 111 jumps to date. I am waiting eagerly to get the remaining 100 or so jumps in so that I can get instruction and try a wingsuit.

Hi Kris
Please be aware just because someone has the 200 jumps within the 18 months doesnt mean they are ready to jump into a wing suit and fly. There are many thing that you need to work on before you can just put one on and be stable enough to fly one.
Work on your exit's in the tracking position and be good enough to remain stable without bringing your arms up to the boxman position and remain there for the entire jump. A tracking jump so to speak.
Also, get really comfortable with your openings and not reaching for the risers as it opens.
These are a couple of things you can work on while getting to your 200 jumps.
As for your gear? Not everyone jumps with a longer bridle. Just know your gear well and get proper BMI Instruction from a REAL BMI Instructor and you'll be fine.
Be safe.
www.WestCoastWingsuits.com
www.PrecisionSkydiving.com

Thanks so much for the advise. I did intend to get Instruction from a real BM-I.

I will do most of my exits from now in the tracking position just to get the practice even if I am doing something else on the dive.

Since I am jumping out of an otter, I believe I will have to practice jumping out with legs together and arms next to the sides(wings collapsed) and then go to the tracking position(about 2 secs later).

What about the openings? Should these be in a slight track? Or should I practice with the arms at the tracking position but bent knees thing? I jump a Sabre 2 190 (WL 1.1).

Kris.

Thanks so much for the advise. I did intend to get Instruction from a real BM-I.

I will do most of my exits from now in the tracking position just to get the practice even if I am doing something else on the dive.

Since I am jumping out of an otter, I believe I will have to practice jumping out with legs together and arms next to the sides(wings collapsed) and then go to the tracking position(about 2 secs later).

Thats cool. Exit from inside the plane facing the front and do a short hop to the left keeping the head high and watch the plane fly away.

What about the openings? Should these be in a slight track?

Not nessesarily. Just get used to the openings without having to steer with your risers as it inflates. Try to pack for on heading openings and get them consistent.

Or should I practice with the arms at the tracking position but bent knees thing? I jump a Sabre 2 190 (WL 1.1).

Just practice pulling with both hands, as though you were throwing 2 PC's. One from each side.

Hope this helps.
www.WestCoastWingsuits.com
www.PrecisionSkydiving.com

I'm not sure a Wingsuit opening feels like an opening in a track at all. I usually track pretty damn quick in my booty suit. Keep in mind that in a wingsuit, you'll be going much slower vertically so while you're travelling further horizontally it doesn't really feel like a track. (Or not to me anyways.)

I don't know that there's anything you can really do to prepare besides reading the forums and mentally preparing yourself. Especially when it comes to emergency procedures.

Also, pay real close attention to your current openings. Are they fast, slow, on heading, etc. A slightly off-heading or turning canopy could turn into massive line twists very quickly in a BM suit.

Personally, the biggest adjustment for me in a BM suit was the deployment itself. Forcing myself to change my body position from my flight position to an arched, bent knee, head up deploying position and then waiting for line stretch before moving took some mental training.

Hope that helps.

Katie

Please be aware just because someone has the 200 jumps within the 18 months doesnt mean they are ready to jump into a wing suit and fly.

Too true. Track and track and track and max track and max track. Someone who has 200 jumps and spent the last 25 in a max track would probably be a better wingsuit candidate than someone with 500 jumps that's never dedicated a freefall to tracking. If you want to fly a wingsuit at 200 jumps, work on getting a stable max track. Like Ed said, you should be able to deploy symmetrically (and therefore stable) without reaching for the risers.
"¯"`-._.-¯) ManBird (¯-._.-´"¯"

Click

Thanks for the input ManBird and Katie. I will work a lot on the exit and deployment.

There have been a few freefly jumps that I have gone to belly at 9K and tracked (off the line of light). I will get a lot of tracking jumps in and some pointers from the experienced trackers at our DZ.

Kris.

Kramer and KrisFlyZ will be birdpeople soon. (soon is relative, but they will join the flock).
and the day they will do a 3 way with KawiZX900 (spelling ?) they will be the KKK flock :P
scissors beat paper, paper beat rock, rock beat wingsuit - KarlM

Kramer and KrisFlyZ will be birdpeople soon. (soon is relative, but they will join the flock).
and the day they will do a 3 way with KawiZX900 (spelling ?) they will be the KKK flock :P

Hey, I live in North Georgia... gotta be careful with initials like that!:D

Katie