skybytch

LQRS

A few questions for everyone with BirdMan suits regarding usage of the LQRS system. My suit doesn't have it; I'm hoping that your answers will help me when my customers ask if it's worth it.

Do you have it on your suit?

If you do, do you BASE your suit?

If you do, have you used it? What was the situation that caused you to use it?

If you have it but haven't used it yet, what hypothetical situation would cause you to use it?

Whether you've used it or not, do you think it was worth the extra cost? Would you include it on your next suit?

Thanks!

The LQRS is a good idea if you jump a canopy that may be prone to line twists or your jump a high performance canopy. People starting off usually have several flights with line twists due to poor body position during deployment among other things regardless of the canopy characteristics. The Classic II and GTI have smaller leg wings than the SF3 so kicking fully while the legs are still on does not give you as much range The principal use for it is in any situation where you would need to get at least one leg free quickly in order to either kick out of line twists or free your leg due to the zipper jamming. It was initially designed for BASE jumpers but the obvious benefits make it ideal for regualr flights as well. The LQRS also increases a suits resale value as do any of the options that are not standard when selling a suit. I have seen Jari use his on a regular flight as well as a few others and all have said it's worth the extra money when you find yourself in a situation where you have to use it. It has been my experience that those who have suits without the LQRS have later wished they had suits with the LQRS or would get the option on their next suit. If your budget can take it, it is a worthwhile option to invest in. Unlike other options , the LQRS has a potentially life saving function.

Let me add that if one opts for the BASE pilot chute pocket on the suit that the LQRS can only be put on the left leg due to space constraints.
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

A few thoughts:

1) I'm a big ole fat guy. If you're thick through the thighs, working the zippers is a big pain. Plus, I've got limited flexibility in my right ankle (due to the 13 screws), so it's an even bigger pain for me. I think that skinny, flexible people need the LQRS a lot less than fat, inflexible people.

2) I typically get under canopy around 300-500'. That means that I don't have enough time to screw around with the zipper.

3) Even on skydives, where I'm under canopy by 3000', I usually just pull the leg cutaway instead of mucking around with the zipper.

Do you have it on your suit?

Yes. I even have one suit that I retrofitted with LQRS on both sides of the leg.

If you do, do you BASE your suit?

What else would you do with it? :P

If you do, have you used it? What was the situation that caused you to use it?

I use it on about 95% of my jumps. It's my regular method for opening the legs. I find it quicker and more convenient than the zippers.

Whether you've used it or not, do you think it was worth the extra cost?

Yes.

Would you include it on your next suit?

Yes. I wouldn't jump a birdman suit without it.
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

I have a LQRS on the S3, Once due to line twists, I tried to cuttaway my wings and instead came away with one wing and the leg released. This was never a problem on suits without the LQRS to which I'm accustomed to cutting away the wings precisely, without having to look down.

Another time with a total, then a two canopy out situation, I accidentally neglected to un-zip my legs. Realizing this too low to be able to take the time to do so, the LQRS came in handy. Another time the zipper pull came off the zipper, again LQRS to the rescue.

I'm still torn on the issue. Most of my friends have it. They eventually want to base jump and they believe it increases resale value ( their opinion ). Like in Tom's situation flexibility may be an factor.

IF I was to consider BASE then I would order the suit with an LQRS on both sides, even if it meant having a used suit modified.

Having a third or even a fourth cuttaway handle means there is an added procedural awareness to contend with.

Funny this was brought up cause i was talking to a friend of mine about them yesterday. I have a Skyflyer with the LQRS, and i have used it to "try" to untwist myself out of line twists. I dont base jump, so i really can comment on that part. I wasnt really pleased with the way it worked on that use, but i would get it on my next suit. The only reason i didnt like it was the fact that when i opened in line twists i pulled my LQRS and kicked my leg out of the suit, which put my canopy in a spin, harness shift possibly? It was very benificial at landing time cause i didnt have time to get my legs out. My thought on this is that if you are flying a birdman suit you should have every cutaway option cause you never know when you will need it, whether it worked "perfectly" or not. J-Rock

Im gonna need a bigger hammer....

Have it on both of my suits, haven't used them. No BASE jumping.

Reasons I got them: Resale value, and the 'oh sh#T I am low and havent gotten my legs undone and need to worry about landing' factor.

Hopefully during flight, you are assesing altitude, pattern, taking into account ground winds when you took off, but mistakes do happen. Focusing on finding an out takes priority, and I would chop the leg and focus on landing if I thought I couldn't make it back.

Kicking out of line twists is another benefit previously mentioned.

j

I have it on my S3 (and will on my next suit), but do not have it on my GTi, nor did I have it on either of my two Classics. I have only pulled it one time (I pulled all three handles on a very bad spinner). I do not BASE jump, and I really don't think I would buy the option on an S3 or a Classic. The wing is short enough on a Classic that you can simply run out a landing with the leg zipped in and the stance is wide enough on an S3 that you can do the same. Granted, you might possibly tear the tail of the S3 on such a landing, but you are not so restricted (like on a regular SkyFlyer) that you can't jog.

Yo !

LQRS is a nice option to have as a backup, especially if you are going to pull low (i.e. BASE) and run out the landing, or if you're composed of metal and grease (i.e. Tom A).

Now with all the low pulls i do, i have only used LQRS once to practice the procedure and somehow never needed it in real life. Then again, i have only ever used wing cutaways twice (on sub200' openings). Guess i'm really happy with zippers.

I would still get the option on the new suit. It doesn't hurt to have an efficient zipper backup.

bsbd!

Yuri.