BravestDog

Wingsuit Tandem questions. Hypothetical.

I'll assume wingsuit tandems are not available at the moment.

If wingsuit tandems were possible, how would they differ from the normal tandem flight?

If a passenger was exposed to both flights, would the wingsuit tandem be more enjoyable because it covers more distance?

Would if be obvious or subtle to the passenger that a wingsuit flight would be covering a few miles in horizontal distance?

Please add anything relative that I may have overlooked. The topic is tandem wingsuit flights and the difference to the passenger as compared to a standard tandem skydive.

Thankyou.

Wingsuit tandems have been done by highly experienced jumpers. The risk factor just is too high. Tandems are risky jumps, throw into the mix a wingsuit and you've got danger factors off the scale.

A first time jumper is too over whelmed by the experience to notice things like distance covered, time in the air, things like that.

Why don't you head to a DZ and experience wingsuit flight for yourself? :)
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

wingsuit tandems are not efficent, you're practically falling nearly straight down.

Is that also true if both jumpers are experienced wingsuit flyers?

I wonder if you could design a "tandem" wingsuit, intended to take advantage of the configuration--kind of a biplane wingsuit.

Sounds scary. I think I'd rather do a tandem BASE jump.
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

wingsuit tandems are not efficent, you're practically falling nearly straight down.

I wonder if you could design a "tandem" wingsuit, intended to take advantage of the configuration--kind of a biplane wingsuit.

Yes both were experienced wingsuit jumpers, I believe vladi was one of them.

I just about talked one of my tandem instructors into doing a 1 wing tandem wiht me being the passenger wearing a wingsuit basically a rodeo, but they backed out at the last minute.

Hi,
I have made together with Neno one tandem jump were both of us were equipped wit Skyflyers. It has happened in July 2000.
I was passenger and Neno was Tandem master. We jumped from 4000 m and we were falling at glide ratio 1:1 at the speed of 170 km/h.
Neno pulled the drog chute at 1500m and soon after opened the main. Jump was fun and quite safe ;)

However , don't try unless you feel very confident in what you doing in the freefall

Regards
Robi
Robert Pecnik
[email protected]
www.phoenix-fly.com

Because of TM and passenger beiing so close together only one suit will do the flying. Theoretically the TM one, as lift is generated off the top of a wing.

Can't help feeling that because of the loading 92 persons body weight) the wings will not function and work more as regular camera wings and not as wingsuit wings.

- - - - - - - - -

We do not stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing!

Now that's an incredible idea. A biplane tandem wingsuit.

Has anyone ever tried it before?

Really? What's the difference between a drougless tandem birdman and a birdman rodeo WRT efficiency? I got a lot more airtime on a birdman rodeo with a 100 lb rider than I do on a normal skydive, let alone a drougless tandem.

Not argueing. You know a lot about Birdman - I know a bit about Tandem, just want to hear the logic.

t
It's the year of the Pig.

Really? What's the difference between a drougless tandem birdman and a birdman rodeo WRT efficiency? I got a lot more airtime on a birdman rodeo with a 100 lb rider than I do on a normal skydive, let alone a drougless tandem.

Not argueing. You know a lot about Birdman - I know a bit about Tandem, just want to hear the logic.

t

I'm not sure what you mean, a rodeo isn't very efficient either. The people i've come in contact who initially had this idea had the notion that you'd be "flying" just as if you were flying with a wingsuit.. it's a nice notion but as you know with a rodeo this is far from the truth. You don't cover much ground, a tracker without a wingsuit could cover "10 times" as much ground than a wingsuit rodeo or for that matter a wingsuit tandem. That is what I mean by "not efficent" add to the fact that you have much more risk when you throw tandem into the mix, what is the point? To say you've done it? Yeah I guess that's cool and i'd still be open to trying it but other than that all you've done is slowed a skydive down by marginal amounts. My rodeos are still around 120 MPH which is what my non wingsuit freefall (if I remember correctly :ph34r:) was around... perhaps all my people were more than 100 lbs. (but hey if you have ridden me and you're reading this, you don't look a pound over 98!)

p.s. i define efficient with respect to wingsuit flight as being able to cover considerably more distance than a non wingsuit flight at a considerably slower speed than a non wingsuit belly to earth flight given the same altitude and geographical considerations. Yes you could argue "if it's stable and you walk away from it, it was efficent" i guess... but that's not what i mean.

Ah. OK then. It's all about yardsticks.

I was happy that I fell slower "drougless" on a rodeo with a 100lb pax, than on a Tandem with my 50lb daughter with a drouge.

I certainly don't want to do a Tandem Birdman. Just interested in the theory.

My conclusions are WRT fallrate

Birdman = slow
Birdman rodeo, FS, Tandem with drouge = normal
Drougeless tandem, freefly = fast

Would a tracker be able to stay with a Birdman rodeo do you think?

y
It's the year of the Pig.

Would a tracker be able to stay with a Birdman rodeo do you think?

Definately, it was done at the Eloy boogie. Video looked great. I believe it was Jeffro and TJ if memory serves me who actually got a dock on the Birdman.
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING