ManBird

BASE PC Pouch Assembly Instructions

Just a couple differences:

The extra velcro behind the backpad is an excellent idea. I can always hear that rubbing around under canopy. I'll have to put some of that on.

I think the placement of the stitch (top vs bottom vs both) is just a matter of preference, as the shrivel flap does its job and then stays in the same place on the bridle. I'm sure some studies might find some minute differences that could give favor to one direction or the other, but none should result in failure.

Good work, man, as always. Though you need to change "convince" to "convenience". ;)
"¯"`-._.-¯) ManBird (¯-._.-´"¯"

Click

G'day Steve and Kevin,

Great job both of you!!

I know it was late, but one statement needs to be tidied up a little, as the double negative left my poor one syllable brain shaking:

"The shrivel flap should be permanently installed on your bridle do not install the shrivel flap and not tack down"

My new S-3 should arrive in a couple of weeks and I'm certainly planning on using the base PC pouch from the start, so both of the instruction sheets will be a great help to me.

Blue Skies,

fergs B|

are these recomended while flying GTi's and classics? Or are the wings simply small enough to not warrent this mod?

Thanks.

---------------------------------------------
let my inspiration flow,
in token rhyme suggesting rhythm...

are these recomended while flying GTi's and classics? Or are the wings simply small enough to not warrent this mod?

Thanks.

Nope. Your BOC is very easy to access on the Classic II and GTi, and isn't even too tough on the Skyflyer (though there is definitely some material there). The S3's wing can get in the way a lot, though.

Click

Thanks, fergs! You'll love it. I'm finding it difficult to go back to the BOC (though I do when working on aerobatics). Deploying is just too easy now. It kinda feels like cheating.

Well it's now yet another reason to look forward to my new S-3 arriving. Incidentally, I'll be pretty much all Aluminised Silver in the S-3. On occasion I jump my GTi into the center of Canberra (Australia's capital city). I reckon I'll show up on Canberra Approach radar in the new suit. Hahaha

Blue Skies,

fergs ;)

Thanks, fergs! You'll love it. I'm finding it difficult to go back to the BOC (though I do when working on aerobatics). Deploying is just too easy now. It kinda feels like cheating.

Well it's now yet another reason to look forward to my new S-3 arriving. Incidentally, I'll be pretty much all Aluminised Silver in the S-3. On occasion I jump my GTi into the center of Canberra (Australia's capital city). I reckon I'll show up on Canberra Approach radar in the new suit. Hahaha

Blue Skies,

fergs ;)

Ahh another space suit :) nice.

Just went through Kevin's again. It's frikkin' nUts how we did almost the exact same thing without having consulted each other at all.

I didn't catch the bit about the velcro ON the BOC at first. On my Wings with open corners (or a lot of rigs with open corners), you probably don't need that at all. However, on rigs that don't allow you to tuck the bridle away all the way down to the backpad, having a little bit of velcro on there to hold the exposed bridle in place is an excellent idea. Highly recommended.

Click

How do you arrive at 22' from pin to top of shrivel flap?

I don't base so I'm unfamiliar with base gear but why does the shrivel have to be sewn on the bridel? What kind of mall can this cause? A loose shrivel flap sliding up a bridle to constrict the PC causing a slow or never kind of main deployment malfunction?

How do you arrive at 22" from pin to top of shrivel flap?

Personally, I say pack it once and find out where it needs to be, as it will vary from rig to rig, though it will probably be in the neighborhood of 22" on any setup. I didn't measure mine at all, to be honest.

Click

How do you arrive at 22' from pin to top of shrivel flap?

I don't base so I'm unfamiliar with base gear but

why does the shrivel have to be sewn on the bridel? What kind of mall can this cause? A loose shrivel flap sliding up a bridle to constrict the PC causing a slow or never kind of main deployment malfunction?

22' came from Robert @ Birdman, it was an AT LEAST not "exact"

Not tacking it down could theoretically cause it to travel down to the PC and cut off the large opening where the bridle attaches where air goes in (yes it goes in the mesh fabric as well, but according to my rigger if the big holes are cut off there is an increased possibility of a PC in tow) -- the likelyhood of this may be slim, but it's still a good idea to tack it down.

Since I'm more of a BASE jumper than skydiver, I was wondering if anyone has acknowledged the potential for the shrivel flap to not be able to roll up because there is no extra bridle between your rig and the top of the shrivel flap?

This condition exists in BASE jumping if you don't have some excess bridle at the top of your shrivel flap. As the shrivel flap rolls up, it takes the bridle with it. You must have extra bridle at the top of the shrivel flap.

At the Bridge Day Birdman seminar, Robert specifically went over this issue.

Just curious how you guys are accounting for this, as I've not read about it in your BASE PC How-To's? I'm getting ready to sew the shrivel flap on my S3 and wonder if having no extra bridle is an issue....

Cya.
(c)2010 Vertical Visions. No unauthorized duplication permitted. <==For the media only

was wondering if anyone has acknowledged the potential for the shrivel flap to not be able to roll up because there is no extra bridle between your rig and the top of the shrivel flap?

Good question, I was wondering this myself the other day.

Also, is it possible, with a pin rig, that the bottom pin could get pulled before the velcro has completely shrivelled?

Did he say anything more than "leave enough excess"?

Gus
OutpatientsOnline.com

I'm not positive that the bottom pin could be pulled before shrivelling is complete, mainly because I just got my S3, but in theory.....yes.

The shrivel flap came about after a BASE death occurred as the result of a head-low deployment and subsequent PC in tow. As most of you know, Velcro is really strong when in shear (ie. birdman who deploy in full flight or BASE jumpers deploying head-low). Regardless of what discipline we're talking about, a shrivel flap needs excess bridle above it just as your main canopy has extra bridle above the closing pin (to extract the pin).

Robert did not go into great detail at Bridge Day 2003 about the excess bridle issue. However, he did show us how the shrivel flap will roll up and require excess bridle.....he emphasized that we allow enough bridle for this when we locate the shrivel flap.

Also, is it possible, with a pin rig, that the bottom pin could get pulled before the velcro has completely shrivelled?

Did he say anything more than "leave enough excess"?

(c)2010 Vertical Visions. No unauthorized duplication permitted. <==For the media only

Since I'm more of a BASE jumper than skydiver, I was wondering if anyone has acknowledged the potential for the shrivel flap to not be able to roll up because there is no extra bridle between your rig and the top of the shrivel flap?

This condition exists in BASE jumping if you don't have some excess bridle at the top of your shrivel flap. As the shrivel flap rolls up, it takes the bridle with it. You must have extra bridle at the top of the shrivel flap.

Just curious how you guys are accounting for this, as I've not read about it in your BASE PC How-To's? I'm getting ready to sew the shrivel flap on my S3 and wonder if having no extra bridle is an issue....

Cya.

\

Well I think the minimum of 22 inches from the pin SHOULD account for this i may be incorrect though. I guess I should make it more clear where the 22 inches comes from.

Cya.

\

Well I think the minimum of 22 inches from the pin SHOULD account for this i may be incorrect though. I guess I should make it more clear where the 22 inches comes from.

I installed my S3 shrivel a couple of days ago and yes, for me the 22 inches from pin to top of shrivel is more than enough slack. In fact, I also installed 2 inches of velcro to mate the bridle above the shrivel to my container bottom right corner just as extra assurance to keep the bridle seated as it goes up under the (Mirage G3) bottom corner protective flap and to it's old usual tucking away between corner and pin.

I have also developed a method of getting the PC to go all the way to the far inside top of the pouch - and will take some pics and open a new subject on this later today. It means that I can have a nice thinly rolled PC fill 100% of the pouch, making it snug as well as no bunching anywhere.

Blue Skies,

fergs:)