Bowie

How close have you been

I swoop the hell out of sky:ph34r:one and other tandems on a regular basis. I've got video some where of me swooping him close enough to damn near touch his end cell.If I get the time I'll make a swoop video of noting but birdman canopy swoops, lord knows I have tons of footage.
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

What would you recommend as an exit time for swooping canopies??

I left almost directly after a tandem this weekend and it was all I could do to catch up to them before deployment..and I was still 1000' yard out when I did.

Should I leave later, earlier, before them??

I would like to start swooping tandems and other canopy flyers, so any advice would help a great deal!!

Thanks y'all!

Kahurangi e Mahearangi,
Kiwi, RB #926, AFF-I, FAA Snr. Rigger, RN/BSN/Paramedic

What would you recommend as an exit time for swooping canopies??

I left almost directly after a tandem this weekend and it was all I could do to catch up to them before deployment..and I was still 1000' yard out when I did.

Should I leave later, earlier, before them??

I would like to start swooping tandems and other canopy flyers, so any advice would help a great deal!!

Thanks y'all!

It is all how you fly. I exit with the tandems but end up flying around in circles and burning off altitude.. you could wait longer and fly straight to them.... with the crew we'd dump out crew people 3 miles prior (since they were dumping right out the door) fly down to the dz drop the freeflyers out then do a 180 and fly back to the crew.. as soon as we were over the crew (or a few seconds later) we'd get out and fly to them.. intercepted them around 8K 7K feet.

Within a few feet, but for thirty seconds or so. We haven't docked yet, but Zaz (Jason Zaslaw) and I have found that we can match our flight almost exactly (I even have to fly my legs a little bent/dirty) when he is under his VX 68.

Personally, I like to leave the plane pretty much at the same time as the canopy pilot and have them open within 1500 feet of exit. Otherwise, you spend the whole flight diving.
"¯"`-._.-¯) ManBird (¯-._.-´"¯"

Click

Within a few feet, but for thirty seconds or so. We haven't docked yet, but Zaz (Jason Zaslaw) and I have found that we can match our flight almost exactly (I even have to fly my legs a little bent/dirty) when he is under his VX 68.

Personally, I like to leave the plane pretty much at the same time as the canopy pilot and have them open within 1500 feet of exit. Otherwise, you spend the whole flight diving.

Dude when ya gonna post some video of that?? :)