ManBird

Vengeance and wingsuit

So, I have over 200 WS jumps. My heading control on deployment is beyond dialed-in. I want a Vengeance 107 (which I'd load at 1.7). Am I just asking for something bad to happen if I put the two together?

Edited to add:

I'm about to start flying camera, and I'd really rather not do so with my Sabre (that's a Sabre 1).
"¯"`-._.-¯) ManBird (¯-._.-´"¯"

Click

So, I have over 200 WS jumps. My heading control on deployment is beyond dialed-in. I want a Vengeance 107 (which I'd load at 1.7). Am I just asking for something bad to happen if I put the two together?

Edited to add:

I'm about to start flying camera, and I'd really rather not do so with my Sabre (that's a Sabre 1).

Why yes, you are.

I have jumped a vengance a few time, less than 15 jumps on one but i've talked to other people who jump vengances and the openings seem to be inconsistent.. some vengances open good others open good half the time.. i think blair700 jumps a vengance with his wingsuit.

I'd say you're asking for a cutaway.

I hear the sabre2s are a good canopy to go with

I hear the sabre2s are a good canopy to go with

I agree 100%. Just looking for something divey. One option, which I'm definitely considering, is getting the Vengeance and just leaving it in my pond rig, never flying a WS with it. However, I would like to film WS jumps, and I think the difference between the two canopies might be great enough to throw me off at some point, if and when I get complacent (ie, used to turning at 400 on the Sabre, but I'm flying the Vengeance).

Click

Instead of the Vengence... look at the Samauri. I've only got 10 jumps on my WS now but my Jedei is proforming most excellent on the jumps once I figured out that getting stable helps a lot.

The Sam is a very nice canopy that I found opened so much better and predictible then the Vengence.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

Yo,

I jump a Vengenge 150 loaded at 1.56 or so, I love the canopy, but I want a Sabre2;)
My Vengence opens great, and its big enough that on the occasional line twist, it flies straight...however I think with enough twists it will start to dive. Especially if the risers are twisted and uneven. After opening, while the brakes are still stowed, the canopy is extremly sensitive to harness input, which for me, means I'm cruising all over the sky while trying to get the booties off. Not a problem usually, but the weekend I had at Raeford where the standard was at least 4 BM each dive, I found it took longer to get unzipped as I was constantly correcting my heading to be sure I was avoiding others.
All this can me managed with enough jumps I think. You could totally steer with your harness while unzipping with enough practice. This is my first true elliptical canopy, and it took awhile to get an onheading opening without the suit, but my body position is good now and I primarily use the canopy for tandem video (hey! gotta earn jumptix for WS jumps somehow!)
I have no problem jumping THAT canopy at THAT wingloading, but you are talking about a much smaller wing, where things could magnify quickly, even at the same wingloading. I'm sure with your general skydiving experience and WS experience, you'll be alright;), for me at this stage (500+regular and 30 WS) I'd rather not have to worry about a spinning, diving opening each time I jump the WS, its just a personal choice, not that its the RIGHT choice.
One day hopefully I can have a rig just for the WS with a conservative main and big reserve, and then a hot little rig for 'other' jumps. That's a ways down the road, and I LOVE wingsuit flying so much, I'm willing to sacrafice a little performance on the canopy side...plus moderatly loaded tapered wings can swoop like hell!!
Sorry for the ramble, if I was still a 'freeflyer', I'd be sticking with the Vengence, its really NOICE!!!
Hope this helps,
Blair

Personally, I am to the point in my skydiving carreer where I am prepared to use the proper tool for the job. That said, my little-bitty Sabre2 does the job perfectly. It's stylish, opens straight, and swoops great; no compromise at all in my opinion.

I owned the first Vengeance on this dropzone and while it opened straight for me, I would not consider it a viable "all the time" wingsuit main. If you can afford two rigs, then get you a "proper" wingsuit main (it can still be damn sporty, just reliable) and keep it sewn into your suit.

Just my .02

Chuckie

I fly my sabre 1 strictly for wingsuit and do camera with no problems. I have dialed in my packing technique so that I get more good openings than smackers. I keep a Stilleto in my other rig for all other skydiving. I have found that having two seperate canopies does not effect how well I fly either one. In fact I am getting about the same amount of swoop now out of my sabre as I am with my stilleto. I just need to dial in differently when using the stilleto. BTW, I am not a big swooper but find the sabre very fun to swoop. I definately want something that opens square no matter what with my wingsuit which is why I don't use my stilleto.
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

Hey monkey. What's your WL on that Sabre 97? Not that I'm going to try to match it at all. Just curious, as I'm sure you're over their suggested max of, I think, 1.6. Just wondering if you've had line twists yet and if it flew straight, even with the higher WL.

Click

Chuck and i weigh about the same and i have jumped his set up and had line twists on two occasions. One was about 2 twists and the other was about 8. Both times the canopy was square and fully inflated with no diving or winding up, totaly rock solid. The wing load on it at our weight is 1.75 I believe and once you unstow those breaks you know it too;) Fantastic canopy though, it does have lots of "all around" potential. if I trade my sabre 1 in for a sabre 2 I think it will be a bit bigger than a 97 though:D see it right HERE
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

So, I've ditched the Vengeance and just ordered a Sabre2 107. I almost went 97, but that might be a bit aggressive... especially if Monkey's loading it that much (I'd be about the same WL). This way, I don't have to maintain two rigs, and I'll have a bit to sell to aid in recouping the money I'm about to send off to Square1.

Click

Damn thanks for saying I'm ripped;) you got me by 7 lbs there. Retirement is treating you good my friend, it must be the :ph34r: fries LOL:D
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

Instead of the Vengence... look at the Samauri. I've only got 10 jumps on my WS now but my Jedei is proforming most excellent on the jumps once I figured out that getting stable helps a lot.

The Sam is a very nice canopy that I found opened so much better and predictible then the Vengence.

well while we are on the bigair kick don't forget the Lotus its supposed to be a little more divey than the Sabre2
I swear you must have footprints on the back of your helmet - chicagoskydiver
My God has a bigger dick than your god -George Carlin