leroydb

SKYRAY: deals with the devil

Want to know why the skyray isnt being sold to many people? Why, "You inquisitivly ask?" Well none other the skyray company made a deal with the German military not to share informations with "unauthorized personnel." The first version can go around 15km, a newer one around 100km from a normal skydiving altitude......
Leroy

..I knew I was an unwanted baby when I saw my bath toys were a toaster and a radio...

Wait a minute: 100000m horizontal from 4000m vertical? That's 25:1 :S. Am I reading that right? Where did this info come from?

Gus

25:1 is a glide ratio normal gliders (without the use of termals) harldy even get...the surface area on a skyray would be so huge, you'd just be lying on the back of a glider-plane (or strapped beneath one)

ORRRRRR they're talking about a powered version!!!!! Which would make a 15 km to 100 km increase more believable...!!!??
JC
FlyLikeBrick
I'm an Athlete?

Want to know why the skyray isnt being sold to many people? Why, "You inquisitivly ask?"

reply]

Because you guys, my friends, are getting better numbers with your wing suits, even a classic. At a fraction of the cost, a fraction of the danger , bulk , problems with aircraft exit. You, yes you, guys are kicking the skyrays ass in the air. Remember it is still experimental now.
And as an added bonus you guys are MUCH more photogenic on the ground with even your most guadiest of wingsuit colors than the red bull buzz lightyear imposter.

One, you have a military procurement system influencing an acquisition process. Two, a SkyRay possibly can accept a small turbine engine, extending range. A nylon wingsuit won't suffer turbine exhaust as well. Speculation on my part.

D. James Nahikian
CHICAGO

James in the case of tubine engine you need to go straight to the switch blade from the latest bond movie.;)

I thought the Skyray had about the same amount of freefall time, but just had a much greater horizontal speed and distance than the wingsuits?? I may be wrong, that's just the impression I was under ... can anyone confirm or deny this?

Trailer 11/12 was the best. Thanks for the memories ... you guys rocked!

I thought the Skyray had about the same amount of freefall time, but just had a much greater horizontal speed and distance than the wingsuits?? I may be wrong, that's just the impression I was under ... can anyone confirm or deny this?

I didn't personaly fly a direct comparison when it was here but hearing from the guys that did. it seems wing suits beat it in every aspect except for advertising space;) even the classics.

Well, I hesitate to join the fray since I'm not yet a real skydiver, nevermind skyflyer, but I was just in Germany to check out the Skyray. The assesment above is correct. It's been clocked at 186 mph for about 2 minutes.

They are negotiating with the German army, but I don't think it's gone much beyond that (they were a bit tight lipped about the whole thing). But those negotiations aren't holding up production--that's just a matter of funding and flying the thing enough times to call it safe.

please tell if you know when it will be for sale to the public. I would be willing to test it here in america... heck red bull already has one of their own.
Leroy

..I knew I was an unwanted baby when I saw my bath toys were a toaster and a radio...

please tell if you know when it will be for sale to the public. I would be willing to test it here in america... heck red bull already has one of their own.

That's a long way off . . . they wouldn't give me a date. Red Bull bought one of a handful of handmade protypes. If you've got tons of money, or maybe a sponser, Mr. Geissler could possibly make you one.

please, i just need him to tell me a price... i keep hearing 2-3k dollars. Well it looks like it works to me... Let me send him a check and he mail me one...
Leroy