Gato

PRCP Practice: MY Rhythm Method

Hello DZ.commers -

I just completed my 3rd SL jump, which was my first Practice Ripcord Pull (PRCP).

The climb-out, hang, and go sequence, as well as the pull itself went very smoothly, but my JM told me I was kicking my legs a bit, as if searching for something to stand on. Anyone else had this problem?

I think it's partially because I didn't practice my arch enough before the jump, and (This is probably it-) I allowed myself to rush to make a load after the PRCP class. Before I even had my first jump, I had promised myself that that is one mistake I WILL NOT MAKE!

I was amped-up after the class (We rehearsed mals and hard-pulls with me in a harness hung from the ceiling.) and I didn't give myself the chance to calm down before the actual dive. I may start calling myself The Sloth just to remind myself to calm down. Sometimes Gatos move too fast.

Having said all that, I since discovered a way to practice my sequence in a more practical and realistic way. First, I made a red 4" disc which I velcro'd to the ceiling (It's my house). Then I realized that the audible sequence is made up of 16 words, which I think of as 1/8 notes (Count 1 and 2 and 3 and 4 and) so the audible can be broken down into 2 measures in musical terms. Using a metronome at a slow tempo, I worked out a way to start my count as soon as the JM says "Look Up."

So I loop my dummy RC through my belt twice to simulate a little resistance, stand to the left of my disc, and rehearse the climb-out, etc. I make sure I'm already standing with my legs apart to facilitate the clean arch and run through the entire sequence to "Check." So far, I've been feeling a lot more confident and I'm practicing every day. I'm hoping this isn't a bad idea, and I'm interested in what the experienced jumpers think of this.

Now if I could just find a way to simulate the door opening . . . . . :S

Many Blues,

Gato
T.I.N.S.

Mr. Cat,

I knew you wouldn't stay off the air too long. It's nice to read your commentary of S/L training. Originally, all skydivers were trained this way. Without argueing pros and cons of training methods, I think that S/L retains a certain purity and lets a student learn the sport in a more well-rounded way.

Back in the day, an audible count was taught. Based on the counting of "one thousand, two thousand", etc. for counting seconds, it was:

"Arch Thousand"
"Look Thousand"
"Reach Thousand"
"Pull Thousand"

This had a good rhythm, and became a kind of mantra that students could learn and rely upon. The important thing is to find what works for you. It looks like you have found that with your musical background, this is a natural way for you to "move to the beat". This is a great start, as you will find more rhythms and tempos that flow in the background music of the sky.

Kevin

I wouldn't be too worried that you were kicking. While not desirable it is something that a lot of students do - you are not alone.

As to why people kick I'm not sure, possibly because they are searching for something to stand on or grab as they are falling - it appears to be an auto reflex thing that training and experience gets rid of (being calm and visualisation help to stop it too).

Blue skies

Paul

Hey Kevin -

Thanks for the reply - skybytch advised me to keep posting my experiences, so as long as you all are cool with it, I'll keep doing it. I was told that the look and reach steps are kind of simultaneous, so my modified audible goes like this (metronome set to 60 beats per minute right now):

1 --- "Dot"
and- "Go"
2 --- "Arch"
and- "Reach"
3 --- "Pull"
and- "One"
4 --- "Thousand"
and- "Two"
1 --- "Thousand"
and- "Three"
2 --- "Thousand"
and- "Four"
3 --- "Thousand"
and- "Five"
4 --- "Thousand"
and- "Check!"

Damn, it took awhile to type that and make it look right.:D

Hope everything is going well.

Gato
T.I.N.S.

Hello DZ.commers -

I just completed my 3rd SL jump, which was my first Practice Ripcord Pull (PRCP).

The climb-out, hang, and go sequence, as well as the pull itself went very smoothly, but my JM told me I was kicking my legs a bit, as if searching for something to stand on. Anyone else had this problem?

I think it's partially because I didn't practice my arch enough before the jump, and (This is probably it-) I allowed myself to rush to make a load after the PRCP class. Before I even had my first jump, I had promised myself that that is one mistake I WILL NOT MAKE!

I was amped-up after the class (We rehearsed mals and hard-pulls with me in a harness hung from the ceiling.) and I didn't give myself the chance to calm down before the actual dive. I may start calling myself The Sloth just to remind myself to calm down. Sometimes Gatos move too fast.

Having said all that, I since discovered a way to practice my sequence in a more practical and realistic way. First, I made a red 4" disc which I velcro'd to the ceiling (It's my house). Then I realized that the audible sequence is made up of 16 words, which I think of as 1/8 notes (Count 1 and 2 and 3 and 4 and) so the audible can be broken down into 2 measures in musical terms. Using a metronome at a slow tempo, I worked out a way to start my count as soon as the JM says "Look Up."

So I loop my dummy RC through my belt twice to simulate a little resistance, stand to the left of my disc, and rehearse the climb-out, etc. I make sure I'm already standing with my legs apart to facilitate the clean arch and run through the entire sequence to "Check." So far, I've been feeling a lot more confident and I'm practicing every day. I'm hoping this isn't a bad idea, and I'm interested in what the experienced jumpers think of this.

Now if I could just find a way to simulate the door opening . . . . . :S

Many Blues,

Gato

(Disclaimer: I am NOT a SL instructor, but was a SL student years ago...)

To an extent, whatever works...

Practice is good, "muscle memory" and rehersal will help you when you do your next jump. (Just make SURE you are learning it correctly.)

As to "climbing" or "swimming"... been there, done that!! ;) My first or second actual ripcord pull, the instructor told me later that it looked like I was trying to swim back up to the plane...

Best advice is to try to hold the arch and then do NOTHING more with your lower body while hanging...

But your instructor will have the best advice for you... Just know you aren't the first/only/last.

HAVE FUN!!

Jim
Always remember that some clouds are harder than others...

Gato,

I'm just a student as well so you know, the grain of salt thing...

I blew my 5 second delay the first two tries. I was rotating to the left due to bad body position & was also kind of rushing the count as well. I made one jump one weekend before the weather rolled in, and didn't have a chance to jump agaion for 2 weeks.

While I was down, I made it a point every night as I was laying in bed, trying to fall asleep to visualize the entire process in real time, from the time the pilot yelled 'DOOR' to the time the canopy was over my head.

By the time I went back to make attempt #3, I felt as if I had done the jump a hundred times and it all came very natural to me.

Another thing that my instructor had me do to help solve my problem was to find my balance point for my reach & pull. He had me lean against a wall like i was in an arch, almost in a push-up type position holding my upper body up with both arms. Then I would push off the wall and do my reach & pull, and come to rest against the wall again with my left arm holding my body up and my right on the practaice ripcord. This was to show me that, at first, I wasn't in a naturally balanced position and therefore unstable in the air. once I practaiced that to the point where my 'reach' was centered and balanced every time, I found it easier.

The visualization thing definately worked for me, as did finding my balance point. I'm still learning about this stuff and not trying to advise you, but I thought i'd share since it seems like theres not many out there still going thru the s/l method.
Good judgement comes from experience, and most of that comes from bad judgement.

Practice is good, "muscle memory" and rehearsal will help you when you do your next jump. (Just make SURE you are learning it correctly.)

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Ask a local static-line instructor to critique your practice to ensure that you are building the correct muscle memory.
For example, it may be beneficial to practice while laying on a large cushion/pillow/bean bag chair to eliminate feedback from your feet and leg muscles.
You see, most people depend upon feedback from their feet and leg muscles for balance.
A few people - with damaged inner ears - depend upon leg muscle feedback for all of their balance.
Similarly, some people depend solely upon sight for balance.

Back in the day, an audible count was taught.

yeah, but shy and self conscious students mumbling it during ground training didn't really help much.

You have to get them to shout it during ground training so it happens on the step.

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

. . it may be beneficial to practice while laying on a large cushion/pillow/bean bag chair to eliminate feedback from your feet and leg muscles.
You see, most people depend upon feedback from their feet and leg muscles for balance. ***

Hey, thanks riggerrob!

I had been wondering what to do about that aspect. Thankfully, I've been doing a lot of excercise focused on core training, and I've found it easier to "floor dive" when you have some muscle to push with.

Washboard abs photo coming soon . . . . ;)

Blueness,

Gato
T.I.N.S.

You have to get them to shout it during ground training so it happens on the step.

You always knew you had a good one when you could hear them as you stood on the ground and they were exiting at 2800'.

Yeah. They tell me I arched. They tell me I counted so loud they could hear me on the ground. But I have no memory of my first jump between being on the step, and looking up at that blue and yellow lo-po.

Gato -- think about why you're doing what you're doing, then keep practicing. Remembering why you're doing it will help your brain to make the connection when it's under pressure. If you don't understand any part of it, ask.

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

all I can remember of my first jump was looking up at the wing, the sound of the prop wash going by my ears, then yelling

ARCH THOUSAND TWO THOUSAND THREE THOUSAND FOUR THOUSAND FIVE THOUSAND, CHECK, CHECK, WOAAAAHHHHH

:D
Good judgement comes from experience, and most of that comes from bad judgement.

I have about 18 static line jumps out of a 182. I also had my instructor tell me on a couple of jumps that I kicked my legs or brought my knees up when I let go of the strut. That was probably my 4th and 5th jump. At some point one of the instuctors told me to point my feet down while hanging. After that I never had a problem with crazy legs.

Hey Yossarian, Gato and kkeenan,

I mentioned in my post in the Introductions forum how I have some issues with rushing things. I figured I'd do a search and see how others dealt with this.

You're right that timings seem rushed. It's annoying. My second PRCP I did alright. I had a good count and kept my eyes on the plane the whole time. My JM said he had the same problem.

When I practice, everything is fine, but everything changes when you let go of the wing strut, and there's no practice scenario that can simulate that.

I might give kkeenan's count a try next time.