Namowal

Video for AFF jumps- worth it?

At my DZ most of the coaches have laptops they bring with them.

They simply drag drop from the gopro to their laptop then from their laptop to my smartphone. Everyone has a smart phone today and unless it's an Iphone they all use the same micro usb connectors.

No need to edit anything, he just hits record when we are about to walk to the door and stop when he lands.

I guess I just have super awesome friendly coaches, actually I know I do. B|

The feather butts bounce off ya like raindrops hitting a battle-star when they come in too fast...kinda funny to watch. - airtwardo

The first time I saw inside video was when I was taking my AFFI course and a group of Brits came with students and instructors to knock out the AFF course. I liked the way they taught; so I bought a Contour for my helmet.

At my DZ, I'm the only AFFI who wears a camera. I think it helps to show students what we are talking about. I give them the files for free.

The advantage of inside video is that you always record what you are looking at. The disadvantage is that you only get half of the action. The disadvantage of outside video is that the camera might be too far away to capture the hand signals or not in the right quadrant to see the action.

That sucks that they make you pay for it. With GoPros and things that do not require an expendable material to record on there is no reason for that :(

A GoPro costs around 200 dollars. There is added risk to jumping a GoPro.

Why should an Instructor have to pay 200 dollars and not expect something in return?
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

Alot of people (at least at my DZ and at the one boogie i went to) have cameras on their heads already, GoPros especially. Ive not really thought of the AFF instructor work as a job really cause we only have clubs here in Estonia. but yes i agree that if you JOB is a AFF instructor then you should not be buying vid equipment that you wouldent have anyway just for that without getting something in return. Dragon made a good point, packing ticket sounds sufficient. Its when i see the posts that it costing another 20 or 25 USD ur making the camera price back in a few AFF courses. Idk maybe i just dont understand how things work in the industry part of skydiving.

Either way, video is worth it.

You guys were right- seeing myself in freefall is eye opening. A lot of "I did that? I didn't know I was doing that!" revelations.

Were u able to get an AFF or 2 jump in this weekend?

Yes, but it was "only" a repeat of level 3 (which I botched last week- you can see the cartoon I made about it here if you're curious.) This time around I did okay.:)
My blog with the skydiving duck cartoons.

Glad you were able to pass AFF 3.

It took me 10 tries to pass AFF 3. I had problems with staying stable.

Ten tries? That's persistence. And I'm not being sarcastic. :)
If it weren't for some tunnel training, I would have probably had to repeat it many times myself. I was a train wreck in my early tunnel minutes. I remember thinking You're all over the place! Flopping around like a fish! And you want to jump out of a plane?!
My blog with the skydiving duck cartoons.

Glad you were able to pass AFF 3.

It took me 10 tries to pass AFF 3. I had problems with staying stable.

Ten tries? That's persistence. And I'm not being sarcastic. :)
If it weren't for some tunnel training, I would have probably had to repeat it many times myself. I was a train wreck in my early tunnel minutes. I remember thinking You're all over the place! Flopping around like a fish! And you want to jump out of a plane?!

AFF was pretty tough for me. It took me 24 jumps to get off AFF, but it was worth it. I do love being in the sky.

I hope your AFF goes by smoothly and that you will have your license soon.

As a new jumper myself (just finished AFF a couple of months ago), I can tell you that watching video of my jumps helped me A TON and I'll give you 2 specific examples.

On my first AFF jumps, I could not really maintain a solid heading - I always picked up a spin and couldn't figure out why. When I watched the video of my AFF 5 jump, I noticed my arms seemed stretched too far out in front of me. On my next jump, I changed my arm position - and that completely fixed my spin. That was a major turning point for me... it was the correction that took skydiving from cool-but-frustrating to fun.

I also noticed that on two of my AFF videos, I was beginning to get unstable as I waved off and pulled - I was dipping a leg when I'd reach for my handle. The video showed it clearly but I wasn't aware I was doing it. I think about maintaining good body position much more when I'm ready to deploy now.