park1231

I just bought this rig. can a cypress be set up on it?

I don't know wether it will accept a cypres or not. It's 20 years old so I bet it's not "CYPRES Ready" but a rigger might be able to do something about that.

My question is, what size is the cruiselite main? I don't see it on the auction...

Oh, and I would definately consult a rigger before even thinking about freefly. And if it is/can be made freefly friendly...don't freefly with that main. I doubt it would survive a highspeed opening.

Cypres was introduced in 1991, 7 years after the rig was made. It will definitely not have a pocket for the computer or holes for cable routing.

You should DEFINITELY consult your rigger before even JUMPING this rig, i would definitely not think of freeflying with that. To be honest, i personally wouldn't want to jump it.B|

Nylon has a certain decay over time, even if stored properly from what i HEARD.
Anybody who knows more about that and can back it up/down? Isn't that the reasoning for a max lifespan of 15 years on equipment in Germany?:S
The mind is like a parachute - it only works once it's open.
From the edge you just see more.
... Not every Swooper hooks & not every Hooker swoops ...

My question is, what size is the cruiselite main?

The Cruiselite was a 220 Sq Ft 7-cell F-11 canopy made by Para Flite. There was a Cruiselite XL as well, which was 245 Sq Ft. There may have been a smaller "Beta" version around 200 Sq Ft as well, but I'm not completely sure.
Arrive Safely

John

That's a question you should have found the answer to before you bought the rig. :P

The Cruiselite was a 220 Sq Ft 7-cell F-11 canopy made by Para Flite. There was a Cruiselite XL as well, which was 245 Sq Ft. There may have been a smaller "Beta" version around 200 Sq Ft as well, but I'm not completely sure.

The smaller canopy I believe was the CruiseAir, it was 200 sq. ft.
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

Yes a cypres can be retrofitted by a master rigger approved by airtec. But as stated above you've bought a 20 year old rig. The main was nicknamed a "Cruisefright" because of it's speed at the time. If your under about a 170lbs (maybe 180 or 190 with experience) your probably be alright. Do NOT load this 1:1 with low experience.

I'm more concerned about the reserve. The X-210 was one of the first "high performance" F-111 canopies. It didn't last very long before becoming out dated. The X 210 reserve is just a TSO C23B version. I would consider this a second generation reserve, with safety flyer's and original 5 cell Swift's as 1, PD, Raven, Glide Path as 3, and maybe some of the new ones as 4th generation. This reserve may have had kevlar lines. If it does replace it. If it doesn't I'd still consider not jumping it.

Also be aware that many riggers have a 20 year old limit on the gear they will work on. They may make an exception for the harness but I personally wouldn't make an exception for the reserve. Mainly based on design but also age.

BTW the free bag may need to be retrofit with a safety stow. I don't remember when RWS started using them. Ask your rigger.

Terry
I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

X-210R .... the free bag may need to be retrofit with a safety stow

IIRC, the X-210R is diaper-deployed, no freebag.

Mark

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Some X210R reserves are diaper deployed, while others are freebag deployed.
It is a simple matter to stuff a diapered canopy (X210R, Hobbit, Wizard, etc) into a freebag.

I am going to publicly disagree with councilman on the issue of Kevlar lines.
As for the Kevlar lines ... no big deal. The disadvantage with Kevlar lines is that they start to snap at random after 40 or so jumps. No a big deal on a reserve. Kevlar lines are still used on new-production Strong tandem reserves. Mind you, we retire Strong tandem reserves after they have 20 "rides."
Back when F-111 mains were still in fashion, we used to take Kevlar-lined Strong tandem reserves - with 20 deployments - cut off the Kevlar lines, re-line them with Dacron and make another 600 jumps on them.

Gear does not wear out while sitting in closets, but sometimes it gets out-moded. For example, the reserve pilotchutes in Vector 1 containers suffered from weak springs.
Fortunately the Vector 2 reserve pilotchute is a simple drop-in fix.
I have done Cypres-retrofits on dozens of Vector 1 containers.
While it is in the loft, ask your Master Rigger to inspect the stitching at the top of the reserve container and the hip joints. RWS issued service bulletins covering both those areas on tandem Vectors, so it is a good habit to inspect them on all Vectors.

Forgot that some had diapers. But the vector used free bag and that's what I'd recommend. I know what your saying about the kevlar lines. But Kevlar of that era snagged awfully easy. We still have a hobbit in service with them around here. I've been trying to get the guy to upgrade. Rob's right about in a reserve the kevlar wasn't such a big deal but I still wouldn't necessarily want to wear an X-210R regardless of the lines. I haven't seen a strong reserve in a while. Is it the same real soft kevlar from the early 1980's?

Terry
I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

Yes

In a nut shell it involves, moving the Cutaway housings to the other side, adding velcro pile to the right side if it doesn't exist. Remove the cutaway cable from the reserve handle. and install a cutaway handle.
My grammar sometimes resembles that of magnetic refrigerator poetry... Ghetto

I checked out the pictures on E-bay of the rig you just bought.

It looks pretty good. I asked a rigger about the 20 year gear limit.

The rigger said that it's total B.S.! There is no preset lifetime of any skydiving gear. Some riggers may have a suggested 20 year limit but in the end, it is up to them to decide weather or not your rig is
"airworthy".

Obvously most people would suggest getting
BOC pouch instead of the ROL,
seperate reserve handle(get rid of the S.O.S. system)

Hell! if you replaced the velcro w/ tuck tabs, you could probably do Freeflying with it! Don't quote me on this!! but why not??

scott

my intial reaction to your situation was not just the practicality of these mods, but moreover the price o them.. they can add up quickly.. but, considering the price you paid for the rig, and the apparant condition of things from the pics, you got a decent deal even after the cost of the mods.

I have a question for the riggers out there.. I had a Vector 1 at 1 point that I inquired about making cypres ready.. RWS had concerns about the reserve freebag.. I told them I had a vector 2 freebag, and they said it could be converted.. how does this affect a cypres mod ?

blue ones !

Bryan

Hi,

A Vector 1 can be retrofitted with a CYPRES set - up by a qualified rigger.
A Vector 2 pilotcute is mandatory when a CYPRES is installed in any Vector container. The old style Vector 1 pilotchute (small cap, mesh, low spring force) must not be used.

...By the way - looks a little bit like an early rig from Norman Kent. (Vector, the colours, SOS...)

Blue Skies,

Kai Koerner
Airtec GmbH

...By the way - looks a little bit like an early rig from Norman Kent. (Vector, the colours, SOS...)

Oooh....a collector's item! ;)

I have a good buddy of mine who bought a used blue and red rig when he started skydiving years ago. Later he found out that -this- rig used to belong to the skydiving team 'The AirBears'! He jumps it still, even if it isn't the latest and greatest. He owns a piece of history... :)
ltdiver

Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon

if the velcro is in good condition it can be jumped as a freefly, one of the guys on my DZ jumps one and he mostly does Freefly, he does maintain his rig very well though.

My question is since it will take quite a bit of work to convert it over, would you not have been better off, getting a later model. The mods will probally start to add up to quite abit?
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

There may have been a smaller "Beta" version around 200 Sq Ft as well, but I'm not completely sure.

Cruiselite Beta was 185 Sq. Ft. Great little canopy, put several hundred jumps on mine.
--
Murray

"No tyranny is so irksome as petty tyranny: the officious demands of policemen, government clerks, and electromechanical gadgets." - Edward Abbey

Ive been jumping this the last couple weeks. I got it on ebay for ~$430 and had the rigger inspect main, container and repack reserve, add BOC. Also purchased new cutaway pillow and reserve ripcord and a newer style vector pilot chute for the reserve. Total came to $340
so I basically got a complete rig for a little under $800. The canopies and rig are in great shape for being so old and Im having an awsome time jumping it. The velcro is in good condition but Im wary of freeflying it until I can at least get a tuck
tab for the closing pin flap. The only gripe I have is that I was told by the rigger that there is no room in the reserve portion of the container to fit the cypress module. But other than that Im totally happy with it!

"The only gripe I have is that I was told by the rigger that there is no room in the reserve portion of the container to fit the cypress module. But other than that Im totally happy with it! "

... to get back to the original intention of the thread - looks like you got one of the really narrow versions ( f.e. V3 ). Here, indeed the partition wall does not leave enough space to sew the CYPRES processing unit pouch in as it is. The "upper" binding tape of the pouch is above the edge of the reserve container when the pocket is hold in place. There is a way how to sew the pouch in these extreme narrow rigs. It helped in the past on some narrow Sweethogs and Vectors: The lower binding tape of the pouch has to be sewn "from the other side", then fold the pouch back inplace and sew the other sides.
This way you only have approx. 5,5cm from the upper to the lower seam - instead of 8cm. This might help at your rig.

The Cypres1 still fits in the pouch, the Cypres 2 fits perfect ;)

Enclosed two pictures, C1 and C2 in the pouch.

Blue skies,

Kai Koerner
Airtec GmbH