krkeenan

CRW with CYPRES - Yes or No ??

First thing that pop's into my mind, if safety is your concern that money is much better spent on a tertiary reserve.

The tertiary reserve is for CReW dogs what the AAD is for freefallers. Keep in mind that the AAD is only relevant during your clear and pull. The only thing I can think off that could go wrong is when you hit your head while you exit.

I think the modern devices are reliable enough that they don't activate prematurely, although there have been concerns about using radio's. Maybe in an extreme downplane at low altitude, but I don't consider that `your everyday CReW'.

I had one and used it because it was there anyway. It just expired and I'm not getting a new one.

--
Everything you know is wrong. But some of it is a useful first approximation.

Yes I jump with a (modern) AAD. Reason: why not?

I have jumped without, esp when planning a downplane. But for all other crw jumps having one isn't going to hinder me in any way and can only help me if I'm too low with too much speed for some reason or another.

I do not buy the "if we're in a wrap we'll handle it ourselves" line bacause if you're that low with that much speed, you fucked up majorly and do not have enough time to fix things yourself so more fabric = better.

ciel bleu,
Saskia

I'm with Remko. The risk of being rendered incapacitated prior to deployment is not great enough for me, personally, to use an AAD. Theoretically, there is a risk of a canopy collision that renders the jumper unconscious & the canopy unlandable, but, again, that risk isn't great enough for me, personally, to use one. In a canopy collision scenario there's a greater risk of a jumper being injured with no canopy damage, as well as major canopy damage with no harm to the jumper. In fact, I've been on the receiving end of both scenarios.

Having said that, if someone wants to use an AAD in a CRW environment, that's their perogative; however, I've also been on the receiving end of an AAD misfire; an FXC on student gear, so it can happen.

Not at all, but modern AADs have also been known to misfire. AADs were developed to get a canopy out if the jumper is unable to do so. My personal preference is that the risk of being unable to deploy a canopy in a CRW environment is not great enough to warrant the use of an AAD. Just my personal preference.

I agree. A Cypres is specifically designed not to fire if you have any parachute out at all. So the odd of it ever helping you in a low wrap are slim to none. But they have been known to misfire from time to time.
I take newbies on CRW jumps regularly where they have turned-on AADs and that's fine because the risk is low. But to me $1300 is not worth the .0000000000000000001% chance that it'll save me versus the .0000000000000000001% chance it'll hurt me..

I don't have a Cypres in my CRW rig, because there's little likelyhood of me needing one on a CRW jump. Right now, I can't justify the expense.

I wouldn't mind getting one, though - for when I occaisionally use my CRW rig for other stuff. Sometimes I'll use two rigs during 4way meets.

If I had one, I think I would probably turn it on for CRW jumps. The odds of a modern AAD misfiring are low enough that I do think they're of greater value than risk.

_Am
__

You put the fun in "funnel" - craichead.

The tertiary reserve is for CReW dogs what the AAD is for freefallers. Keep in mind that the AAD is only relevant during your clear and pull. The only thing I can think off that could go wrong is when you hit your head while you exit.

I do not agree with this: what if you are in an emergency situation, wrap, entanglement, whatever, and you manage to release your main but are not able to pull your reserve??? I know this won't be a daily issue, but for me, I am jumping with an ADD.

I consider my life worth every penny of it..........
Caren