kleggo

Wendy F on Skydive Radio

Listening to myself talk I cringe and figure I should stick to writing. I'm much more articulate that way! I was at least thankful that they called me in at the last minute so that none of the Dog's had a chance to write in with questions - I figure that coulda been ugly :-)

W

Listening to myself talk I cringe and figure I should stick to writing. I'm much more articulate that way! I was at least thankful that they called me in at the last minute so that none of the Dog's had a chance to write in with questions - I figure that coulda been ugly :-)

W

Knowing how these crwdogs can be, be VERY VERY thankful for the last minute notice! :D:D:D
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

Why Shocked????

Most people use a pull out or throw out on their mains all the time. Why is it acceptable on the main and not the reserve?

Don't be shocked, try to understand the logic first, if you don't, ask some questions.

The pullout reserve is actually a great concept.

So much so, that I used that type of gear on many jumps.

Systems that use a pullout reserve include the Australia built Woomera container system, and the BASE specific Sorceror (Vertigo).

click here to see picture
Stay Safe - Have Fun - Good Luck

The above could be crap, thought provoking, useful, or . . But not personal. You decide.

I found hearing about a pull out reserve interesting. As a rigger I was intrigued to know how the container is closed and how the system works. As a jumper I found that very wierd because until now they only thing I had heard of was ripcord deployed.

Johnny are you with me?

Usually when there is something different like that it is a shock because you figure if it worked so well then why don't I see that more often. Then you think that guy must be jumping some really old gear that is crap or they are crazy.

I would like to see the Woomera owners manual. If you were jumping this in the states it must have a U.S. TSO

Gunnery Sergeant of Marines
"I would like it if I were challenged mentally at my job and not feel like I'm mentally challenged." - Co-worker

Usually when there is something different like that it is a shock because you figure if it worked so well then why don't I see that more often.

I give you Beta versus VHS.

Then PAL versus NTSC.

Why didn't most people adopt PAL Beta.

Marketing!!!!! $$$$$$$

r.e. the woomera or pull out reserves, it is NOT a rig for inexperienced people. Hence the market size is limited quite a bit. It's old design is NOT freefly friendly and due to the limited market it has not been modified/updated (there is a spring loaded ripcord woomera but the old pull out design remains). There you have it, MARKET, money. That is why you don't see many!!!

The above could be crap, thought provoking, useful, or . . But not personal. You decide.

Usually when there is something different like that it is a shock because you figure if it worked so well then why don't I see that more often.

I give you Beta versus VHS.

Then PAL versus NTSC.

Why didn't most people adopt PAL Beta.

Marketing!!!!! $$$$$$$

r.e. the woomera or pull out reserves, it is NOT a rig for inexperienced people. Hence the market size is limited quite a bit. It's old design is NOT freefly friendly and due to the limited market it has not been modified/updated (there is a spring loaded ripcord woomera but the old pull out design remains). There you have it, MARKET, money. That is why you don't see many!!!

I wasn't saying that it was any better or worse than any other system. I was trying to point out that usually the attitude you get is such because the system isn't such a regular thing.

"I would like it if I were challenged mentally at my job and not feel like I'm mentally challenged." - Co-worker

The pull out pilot chute on a reserve is not anything to be shocked about. It is different, but so were pull out pilot chutes on main canopies when they were developed. The Handbury system and that on the Wonderhog were cosidered revolutionary. Interestingly, they were developed, among other reasons, to circumvent pilot chute hesitations which would delay the otherwise sequential deployment of the main canopy. It seemed to the manufacturer (Barry Lewis of Roochutes Australia who used to work for Jump Shack South an obvious development of container systems to lessen the chance of pilot chute hesitations that may be associated with reserve deployments. The manufacturer of the Australian system, the Woomera (so called becuase the action required to launch the hand held reserve pilot chute was similar to that associated with a woomera which is an Australian Aboriginal spear throwing device) designed the system in the mid eighties and it was very popular in Australia up until the advent of automatic activation devices on the reserve system.

Briefly, the reserve pilot chute is packed silmilarly to a main on a BOC system and housed along the left shoulder region. One pulls on the handle (pud shaped) which opens the reserve container over the left shoulder (velco closing) and at the same time pulls the curved reserve pin - this operates in much the same way as a pull out system for the main container. One then places (throws) the pilot cute in the slipstream as one does with the main pilot chute.

Advantges: less chance of pilot chute hesitation, arguable quicker deployment, less chance of reserve coming out around the body in a spin as you determine where your pilot chute goes, less pack weight, easier closing (you only need a pull up cord) and a few others. Significantly, if one is wrapped, one can throw the pilot chute out a hole and on some occasions people have fed the bridle and bag out the hole too.

Disadvantages: there is no spring so it can't be used with any AAD, it comes out close to any cameras you might have on, it takes a longer time to peel off the handle in order to throw (as opposed to yanking on the silver handle) so any time made up on reserve deployment may be more apparent than real.

Early Openers the Aussie 8 way CRW team (World Champs 1990) used them for hundreds of jumps and they performed admirably. Interestingly, so far as I am aware, the CRW Woomeras were the first to utilise the reserve flap that tucks away so as to lessen snag points on a rig after we suggested this to the manufacturer.

As far as I know, the rig is no longer built and is perhaps consigned to parachuting history except by a handful of us Aussies who occasionally use it. I have a couple at home that I have under the house so I can practise some CRW moves on rainy days.

I would be happy to let people know more if theyt were interested.

Cheers....
Sarge

an interesting read Here

It is a very interesting read. I'm familiar with the Vectors and the Skyhook. I rig and I use the system for free fall.

I'll also Quote myself here-
I wasn't saying that it was any better or worse than any other system. I was trying to point out that usually the attitude you get is such (shock) because the system isn't such a regular thing.

It seems that this thread is moving to ward the direction of gear and rigging. Maybe we should continue dicussion in that forum?

Here's a picture of a Woomera - couldn't make the attachment small enough to put here:

http://crwdog.servebeer.com/AussieCover.jpg

The picture is a little dark, but you can see yellow cutaway handle on the left (somewhat obscured by his jacket) and the blue thing just below the 3-ring on his left is his pullout handle.

w

Well it seems my ever trusty Woomera has started something on here!
It works great, it is a very compfy rig to wear whilst doing crw. Iam not sure but if it is TSO'd in the USA or any whereout side Australia. BUT i think that as long as it is TSO' in the country that you are a member of you can pretty much jump it any where. (IMAY BE WRONG THOUGH) As long as a foreign gear waver is in place. Ive used mine at many places over the world since 96 and had no problems at any location.Its nearly worth using it just for novalty value!
In australia you must have a E licence(500 jumps) to use this rig or the dzso approval to use it with less jumps. I first used mine with 150 jumps and it is not a big deal. Sure to get a comment or two now!!
Deal with it

I wasn't saying that it was any better or worse than any other system. I was trying to point out that usually the attitude you get is such because the system isn't such a regular thing.

Fair enough. BTW - none of the defensive sounding Aussies are being defensive (3 on this topic), we are just explaining what the system is, what benefits it has, and the fact that you should always keep an open mind to other possibilities.

Remember that it would be a piece of shit in terminal freefall situations unless modified accordingly. There has been a lot of high speed rig technology development since this rig was built.

- - - - - - -

Explanation of the attached pictures:

Firstly, my Woomera is a piece of crap that is in poor condition and has not had any real mods done to it. In fact, it was stolen from my house, I found it a year later at a charity retail store. The reserve flap has oil stains and some of the gear was worn/damaged. But I still love her!!!! :P

Deployment Handle - it is secured to the left lift web (velcro on this rig). Normally grabbed with the left hand, peeled off, pulled up, and then the pilot chute is released. The bridle runs under the reserve riser covers, above the risers and above the pilot chute to the pin. It looks on the photo like the large ring interferes with the bridle, this rig has been chucked together (i.e. not packed properly), it is actually fine when done properly.

Back View - the bridle runs underneath the right side of the riser cover as you see it in the photo. From here it runs to a curved pin which locks a simple closing loop. It then runs back to the pilot chute. Hence the sequence again is: peel, pull out, pop pin and open container, extract pilot chute, place in clear air to your left/front side.

ReserveDeploymentContents - shows in a messy way, what appears underneath. Note that the remainder of the pilot chute is packed underneath the left riser cover and the top left flap (if you look at the BackView photo).