bodypilot90

crw and spotting

also, in high winds its extremely important to make sure you face into the wind as much as possible during the jump (it's very easy to end up flying downwind if you're not paying close attention). the pilot should be keeping one eye on the ground and the other eye on the other jumpers.

Spot going downwind in high winds like 60knots for example --way out, so that you can see the DZ miles ahead during your dive. If the pilot is unwilling and puts you out going upwind - maintain a correct heading. Any deviation will have an increased adverse effect.

Allways know where you're at in high winds - hence the advice to go downwind so you can see.

we like to keep the airplanes as close to the DZ as possible to save fuel

Interesting theory, but it's nonsense. Airplanes (like canopies) generate the most useful lift when in unbanked flight, so flying a tight climbing pattern around the airport takes longer (and uses more fuel) than flying a straight 15 mile leg outbound, then a straight 15 mile leg back inbound.

The fewer turns the airplane makes while climbing to exit altitude, the more efficiently it can climb and the faster it will make it to the top: therefore, the less fuel it will use. That means the MOST efficient pattern is the one that incidently takes you furthest from the airport.

First Class Citizen Twice Over

GPS can do it more accurately on the way up than the forecasts you get quite often.

A lot of jumpers don't realize that those are a forcast, they may not be what the winds are actually doing.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

I have to agree that straight and level climbing flight is more efficient. if your pilots are telling you this, then question them. Maybe they feel more comfortable flying in an area where they can see familiar landmarks so they won't get lost :D.

This could be the case too...I know we keep the planes within eyeshot of the airport a lot of the time so that the pilot could dead stick it back if they had to.

I guess this variable would really depend on the comfort level of the pilots with the airworthiness of the airplanes :)
b