councilman24

Riser stuff

I need to set up some risers for some rigging customers and myself for CRW. I need to know where to get the "pink stuff" that's used to wrap (don't say wrap to a CReW dog!) the risers for grip. Also, does any one sell spring open toggles? Some have cutaway cable, some other systems. I can make them but I'd rather not hassle with it, to busy right now.
Thanks,
Terry
D-8631

Wrap some non-adhesive bandage around you risers first to stop the vet wrap weakening the webbing.

That's the first I've heard of Vet Wrap weakening webbing. I just added some wrap to the rear risers of my freefall rig a few weeks ago, with nothing between the webbing and the wrap... is this really a problem?

Chris

Any glue type material is destructive to cloth, just to various degrees. If is safe to be applied directly to race horses skin i can't imagine it would suddenly weaken the risers. Over time as it soaks in maybe... but by that point you'll need new risers. (You doreplace minis every 500 and the regulars every 750-1000 right?)
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

....I've just gotten my new Tri Hybrid. I want to get it modified for CReW....blocks and retractable PC. Now this 'Vet Wrap' thing. Will any rigger be able to retrofit it? Frankly, risering has worn my arms and shoulders a wee bit. I think this would definitely help.
HISPA #37
Do CReW!!! 'Be CRew'd, Blue'd 'n' Lewd!!'

>I've just gotten my new Tri Hybrid. I want to get it modified for
>CReW....blocks and retractable PC.

I don't really know about the Triathlon(never seen one), but retrofitting a retractable PC isn't going to be practical unless the canopy was already fitted with the necessary bits when it was made.

At least to me it seems like a lot of work.

Erno

I want to get it modified for CReW....blocks and retractable PC.

I'd check with your rigger and/or manufacturer regarding a retractable PC. I jump a Spectre which currently, cannot be modified to a retractable PC. PD has been testing and has not been too successful and have scrubbed the project; at least for now. I heard it was ugly.

>I've just gotten my new Tri Hybrid. I want to get it modified for
>CReW....blocks and retractable PC.

I don't really know about the Triathlon(never seen one), but retrofitting a retractable PC isn't going to be practical unless the canopy was already fitted with the necessary bits when it was made.
Erno

He mentioned it is a hybrid Triathalon. These come from the factory set up to be able to use a retractible pc.
W

Couldn't you use a setup like some of the competition swoopers are using where their D-bag and PC are attatched to one of their D lines via something like a RSL clip, so that once you deploy, the bag and PC slide down your lines, you can detatch it and put it in your t-shirt.

The actual construction and how it works is probably different then discribed since I've only seen it in person once, but I know there are more then a few people that use this setup regularly for swooping.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

On a Crw jump I don't want to have to waste time stowing a PC when I could be heading after the base for a pin or heading towards a formation. Also if the system fails to slide down, you are screwed for being able to do most intense stuff.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

Couldn't you use a setup like some of the competition swoopers are using where their D-bag and PC are attatched to one of their D lines via something like a RSL clip, so that once you deploy, the bag and PC slide down your lines, you can detatch it and put it in your t-shirt..

Conceivably you could, but for CRW teams that would take too long.
Their times start the second the first person leaves the aircraft. To me, for a general canopy (non-swoop-competition) it just seems like overkill. Way too much work for too little gain.

W

I wasn't talking about CReW teams, it was more for the weekend warrior types who maybe can't afford to buy a specific canopy for CReW.

You could, but until all that stuff is worked out well, I think you're probably more likely to have a mal from that (see a post in another forum) than have a wrap from entangled pilot chutes.... I wouldn't jump it unless I was needing to win thousands in a swoop competition. Someone else can do the test jumping on that stuff.

W

With microlines you really should'nt plane down the lines since it makes it easy to cut your leg off.

Yeah, I know, especially with High-Perf CReW. Although I've seen some really good CReW done on lightly loaded Spectres and such with microlines, everyone was wearing jeans and long sleeves, though, to try to protect themselves.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

Sounds like you're sorted. Be careful with the retractable rings as it is easy to find the bridle line wrongly routed and also to get bits of canopy caught in them when you are putting it into the bag (assuming you are using one). I use a clothes peg on the outside of the bag to hold the bridle line tight and the rings together and then take it off after stowing the rigging lines.

......I use a clothes peg on the outside of the bag to hold the bridle line tight and the rings together and then take it off after stowing the rigging lines.
..Now that is a good I.D ah! I generally use a pen to kind of move the fabric inside so's the rings don't 'burn' the topskin.
HISPA #37
Do CReW!!! 'Be CRew'd, Blue'd 'n' Lewd!!'