partyboy

Is the Atmospheric Dolphin thing still around?

Hey Partboy,

You can still do the tests in the US, I did mine a while ago with Mike Swanson. Just ask around in some of the more senior Freefly circles and you'll find a registered coach that is willing to conduct the test for you.

You can also contact Sven Zimmermann ( USA/GER) or Gian Carlo Trimarchi whos working at skydive Venezuela. both these guys travel quite alot ( USA and EUR) and they are both active First School instructors.

I certainly applaud anyone who wishes to get their AD license. To get one requires a good degree of skill and lets you know where you are in your progression. a very usefull tool if used correctly.

The AD tests still remain the only real non biased skydiving tests. Do it!;)

"the sword of truth"

I was just wondering about this test. I know Olav and his little crew are in Italy somewhere, but what about us FF guys in the US that want to try our skills with the SpaceBall. I hope this makes any sense..?

SvenZ just left Eloy, he's been around for a while and I was not organized enough to get his ass and mine in the same otters and pay the few bucks to pass the test.. I flaked, but I know Paul from HMS Arizona passed it. oh well Sven will be back, he always comes back..

:|

You can come see me in Zhills. Olav said i was clear (again) for testing. PM me for details.

Blue Skies,
Colon Berry
AD A#23 B#5
www.ecfreefly.com

Thanks CB,
If I do swing by Zhills before Sven or another Atmospheric tester cruises over to Eloy, I will look you up. Or... do you ever come over this part of the world?

what does the ad1-3 test consist of? is there any information available on the test? i would like to get mine started to add to my ratings and accomplishments.

it's on Olav Zipser's webpage, http://www.1olav.com but the basic summation of the AD-A is:

instructor throws ball from plane. student grabs ball, transfers to other hand, releases. student does 360 rotation on any axis, catches ball, transfers, releases. student does 360 rotation on another axis, catches ball, transfers. winner winner if complete by 6 k.

the B involves a total of 6 rotations (one in each direction on each axis), and the C and D require 2 spaceballs.

I've been screwed then:o. On a jump with Olav and Sven few years ago I had to do 3 an was only able to complete 2. So I failed [:/].

Same few years ago in Eloy. TJ wanted me to do 3..., with friggin' vladiball, that was dancing around meters to each side:D.

I should have checked Olav's site, I guess..

Got me wondering. I've always assumed that this had to be done in a head down position. The only indication I can find of this being the case is:

The testee dives after (not before) the space ball leaves the hand of the instructor and retrieves it.

Of course doing it in a head up position is not precisely easy either. I wonder what the consensus is on HD/HU. Given Zipsers "ff is all positions" philosophy, it may be quite OK to do it in HU.

As far as I understand it is perfectly acceptable to do the test in any position or orientation.

I think banging on a ton of lead and doing it on your front might be taking the p**s a bit though.:)
Head down is by far the best bet as it alows you to move fast if required but also have precise control in a pretty natural position.

I wonder if anyone has passed the A head up?

I seem to recall that at least one person has done it headup, but I can't remember who right now. But I would think that would be quite hard, although that's probably at least in part due to my relative weakness on my feet as compared to my head (and I'm still not at AD level on my head).

Well, according to Olav it is two rotations for the AD-A test, one around each axis. You can freely choose which direction each time and which order for the rotations.

And regarding doing the test head up: I am pretty sure that at least Omar A. would do this effortless and smiling, as always B|. That is not to say there are not other people around who are able to do it head up.

edited to correct number of rotations (only two and not three)

--
Eduard

it is three rotations for the AD-A test, one around each axis

Negative. Not unless it has changed, and not unless Olav's own website is wrong...

http://www.fij.cc/olaf/License.asp?AD=A

Two rotations on any of the three axis of your choice (but different for each rotation).

I do remember hearing about someone who did the test upright. Much much more difficult to both fly with your arms and manipulate the ball with your hands than to fly with your legs and have your hands free.

Canuck

I would guess it's ok to do it head up...it would be twice as hard, why not?

I would imagine if you looked to the list of B license holders, you could find quite a few that could get the A head up. I'd bet money that my freefly coach John Chisholm could pass the A head up no sweat...

You want to really narrow that list down, how many people could pass the B test head up?
Get in - Get off - Get away....repeat as neccessary