AndyMan

Clearing your airspace

I could have used multiple answers on that one. If I'm headdown I always face the direction of the track, leaving me on my back and roll half way or closer to pull. Sit flying I don't really have any set method but I try really hard to always know where everyone is from my dive before pulling. If I don't know where someone is for whatever reason I'll continue to look for them and I'll hum it a little low.

If you don't know where everyone from your group is at break off then there is a good possibility that there were to many people without enough skill where on that dive.

Joe.

"Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so."

Each circumstance deserves its own set of rules. Not every break off is going to be the same. Like a 3 way with close friends that I have jumped with all the time, that are there the whole jump, you can backtrack off while giving each one their own respective finger jesture and be on your merry way. Then there is the jump that has many differing skill levels, like hybrids. Usually the lower jump #'s are belly in the base and if the exit goes to shit, watch out......people are everywhere. At breakoff, you could have peeps 1000' above or below. Your head better be a damn fast swivel and multi-positional tracking must ensue with the afterburners in high gear.

Every jump is different. Knowing where people are all of the time is the trick. Seems impossible sometimes, but it is a must for your and their safety.

If you cannot backtrack quite yet, then limit your group to small #'s that are easier to keep track of. Learn to backtrack with 2 ways, and make sure the other guy is good enough to avoid ya! Not meant for you Andyman, just the masses!;)

I always back track away from whatever I'm doing (If upright, roll back to backfly then back track away, if head down then turn 180 and backtrack away) and then I barrel roll.

Wrong Way
D #27371 Mal Manera Rodriguez Cajun Chicken Ø Hellfish #451
The wiser wolf prevails.

The big picture...Good idea to assess any situation the way you see it; there is rarely an exact answer.

If you're with a crowd of people with outside video...better to do a 180 and track away on your back. Then do a bunch of rolls and look around.

If it's a two way, what does it matter as long as you can see the other guy? Unless you think someone exited after you but didn't wait enough because they appeared anxious on the plane.

Keep your eyes peeled. As free as it feels to fly, you are NEVER alone. There are planes, clouds, wingsuits, atmonauti's, flatflyers above and below, and above (or below) all, a planet - which happens to be on a direct course and aimed directly at you. ;)

I usually incorporate a back track part in my track, not just a roll, like taht I see what's under, on the sides, and I have time to realise if there's something above (not the fraction of second in motion of the roll)
I also usually pull in a full track. No need to stop to pull... Why waste a couple of meters... Thanks Icarus Canopies.:)
scissors beat paper, paper beat rock, rock beat wingsuit - KarlM

How do you clear your airspace at deployment time?

A recent incident has stirred some controversy.

What do you do at the end of the skydive to avoid a deployment colision?

_Am

For freeflying, I try to backtrack for just a few seconds to get a better look above, then I roll over and belly track the rest of the way with my head on a swivel till pull time.
Why yes, my license number is a palindrome. Thank you for noticing.

This brings up an interesting issue I discussed with a friend recently. For belly jumps when you are tracking away the low man/woman has the right of way. You have to maneuver your track so that when the people below you open you are not over top of them. In bigway belly jumps they sometimes use tracking leaders so it’s pretty clear where you should be during break off but still the low man wins. It’s the same with airplanes or canopies. Now when it comes to freefly everyone seems to be tracking away on their back. In that scenario the high man has the right of way. When you have a mixed level of skill this could cause some problems. I think it’s definitely a good idea to discuss break off on the ground. Personally when I’m freeflying I like to do a barrel roll no matter which way I’m tracking. In bigways you track to save your life. :)

CANOPY COURSE Video Training with Brian Germain at AdventureWisdom.com