superstu

sit/stand speeds?

what are you guys averaging in a sit/stand? Did a jump yesterday and averaged about 167 but couldn't stay with a person in a head down and i was in a full on stand. any advice on going faster in a head up position? thanks
Slip Stream Air Sports
Do not go softly, do not go quietly, never back down

Stu are you saying you were doing 167 in a stand and couldn't keep up with someone who was HD?? I generally run around 150-160 in a sit, and people tell me i am too fast for upright flying. I generally have no problems with hd'ers though.

Never look down on someone, unless they are going down on you.

the 167 was our average speed through the jump but yea i was not gaining any "ground" when i was in a stand. and the other jumper was in a big daffy trying to go as slow as possible.
Slip Stream Air Sports
Do not go softly, do not go quietly, never back down

what kinda suit are you jumping...

I know that I average about 150-155 in a sit, around 168 in a head down...

I fly a merlin suit that they built up for me which is slim cut with double layers on it for drag...

Cheers

Dave
http://www.skyjunky.com

CSpenceFLY - I can't believe the number of people willing to bet their life on someone else doing the right thing.

154 is pretty consistent for me regardless if I'm sitflying, standing, and now head down. I dunno why but that is what my Neptune shows. Depends on who is base and what their fall rate is but 150s is my pace which seems to work for most.

BTW...don't rely on clothes. I fly my body, not my clothes. So many rely on their clothes to slow fall or fall faster...when they should learn to fly their body in any attire. JMO:S

although I agree, and I can fly in a tshirt and a set of carhartt pants, my question was more wondering if he was wearing very draggy clothes that might hinder his speed RANGE...

a valid point, I am sure you will agree...

Dave
http://www.skyjunky.com

CSpenceFLY - I can't believe the number of people willing to bet their life on someone else doing the right thing.

although I agree, and I can fly in a tshirt and a set of carhartt pants, my question was more wondering if he was wearing very draggy clothes that might hinder his speed RANGE...

a valid point, I am sure you will agree...

Dave

Dave....hmmmmmmmm....:S....Let's put it this way..I don't use the fact that I had a lot of drag (bag) on my jumpsuit as an excuse to not modify my being able to stay with a freefly group. If I have a lot of drag with my suit I plan to drive my legs down if most on the jump have more sleek suits and are hauling ass,again..it depends on who is BASE....also if I'm with a floater like cutie patootie Julia at Zhills, I compensate by flying a lil on my back and catch more drag and slow my ass down to 140's to stay with her. Honestly...I feel that if I'm not base, it's MY JOB to compensate for who is BASE. I now am confident to slow or speed up to who is BASE.

BTW...don't rely on clothes. I fly my body, not my clothes. So many rely on their clothes to slow fall or fall faster...when they should learn to fly their body in any attire. JMO

Good answer for someone who has no experience with having trouble keeping slow for the group. I can fly my body, doesn't matter if I'm in shorts, a jumpsuit or nekid (funny story), but without a proper jumpsuit I quickly get up to and beyond 185mph in a sit.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

150-160 is average head up speeds..

HD speeds are not much faster (155-170) but then i havent mastered the 'slow' HD flight yet..

ive jumped with people who can hold 120 HD pretty easy.. and i can back fly with normal RW types... but manuverablity is limited at that slow a speed..

alright, I'm in the same situation. when I'm jumping with larger people and hd I can keep up with them, but barely. I have to stand for the most part. the problem with that is it makes it much harder to move and take docks.

in my normal sit I'm half way between sitting 90 degrees and standing. from instructors I hear that's the proper position. My weight is 135lbs and jump with a tight suit.

I have read some posts that say it doesn't matter about your weight, it's your body position that's slowing you down.

can anyone shed some light on this one for me

I'm a slow faller. I sit at 160 and only got up to 175 durning my last attempt to fly a stand.

Average for the whole jump? I wouldn't call that "slow".

"For once you have tasted Absinthe you will walk the earth with your eyes turned towards the gutter, for there you have been and there you will long to return."

I have read some posts that say it doesn't matter about your weight, it's your body position that's slowing you down.

can anyone shed some light on this one for me

That's true to a point. Look at it this way, every person has an absolute range they're able to fall, differnet body positions make that possible as well as different jumpsuits.

For instance, someone might beable to do under 120mph in a sit, BUT they won't be able to maneuver or take docs without speeding up. Every bit of their being is in use to go that slow. Same for the other side, someone might beable to do 200+mph in a sit/stand but they won't beable to move or take docks with out slowing down.

Basic RW flying should teach folks that, there's no reason to spend 100 jumps relearning what was learned in the 70's and 80s. Lets learn what they learned then apply it and move on faster and become more advanced from there.

The moral of the story is dress for success. If you're a big mofo like myself, you're gonna need atleast a semi-baggy, heavy fabric suit. If you're a little chick that weighs 100lbs, you're going to need a light fabric and fairly tight suit to help you out. Beyond that its learning how to fly a body position to help. Like little chicks flying mantis to go faster and guys like me flying flat with my arms out and knees down to fall at a slower speed (belly flying reference again). Or in my case lately, I'm knee flying in a VERY wide stance to fall slow and that little dude is in a half-stand to keep up.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

alright, I'm in the same situation. when I'm jumping with larger people and hd I can keep up with them, but barely. I have to stand for the most part. the problem with that is it makes it much harder to move and take docks.

in my normal sit I'm half way between sitting 90 degrees and standing. from instructors I hear that's the proper position. My weight is 135lbs and jump with a tight suit.

well two people of different weight with the exact same body position will have different fall rates.. so mimicing the position of someone heavier than you (who is probably trying to slow down) wont help you much...

at 135 your likely to be a bit floaty in the 'basic' position.. if your already flying in a half stand, start by bringing your legs in tighter in your basic sit (feet closer together.. but be aware that also makes your sit position less stable, so its more difficult to fly) before you go to a full stand... but unfortunately you'll likely have to get used to flying in a stand/near stand in with larger people..

also once your comfortable head up, and can HD fly in a safe controlled manner you might discover its simply easier to stay HD at an 'average' sitfly speed for the group you jump with... i know several tiny waifs who can fly HD with a fast belly flier so speeding it up for a sitfly is cake for them...

i tend to fly with my knees wide and calves out to grab air and slow down without going into a backfly (where i have less manuverability)... meanwhile some of the smaller fliers are in a sit with their knees close enough that their legs easily fit between mine when taking knee docks... which can occasionally get a bit scary :o:D

on average I do about a 145-150 in a sit. My speed will peak at around 165-170 at this point. in a stand my average speeds are around 155-160. and the last standing jump I made my mph peaked at 183. I use a neptune.

-Bowen
Retired Tunnel Instructor, Sky/Tunnel Coach

Former dealer for 2k Composites, Skysystems, Alti-2, Wings

Average for the whole jump? I wouldn't call that "slow".

Actually, I think that was my max. Hmm, Let me check...

Average on the 175 max, attempted stand, jump was 150.

And my batteries just died. So, my average on the 160 max, held stable sit, jump was probably around 145,

My average on belly jumps is about 125 with a 135 max.

Cheers

174 sit
266mph head down

Hahaha...

You qualify for... Team Anvil!

My friends are in the 297mph mark and up.
They are 40 lbs lighter than me too.
(check site below...I'm in there)