WrongWay

What do YOU do to go slow?

Just reading through some old posts and figured the freefly forum needed a spark anyway....;)

Personally, I have a nasty habit of going straight to daffy when things get slow or when I fly with sitflyers.....I'm told that it's a much better habit to just get wider. Any experienced freeflyers wanna comment on this?

When things get really slow, I do the ol' "rock the legs back and forth" technique.....hey it works for me. :P

So what do YOU do to get slow? B|

Edited to add: I'm not lookin' for personal advice really, this is more like a poll without the "poll". :P

Wrong Way
D #27371 Mal Manera Rodriguez Cajun Chicken Ø Hellfish #451
The wiser wolf prevails.

I am finally getting a little more comfortable on my head, but I have the same issue. At 200 lbs I fall pretty fast HD. The coach I've been working with suggested getting wider and moving my arms slightly forward. For the body position I usually found myself in, this works by giving my legs and arms cleaner air and more drag. It's also easier to take docks then having both arms maxed out to the sides.

--Keith
Arizona Drive 4-Way VFS - www.DriveVFS.com

Ok so doing the rocking thing is Ok as you are momentarily increasing your surface area, however no body wants to fly like that all the time having to create constant movement when you could be concentrating on other things. I dont think thats its a good idea to employ this method when working in groups where the movement you create could affect others in a formation ect...

To really slow up I also go to a wide daffy pulling my toes back and twisting the feet to the side to increase surface area. I Think about using every inch of available surface area in the given position and then think about being a strong flat surface. Don't forget to breathe!!!!!

Failing that you can double clutch ( both arms forward and legs back employing a slight arch to increase your surface area?) Takes a bit of getting used to.

Hope that helps you out.:P

All good stuff, and add carving to the mix. By carving around a formation that's floating, you can slow way down. It's not how you may want to spend the entire dive, but if the base slows down temporarily, then it's a good thing to use.
Don't Confuse Me With My Own Words

The slowest, stable body position that I've found on my head that still allows me to move around and take grips (although the range of motion is limited) is this: Go into your absolute widest stradle you can, bend your knees a little and push your legs behind you like you are going to initiate a forward motion. This will cause a forward motion which you must balance out with your arms. Move your arms forward so your elbows are near your hips with your elbows at about a 115 degree angle so your arms are fairly extended.

It feels weird at first, but works really well. I use that body position in the wind tunnel to be able to take 2 handed grips. It definitely takes some getting used to though to be sure you're not moving around.

I'll see if I can find a picture later to help make it more clear, I know my explanation above isn't the best :P
Wind Tunnel and Skydiving Coach http://www.ariperelman.com

All good stuff, and add carving to the mix. By carving around a formation that's floating, you can slow way down. It's not how you may want to spend the entire dive, but if the base slows down temporarily, then it's a good thing to use.

Unplained carving is an invitation to an unplained collision, I have been on the receiving end of a jumper carving around a group, everyones looking to the center, and not to the side, when the carver smashes unto you, if you are in a group, come straight in, on level, the collision I was in put the carver on the ground for six weeks, and knocked me for a loop shortly before breakoff, I was also hit yesterday by a jumper who was trying to put his gogles back on, went below the group, corked and slammed me with his knee, he was not wearing a helmet, thank god, I was. Be safe.
Tim
SCR-21

COME VISIT ME IN THE TUNNEL. We'll fix that in no time. I'm coaching now in the tunnel so I'll get ya straightned out in no time. You'll be flying plenty slow!

Sucka, I said in the title thread that I don't have a problem!! :D It's more like a poll, but thanks!! :P:D

And yes, I will DEFINITELY be coming down ASAP to come play with you both in the tunnel and in the sky. B| We miss our Portable Paigey Poo here in Ohio. :( Btw, saw your PD pics.....those are badass!!!!! B|B|B|

Wrong Way
D #27371 Mal Manera Rodriguez Cajun Chicken Ø Hellfish #451
The wiser wolf prevails.

And yes, I will DEFINITELY be coming down ASAP to come play with you both in the tunnel and in the sky. B| We miss our Portable Paigey Poo here in Ohio. :( Btw, saw your PD pics.....those are badass!!!!! B|B|B|

I miss U and Liz too, along with the whole SGC Crew. I've been slacking on getting out to Lake Wales but I wanted to wait till the landing gitters were worked out before I went traveling to dz's.
Tunnel Pink Mafia Delegate
www.TunnelPinkMafia.com

I weight like 230lbs with the rig,which is a really problem to slow down,but good idea is to make yourself a good suit with a lot drag on legs which will help you to fly slower :-) i think ouragan suits from Deland really fit the profile :-)
fly free
GRU

a good suit with a lot drag on legs

I always thought this was the answer & considered getting a suit w/ more drag... However, reading around; it now looks like we're being told to learn to fly our bodies slowly - not use material to do it for us. The more fitted leg & arms are being used for more proficient flying.

I need help slowing down A LOT. But am confused on the advice of drag vs. min drag for legs.

There is no can't. Only lack of knowledge or fear. Only you can fix your fear.

PMS #227 (just like the TV show)

hmmm I think I notice most of the big guys that are considered awesome fliers using more fabirc like bells and what not...myself i have a slimmer cut suit but with double layers....and I sitll have to fly daffy or real wide to keep myself below 200...

cheers

Dave
http://www.skyjunky.com

CSpenceFLY - I can't believe the number of people willing to bet their life on someone else doing the right thing.

a good suit with a lot drag on legs

I always thought this was the answer & considered getting a suit w/ more drag... However, reading around; it now looks like we're being told to learn to fly our bodies slowly - not use material to do it for us. The more fitted leg & arms are being used for more proficient flying.

I need help slowing down A LOT. But am confused on the advice of drag vs. min drag for legs.

should be a combination of both.. absolutely, focus on correct (efficient) body position, but dress for success... what this means in practical terms is you shouldn’t be compensating for bad habits by adopting a baggier suit... that said, there are people and dives i could simply not stay up with if i were wearing shorts or jeans vs my normal pants/jumpsuit while they were flying in their standard suits... and dives with a few floaty types (who’s normal body position is a stand in an 'average' sitfly dive) where i have to get so big to stay on level that i sacrifice alot of ability to maneuver...

you want to wear a suit that offers you the widest range of fall rates without compromising your ability to maneuver once level...

Thank you all for that clarification.

I'm learning to fly my body, but am having a hard time finding people willing to go 200+ for the whole dive while I work on things (like turns, trying daffy, grips...). So I'm tempted to go big on the jumpsuit; but really want to learn my body first - grrr.

At least I know where 90 off of jump run is & that I'm going straight down - solos sure aren't boring HD & they're not scary either.

There is no can't. Only lack of knowledge or fear. Only you can fix your fear.

PMS #227 (just like the TV show)

I weigh in at about 240lbs in kit.....I am still very much a beginner in headown.....but can hold the position down the tube...
My average speed is consistantly in the 170-180mph range....
When i try and go slower by doing a daffy....I find it really quite hard to get my legs comfortably straddled.......my suit has reasonably baggy legs

Its interesting to hear about a few guys struggling to keep under 200mph.......I thought I was falling like a brick at 180 with my inexperinced style and weight

I am 225 and have a hard time mantaining an even fall rate with my friend who weighs 150. I started out by corking a bunch but recently found that spreading my legs apart; like a stradle but without the knees bent. This works very well to slow my fall rate down considerable. It is like flying a totally different position though which I am still learning.
I also decided to order a really baggy suit and loose some lbs.
Blue Skies!!
Dan

I don't think carving around a formation is a good idea, especially if there are other people approcaching thier slots. As with RW if you have a position in the formation then you must stay in your quadrand,
match fall rate and level then take your dock.
By carving around you are putting yourself and others in danger.
I find the best way to slow down is by getting wide with my arms slightly forward.

Fly safe,

Willy
growing old is inevitable, growing up is optional.

Weird. I fall at around 245 km/k (148mph) in my most comfortable position wearing a Katrin Suit (rather tight) suit. To my defense, my "comfy" position is basically 'wide as possible' with my legs, but that's what I prefer. I'm a very light dude though.

Have to speed it when not jumping with people who're good at adjusting their fall rate, but sit flyers seem to like it :P