spidermonky

Not so good sit video

I did my 6th sitfly jump this weekend and had someone video it. Ended up being my worst sitflying jump yet. I think I just need to keep at it. The thing that surprised me most was how sensitive every movement is at freefly speeds. The guy filming suggested I try to ball up more when I go unstable to maintain my speed.
So here's the video, feel free to give pointers or just point and laugh. :D

Enjoy:
http://web.utk.edu/~dmain/cork.wmv
Soundtrack chosen for obvious reasons.

The only advice I can give is this, dont get frustrated!! Frustration only slows you're progress!! Other then that, ask any FFlyer around you're DZ for tips and advice. I have found that there are always a couple that are more then willing to lend a hand:)

The guy filming suggested I try to ball up more when I go unstable to maintain my speed.

No..... learn to fly your sit then worry about speed. Also learn to go on to your back when unstable instead of your belly......NO BELLY!! (it really shouldn't matter right now because your going to be doing solos and 2 ways with skilled people...but get in the habit now) I'd suggest at least ten solos just working on body position then a coach jump to see where you are.

;)
Yep remember a few of those jumps myself! Was thinking of changing my name to "flailingchicken".

Start working on getting into a tight ball the second you feel you are unstable. RELAX and then "slowly" put yourself back into your sit position. Any fast awkward movements will just make the problem worse. Widen up your sit as well, a really wide slower moving sit is easier to speed up from.
Hope that helps.:)

"Diligent observation leads to pure abstraction". Lari Pittman

I feel so much better now. :)
Hee hee, just messing with you. I remember when I was doing that. Looks like you aren't bent enough, like the 90 degree angles aren't there. But hey, ask someone who knows, I don't know dick. But I try.

PcCoder.net

Yepp!
Most of us have been there, spinning around. The best advise I can give you is to breath and relax.
The more you try to fight the air the more you will be spinning around. So, before exit - take a deep breath and keep breathing through the jump.

And you did had a sit for a few seconds sometimes.

If you start to wobble (or slightly befor actually) I prefere to go to the ball with arms out (also known as vRW stable).

Nice work by the camera as well - gave me some tips to think of.

Keep on it!
-Fear not those who argue, but those who dodge.

My advice (if you want it) is the next jump you make try and fly with your butt being the low point on your body, kinda like being in a lazy boy. Then all you have to do is put your feet down. Don’t worry, one day everything will just click and it will actually be easy.

Man....you dunno how similar that looks to my first attempts at sitting !
Im by no way an expert....but I was having exactly the same problem as you (ie lower legs not really at 90deg)...
so I'll give you my advice as to what worked for me ...and take the heat from any experienced guys out there with their 'flamethrowers' already warmed up !;)...
When ya legs go under ya like that....fighting it just aint gonna work....I roll up in a ball ,roll onto my back and work from there...arms pushed back...and then push ya legs down....its much less effort than trying to recover from that sit position where your lower legs feel 'pinned' under ya bum !
just make sure you ball up first...

If you have not seen my sitfly progression vid on Skydivingmovies.com...it might interest you..as I looked identical to you on that vid ! but like to think i 'Got it' now.:)http://www.skydivingmovies.com/ver2/pafiledb.php?action=file&id=1383

Hey SpiderMonkey,

Good job and Great effort! There are a few points in the jump when you are flying vertical, stable, and on one heading. These are the moments you are shooting for at this point.

It looks as though you may have taken some advice from people on the ground and have gone up there and experemented a few times. That is GREAT, because you are on the right track!!! This looks like the video jump where nothing seemed to works out - Murphy's Law - this always happens with the eyes on you. [:/] Try taking a step back and evaluate this skydive for a different perspective.

Try not to fight the wind because you will never win. Make it work for you. My advice would be to go out on a few jumps simply flying on your back in a de-arched postition - just like someone said...as though you were on a reclining chair. Lay back, relax and enjoy a few skydives like that. Get used to NOT looking at the ground all of the time. Trust your altimeter(s). Trust your spotting. Learn to make minor changes to your positioning. AND above all - relax.

Within a couple of jumps, in this position, you should be able to pic a heading and adjust your limbs (slightly enough) to make turns and stop. Relax as much as you can and make subtle adjustment to body position to stop or start momentum.

Do you have an audible? How many times did you check the altitude on that jump? I only saw one time - that was breakoff altitude, is this correct? If you decide to do the back jumps, practice checking your altitude once in a while. Try to remain stable and on heading while checking. It is more difficult to check in the actual sit position and this will help you get used to countering the movement.

From the back position it is only one slight move to the sit and it's easy as pie. My advice would be to go out and try that for now. Feel free to PM if you want when you get this down. :)

Thanks for all the advice.
I'm getting better, or at least I'm spending more of my skydives being stable.

The cameraman did do a great job. He was on his back, then standing, then sitting, all while chasing me across the sky. :D

I'll try the reclined position on my next couple of jumps.
I'm getting an audible in the next week or so. You're right about not looking at my altimeter, but that was because we broke off at 7k so the cameraman could get some time under a canopy he was unfamiliar with. I got lucky checking my alti right at our planned break off, but I knew the entire jump I wasn't about to go low anytime soon.