ifics

Sit speeds??

I seem to sit slow, my protrack reads an average of 156mph on almost every sit jump. Is that a normal speed for sit? I know how to speed up but with some of the jumps I do I end up in a stand the entire jump. I wear FF pants with a long sleeve shirt, the pants are not extremely baggy but they are not super tight either. So whats the word doodz...

From my experience 160 isn't a bad fallrate, you still need a range on eitherside, but that's very workable. Just like RW, you need to be able to fly a range to match with other jumpers and still have good control for docks and such in the majority of your range.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

From my experience 160 isn't a bad fallrate, you still need a range on eitherside, but that's very workable. Just like RW, you need to be able to fly a range to match with other jumpers and still have good control for docks and such in the majority of your range.

Speeding up is easy for me but I need work on learning more ways to slow down, sounds like I need some coaching:)

I wouldn't worry too much about what your pro-track reads. It just matters how your speed is relative to the people you are jumping with and if you all are in a relatively mutual comfort zone.

FYI- my protrack generally reads around 145-150 when I am doing a mainly sit-fly jump.

"Life is a temporary victory over the causes which induce death." - Sylvester Graham

I wouldn't worry too much about what your pro-track reads. It just matters how your speed is relative to the people you are jumping with and if you all are in a relatively mutual comfort zone.

What he said. ;)

Wrong Way
D #27371 Mal Manera Rodriguez Cajun Chicken Ø Hellfish #451
The wiser wolf prevails.

Jeez how freaky is this sport...
All the way through my RW (Belly) Training (WARP) I felt like a bad dog when all my jump partners were strapping on lead left right and centre as I fell like a stone !
Now Im sitting and I fall at 140-145 consitantly in my 'neutral' stable sit( and Ive not really tried to slow fall in a sit) and that goes to about 165 in a stand.....
I dont get it !!

What do y'all think thats about.....Im 6ft 3 and 205lbs...im figuring its beecause i have a big wingspan....with my arms out to the side...but I dunno

I am the same way but 5'5'', 150. I have an Average sit speed of 145, i can get it down to 135 in a suit and 160 in a stand but still really slow for most people at my DZ ;unless they are on their belly.:P

"Pilots without Maintainers are just pedestrians with cool jackets and sunglasses"

It just matters how your speed is relative to the people you are jumping with and if you all are in a relatively mutual comfort zone.

Exactly! Don't worry about what your average rate is - worry about what your range is. If you can get as slow as 130 and as fast as 160, you can keep up with pretty much anyone.

Spend several jumps getting your legs wide and your arms way out, and see what your slowest speed is. Then get your legs together and see how much you can bring your arms in for several jumps to see what your fastest rate is.

Then when someone asks you what your sit speed is, you can say anywhere from this speed to that speed. If you have any overlap, you know you can fly together.
Trapped on the surface of a sphere. XKCD

It just matters how your speed is relative to the people you are jumping with and if you all are in a relatively mutual comfort zone.

Exactly! Don't worry about what your average rate is - worry about what your range is. If you can get as slow as 130 and as fast as 160, you can keep up with pretty much anyone.

Spend several jumps getting your legs wide and your arms way out, and see what your slowest speed is. Then get your legs together and see how much you can bring your arms in for several jumps to see what your fastest rate is.

Then when someone asks you what your sit speed is, you can say anywhere from this speed to that speed. If you have any overlap, you know you can fly together.

ahhhh, I C.. That will be my next set of jumps, seeing my slowest/fastest speeds in a sit. Thanks to all who provided info!

One gal I know falls as slow as mid 120's (according to pro-track)(she is 5'9" and 120lbs) Got her working on speeding it up a bit and getting her outta her baggy ass freefly pants and thick sweatshirt and into a properly fitting Firefly suit. So no your sit is not that slow. Like most people have already mentioned you are in the average range. Over time you will learn to slow it down a bit too.
Good Luck

DJ Marvin
AFF I/E, Coach/E, USPA/UPT Tandem I/E
http://www.theratingscenter.com

hehehe, yeah keep trying hopefully we get to do another sit/belly speed test this weekend, it would look cool on pics.

Eat some more during the week, and I'll starve myself and then we might be able to pull off both of us sitting. :P

HAH!!! Its on dood!

What he said. ;)

*scratches head* um... hon... don't you mean "she"?? :P:D

regardless... i agree with others... relative to others comes first... and 160 ain't that bad. :P