AggieDave

"Lubing" the Cutaway cable...

Alright, I was under the distinct impression that one did NOT "lube" the cutaway cable, but you cleaned it with something like food-grade silicon and wiped the excess off, simply to clean it.

I know that the article in Parachutist said "lube" and that a post in another thread by a very experienced jumper said "lube", too.

I know that Hooknswoop wrote something to that effect a good while back in a 30-day maintence thread he created, and if I remember correctly Bill Booth himself posted something along those lines a while back too, although I could be mistaken.

What are some opinions from the rest of the riggers on the forums about this?
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

Silicone spray; I think it's the Ace Hardware brand is the brand of champions. Since it's a lubricant, I'd imagine that "lube" could be applied as a word.

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

I'd imagine that "lube" could be applied as a word

Yes, but in the instances I've seen over the past month or so, that's now how it was being used. It was being used seperately then "cleaning" as in "clean then lube the cable."

I'm not trying to single you out, though.

Especially since the article in Parachutist said "clean and lube."

And I'm definately not trying to do the "I'm right, you're wrong" bullshit, I definately don't have the experience or skill in this sport to pull that sort of attitude.

I'm looking for some rigger's opinions. :)

No, No... it wasn' taken that way, Dave. You were actually right in pointing out the generic term that we sometimes use while assuming all know its full meaning. You reminded me that I had used sloppy and assumed verbiage in a forum where folks come for information.

I appreciate the opportunity to clarify. I'd hate for someone to break out some "10W-40" and start waxing up their cutaway cables.

Keith

Well I'll point it out to Derek, it definately does say light duty oil or dry silicon. Here is a direct quote from Mr. Booth

The best stuff I've found for cleaning and lubricating 3 ring cables is Silicone Spray Lubricant. We use Ace Hardware Store brand. Just spray onto a clean rag or paper towel, and wipe down the cable a few times. Only a thin invisible film should remain. A light mineral oil, such as 3-in-1 is also fine. Do this every month, or more often if you jump at a very dusty dropzone.

So I guess certain oils are ok, although we won't use anything except ACE pure silicon lubricant. Here where it is really dusty, the difference is amazing. Cables are still clean after 120 days, and you know the owners never cleaned them. Heck they usually get this blank look when you tell them they need to flex the 3 rings every month.
Fly it like you stole it!

I have been using silicone spray for years. Sprayed on the center of a paper towel, then wiping the cable thoroughly. Lastly wipe the excess silicone off with a clean part of the towel.

The surface of the cutaway cable actually contains very small poers, to which to silicone adheres - thus the "lube."

I have heard manufacturers recommend mineral oil or 3-In-1 oil, but most Riggers I know use silicone.
Arrive Safely

John

You have a problem with "Lubing the Cable"? ;)

Silicone IS a lube...We use it on package slides to reduce friction.

I would not use oil....
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

How would one clean out the cable housing?
If dust and grit can adhere to the cables they can certainly adhere to the inside of the housings as well.

I would imagine that they need to be cleaned and lubed as well?

Good question...I don't know
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

How would one clean out the cable housing?
If dust and grit can adhere to the cables they can certainly adhere to the inside of the housings as well.

I would imagine that they need to be cleaned and lubed as well?

Good question...I don't know

I wonder if using a mechanic's air hose to blow through the cable housing might be effective?

I wonder if using a mechanic's air hose to blow through the cable housing might be effective?

But if there's sand/grit/crap in there you've just blown it all over your rig and possibly into the reserve. I like the swab it out idea.

Jump
Scars remind us that the past is real

To clean stainless steel release housings, use a gun cleaning rod...

Now those I have plenty of... including a flex rod. I really really REALLY don't like carbon tet (weapons guy for ten years in the military)... can I just use a dry dustless swab that won't leave any fibers in the housing, Rob?

a 22 caliber flexible rifle bore cleaner works perfectly for this.

also using a swab works great too after you run the bore cleaner through to get the gunk out...it's kinda scary to see how much crap comes out too!!!:|

Marc
otherwise known as Mr.Fallinwoman....