nitrodan

Sit flying

I'm having a really hard time learning to hold a sit I've got about 20 attempts and i just spend most of my time on my back. I decided to try head down instead and I'm picking it up very fast . but if I don't learn to sit first I'll never learn it properly. Anyone know any tricks that might help me out?
DAN SMITH
www.skydivewichita.com

Hey Dan, If you are wearing those huge pants and a sweatshirt, thats going to make it a little more difficult to begin with. The best thing is to wear tight pants or shorts and something baggy on top. Make sure to get your arms straight out to the side and push your heels down into the wind.

i just started sitting myself not to long ago and i started in shorts and a long sleeve baggy shirt. I found out that the extra drag on my upper body did make it easier to hold the sit, along with an excellent coach and much advise.
"Professor of Pimpology"~~~Bolas

Try putting your hands and arms back as far as you can and push with them against the air until you get upright. It would be similar to laying on the floor and pushing against the floor with your hands to prop you upright. Feet must be pressed down also.

You can put your arms back to get upright but this would also lead to the bad habit of flying with your arms back and leaning forward. A lot of people fly with their upper body leaned forward and their arms back, but this really decreases your mobility. You want to have your knees and hips at 90 degree angles so you have a range of movement forward and backward.

Yeah, what jayhawkjumper just said about 90 angles. Also make sure your legs are about shoulder width apart at least to add some stability.

With the money you just spent on the last few jumps getting frustrated you could get a coaching jump and get on the right track. :)

As simply as it seems have someone who is good look @ you as you practice sitting while on the ground..on the edge of a bench, chair..etc. Many times people forget to get there legs down & wide so you don't scrounge up & have a whole bunch of air hit your chest. If you can relax & lean back thinking wide strong legs it should help
How can you go back when you don't know why you're here

Hey Derek....I'm stalking...naa, just checking things out. Denise from FL who saw ya in Aggieland this weekend. Make sure to check out the Aggieland Pics post....got some cool shots. Wished I could have done a coach jump with you - just to maybe fine tune some things. Next time without a doubt!

Take care ~ D

Dreams become reality, one choice at a time...

you could get a coaching jump and get on the right track. :)

I must agree, one sit fly coach jump with goat and I held a sit for the entire dive the very next jump. The man can teach.
Thanks again Goat.

"Sacrifice is a part of life. It is supposed to be. It's not something you regret . It's something to aspire to." Mitch Albom

I don't have a sit fly coach at my DZ I have a lot of good sit fliers but doing it and teaching it are two very different things. I'm planning on doing some coach jumps at WFFC or maybe in dallas at skyfest so hopefully they will help.
DAN SMITH
www.skydivewichita.com

When I was learning to sit I found that if I was unstable, keeping my arms out and bringing my Knees up to my chest kept my feet below me, Then after you get stable just punch your feet down and open your legs about shoulder length, It helped me get the swing of it, and once you get it the first time, it will seem easy after that.
Still here after all these years

Clayton

My sit came along SO quickly with a little help from a buddy. If it's spending time on your back that is hindering you... Try stretching the arms out as you should in sit, but a little 'upwards'... bring your knees right up to your chest... Now you are a space-ball and your arms/hands are the ribbon (get it?) Let the arms stream above you and use only you hands to make slight corrections but this position will most definately but you butt-down-head-up.

From here, you can focus on slowly pushing the heels down. Making the transifion slowly will give you a better feel for how changes in your body position affects your flight. It shoud feel just like getting up out of a chair and you'll notice your arms compensating for it. Remember 90 degrees! Arms 90degrees to the torso, knees bent at 90 degrees and 90 degrees apart (if you were looking 'birds-eye' downwards, there would be a 90degree angle at the crotch)

I hope that helps. Definately do the space-ball a la cannon ball though on your next attempt, it will get you properly orientated... a little fast but properly orientated.

My Karma ran over my Dogma!!!

I think it is important to know sit before headdown for safety reasons too. If you cork in a head down and can't go to sit and end up on your belly, someone could be above you (not corking) and you could have a collision on your hands. This is just my opinion though, there could be other ways to avoid this scenario too.:)I would see if anyone at your dz has a sitfly suit you could borrow. They work really good for training. Or, as someone else said--tighter on bottom, baggy on top. good luck!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The mind is like a parachute--it works better when it is open. JUMP.
MaryRose

Learn to sit before spending too much time on your head. One must learn how to crawl before they can walk. Goodluck!

I'll second this... When you start freeflying, you need to have a "NEUTRAL" position. Normally, that would be your typical boxman. Everything falls to Sh*T, whaddya do? ARCH and get stable. but in freeflying, (as I'm sure you know) getting on your belly can be disastrous when you're jumping with others. Learning to sit becomes the new neutral.
I'll also 2nd what some others have said about learning to sit, arms out 90 degrees, pull you legs up to your chest, you'll feel your self rotate into the sit (USE THIS as your neutral until you get the hang of it..)
Now, push your legs down symetrically, trying to keep your balance. If you start getting unstable, bring you legs back up to your chest.
a REALLY good FF once told me (wink 2 bets) your legs are basically a stump in sit flying.
I promise not to TP Davis under canopy.. I promise not to TP Davis under canopy.. eat sushi, get smoochieTTK#1