sunnydee123

Silly Headdown Question....

First, let me say I am in no rush to start FOCUSING 100% on headdown, still got lots of playing to do with my sit but let me ask.....would standing on your head and learning to balance help you at all when it comes to headdown? Just wondering.

I'd love to think I could possibly transition from a sit to headdown and then back to sit...even if I can't really hold headdown. Or should transitioning be just maybe doing a cartwheel and getting back to sit?

Just asking......:)

Dreams become reality, one choice at a time...

standing on your head on the ground is just going to hurt your head:) I may help in some sort of way, but would say that standing in front of a mirror imitating what you see in hd fliers is much better. that will get the muscle memory without all of the blood rushing to your head!

transition from a sit to headdown and then back to sit...even if I can't really hold headdown. Or should transitioning be just maybe doing a cartwheel and getting back to sit?

do whatever you want, as long as the people you jump with know what you are planning on doing and are compentant enough to stay out of your way, or if you go solo.... try it all. hell if you go solo try a hd jump the whole way... (keep alit aware!) and dont slide into others airspace....

have fun and never stop learning!
-yoshi

First, let me say I am in no rush to start FOCUSING 100% on headdown, still got lots of playing to do with my sit but let me ask.....would standing on your head and learning to balance help you at all when it comes to headdown? Just wondering.

In my opinion, yes.
Balance training of any sort will improve your body's coordination and your unconscious awareness of body position and the proper placement of your center of gravity.

(In other words, practicing balance will make you get better at any physical sport, including freeflying, without even having to try)

Doing head stands using good, symmetrical, straight head down body position has its advantages and disadvantages.
Advantages:
-- proper head down visuals
-- once you get used to it, and as long as you're not using your arms forcefully to tripod your body into the position, the balancing principle is exactly the same as in the air: your center of gravity balanced over your head.

Disadvantages:
-- uncomfortable blood head rush
-- actually being upside down on the ground will mess with your inner ear's sense of balance; as far as the actual sensation of being head down, standing up feels closer to the real thing then doing head stands.

Hope this helps,
Glen.
"Spread your legs and fly"

Absolutely helps. Balance training is very helpful

If you stand on your head and hands a lot, you learn what straight up and down is. you can learn to balance with your legs in various positions, Daffies, splits,... etc.

Top Freefliers do it all the time. Well... so do less than top freefliers for that matter.

It's fun, challenging, and makes for good entertainment after hours or when you are grounded to create formations on the ground as well.

You will certainly become more body aware because of it.
My grammar sometimes resembles that of magnetic refrigerator poetry... Ghetto

Do it against a wall to get the feeling of having your back straight. Then pull your hands up toward your side like you are really flying head down, now dock on your dogs nose! 180 then dock on your dog's tail!

Disclaimer: Standing on your head is a dangerous activity and should only be done with proper training and equipment.
...FUN FOR ALL!

Absolutely helps. Balance training is very helpful

If you stand on your head and hands a lot, you learn what straight up and down is. you can learn to balance with your legs in various positions, Daffies, splits,... etc.

Top Freefliers do it all the time. Well... so do less than top freefliers for that matter.

It's fun, challenging, and makes for good entertainment after hours or when you are grounded to create formations on the ground as well.

You will certainly become more body aware because of it.

Yup, yup and balancing on a fulcrum helps too..kinda like a small teeter totter;) but using your feet. :)

Just figured there had to be SOMETHING I could do on the ground to give me an idea what it would feel like......FYI - I am not the best stander on your header.....ouchie!

If I could just find a pal to jump with me over and over and over and over and hold me until I could feel it......I'll figure it out....thanks for all the info gang - you can be sure I'll let ya know when and if I feel it, kinda like I did with my sit. I wanted EVERYONE to know....

Big hugs and blue ones~ D

Try this: Put a pillow on the floor next to a wall (this'll make your head have less bumps on it when you're done), and do a headstand on it, with your back on the wall. What you're looking for here is symetry. Important things: Hips forward, chest in (if you're a "gifted" girl then you might want to think hard about that in freefall. :)
Blue skies,
Wrong Way
Ohio, USA

Wrong Way
D #27371 Mal Manera Rodriguez Cajun Chicken Ø Hellfish #451
The wiser wolf prevails.

learning balance is the key.

flying head down is absolutely nothing like just standing on your head.

you could practice upright in front of a mirror. put your head someplace that your body has to compensate for - watch what your torso, legs and arms do.

more importantly, get coaching!!! seriously. even if it's just to learn the basics, or even just the theory.

other than that, go do it. make sure you're gear safe, learn your jump run, talk to your loader, figure out your exit order and separation, be sure that you're not moving up and down jump run, be altitude aware, and just go out solo and turn yourself upside down.

the longer you try it without a coach, the longer youll be just 'trying' it. but you'll start to get the feeling and maybe get somewhat comfortable.

MOST importantly is to be safe. (oh, and have fun)

Action expresses priority. - Mahatma Ghandi

WOW....an older thread rejuvinated! ;)

Thanks for the tips and I have a very special pal meeting me in Cross Keys for some coaching. I understand now what you mean about jumping with friends compared to getting actual coaching. My jump numbers are adding up and my skill continues to improve but with a few REAL COACHING jumps I think I might make some REAL PROGRESS...

FYI - I am ALL ABOUT SAFETY FIRST - no worries there. I am still new and tend to still be a bit onthe conservative side. This first year is my "learning" year so I can figure out what really makes my heart go pitter patter in the sky and next year I will be all about 1 focus - or so I think. B|

I'm mucho excited-o! Watch out - SunnyDee is on the loose! :$

Watch out - SunnyDee is on the loose! :$

LOL ... it wasn't that long ago (5 weeks I'm guessing) that sunnydee123 had only ever jumped at her home DZ of Sebastien. In that time she's visited Z-Hills, Aggieland, Raeford with Cross Keys, possibly the Ranch and what Richmond in her near future? But Rantoul is still not in the cards. :S

It's all good though ... I'm just jealous ... B|

Try not to worry about the things you have no control over

Sunny Dee,

forget standing on your head it will hurt however, go to the pool, lake whatever and get on you head and try transituions from sit to head. It works, weird as it sounds its worth trying water is a fluid same as air and it enables you to start building muscle memory and orientation. Dive pools are ideal but make sure no ones jumps in.

Hope that helps.

Cheers

Fraser

:)
Dont just talk about it, Do it!