LukeOliver

Freefall Freefly Signals

I've seen, and used, the 'breath' one, and made up a few while trying to show my friends how to head down. We use a shake, or the AFF 'arch' hand signal in reverse, to mean 'stop arching', and pointing to my eyes to mean 'look straight out'. 'fly towards me' and 'stop' are pretty self explanatory, and spinning your finger around an axis means rotate around that axis (flip, turn, cartwheel). That about it. It'd be interesting to know what other people use.

Blues

Ted
Like a giddy school girl.

Put your legs straight is the peace sign. If you are sitting the same sign would be in a crunched position and for stand the same but pointing down. Once my coach was sitting with me (13 way) and I did not see his signal so he started putting his legs straight and bent, straight and bent rather quickly. It was real funny on video.

Arms forward was thumb and pinky towards your coach and the other way for moving away or backward movement. Also the 'come here' or a universal coaxing move for come forward.

I think a fist was stop / hold position.

It seams like a cartwheel was my coach doing his head sideways quick with a flip of his hand.

I knew what we were going to work on certainly before the skydive. So these signals were not a suprise for me. We went thru it and he did the same hand signals on the ground that he would do in the air.

The breathe signal for me was in the door and it was my coach doing an exagerated breath for himself with an open mouth, raised chest and his eyes buggin out.

I am unaware of a standard for hand signals in FFing. Somebody else may know. I am all for it.

For those that are unstable or out of control, signals arent going to help. For this your money (IMO) needs to be spent on some more solo work.

Communication is key with anyone you jump with.

But that is just my 1.5 cents of experience talking.
Be safe - have fun - dont forget to smile.

~AirAnn~

Well the ones I have used or been used on me are

Point towards sky - slow down (got that alot as when I started HD my avg speed was 200 MPH)
Point towards ground - go faster
V signal- widen legs
Stop & move forward - easy
Make a fist, then stick out just pinkie & thumd, then 180 your hand & that means transition... much easier to show than explain

Index finger pointing towards the sky & making a circle is 360
Index finger pointing at you & making a circle means cartwheel

So far that's all I can think of but if anymore come to mind Luke we'll dicuss it over a beer this evening at the DZ B|

Erix

Here are some I came up with for working with headdown beginners aware enough to handle freefall signals:

hand to chin: " tuck your chin in a bit"

flat hands motioning up and down
along sides of head: "head straight on shoulders"

fingers pointing forward beside head " head forward a bit."

hands on shoulders" relax your shoulders, don't arch"

hands motioning around waist: "tuck in your pelvis "

Probably too specific for someone still at the "zooming all around" stage, but they may be useful as reminders for people refining upper body symmetry to get down the tube.
"Spread your legs and fly"

Middle finger extended with arm extended as well...
Implemented by Mike Ortiz...

:o your toggle's out, and it looks like your going to have some fun when you pitch...

"The edge ... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who know where it is are those that have gone over"

I learned a new one from Dave Donnelly this week at Project Horizon.... if you tap your toes together it is a sign to the other person to go under you i.e. eagle. Pretty cool. B| I was wondering how to communicate that!

Fall in dove.