flow

How to slow my sit?

Easy....just rock onto your back and throw your arms and legs out. It will slow you down a bunch and once you get used to doing it you should be able to turn and even drive forward a little while in this position.
"Here I come to save the BOOBIES!"

Yeah, what Clay said, but be careful that you're not under someone when you rock back, since if you rock back on your back aggressively, you will slow down *quick*. Thus you will come screaming up to the group above you, that could make for a really bad collision.
Aerials
So up high
When you free your lives (the) eternal prize

Another thing to consider if you find yourself consistantly below jumpers is your jumpsuit. Fast fallers should have baggier jumpsuits made out of heavier material. This will allow you to have a slower neuteral fall rate without sacrificing body position. Also, to slow up and cover a lot fo ground, simply going onto your back is not always the best way. In fact, it is better to keep the neuteral "sit" position and pivot backwards as of your hips is the axis, all the while keeping your form. This is what I have been taught by Brian Germain and Mike Swanson. Have fun and be careful out there!
-Rap

Hey Flow, I'm a big guy who can sit with most head downers.....
If you are sitting in a regular 'office chair' position, instead of going straight onto your back, which may induce corking as described earlier, try a slow transition to a 'lazy boy' type position. Use your arms and the back of your legs to press down and arch a little. Minor fall rate changes can be managed by pressing down with your arms.
I've been doing some good drill dives with some chums by only working on fall rate and proximity control. Set a leader who can change fall rate and try and stay level with them. It also breeds good anticipation skills. Try and avoid rapid fall rate changes, smooth and slow is good.
Cya
D

I've been attempting to perfect my sit for 3 years. One thing that bums me out is how fast I drop and how quickly the dive comes to an end. I bought a large winged sit suit from Tad's Sportsware and it has slowed me down significantly. Most belly flying lizards can stay with me, or I can drop with a head downer. It requires a lot strength in the shoulders and arms to hold the slow flight, but the speed range with this suit is fantastic! Some think that the suit is "cheating"; but it gives me more versatility than other flyers. It somthing you might consider....
Skydiving is not a static excercise with discrete predictability...

I went from 175mph average fall rate in my sit to an average of 140mph now. I started off with using the lazy boy reclining position and then I got a Firefly freefly suit made for me and that baby slowed me down soooooooo much!!! Try getting a good freefly suit made for your measurements.

I bought a large winged sit suit from Tad's Sportsware and it has slowed me down significantly. Most belly flying lizards can stay with me, or I can drop with a head downer. It requires a lot strength in the shoulders and arms to hold the slow flight, but the speed range with this suit is fantastic!

I've never seen it, but have heard from very reliable sources that those suits have been responsible for ending skydiving careers. The extra stress placed on the shoulders and arms causes/can cause damage to the joints. Just something to think about.
-
Jim

The "lazy boy" position is ok, but I think you lose a lot of mobility while you're doing that. If you go way low, it's a good way to get back up quickly, just be careful with it.
If you're just a little low, or the people you're falling with have a slow fall rate, try this - move your feet apart. Not your whole leg though, just move your feet out so they're not under your knees anymore. So, if you're sitting with your legs parallel, move to feet only out to shoulder width apart, maybe more - to someone in front of you, it looks like you're almost trying to make an upside down "V" - you've moved your feet apart, not your knees. Make sense?
Try it by yourself a few times, you'll get really unstable probably the first few times you try it, but it works very much nice.
Dogs don't know it's not bacon!

I side slide by by pushing hips to the sides. I think if you try what you describe to slide, you will initiate a turn and will require upper body input to counter it.....
As for minor slowing, and levelling off etc, I find by pressing down with my arms, I can get little changes for docking etc.....
"I might bend my hat in the process, but I'd still teach that guy a lesson or two" David Lund......

I have a wider range fall rate than anyone at my DZ.
I have a sit suit from Tad's with very large wings. I can sit with a belly flier or drop with a head downer.
I have been accused of "cheating" usin

g it, but it really gives me more time in the air!

"Slow down! You are too young
to be moving that fast!"

Old Man Crawfish