lummy

Audible's

I'm just wondering what everyone's thoughts about Audibles are for Freeflying? considering the fact that wrist mounts can be in places where you can't view them (or as I am learning, a turn of the head to look turn you as well) and chest mounts have issues with the burble, would people consider an Audible to be essential to safe free flying?
Almost forgot... Not to mention that your internal altimeter is now off if you are transitioning from belly
Still a man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest....

I'm just wondering what everyone's thoughts about Audibles are for Freeflying

For good or bad, I tend to rely on mine a lot. It's why I went out and bought a Dytter as a backup to my ProTrack.
I still can sorta sense when we're getting close to turn & burn altitude, but as far as when to actually make my move, I listen to the beeper.

Not to mention that your internal altimeter is now off if you are transitioning from belly

It's kinda funny. My internal clock is now tuned to freefly times. I went on a few RW jumps and every time I'd start getting this "Shit we should be breaking now" feeling. I'd look at my alti and we'd be at 6K. By the time we got to 4K breakoff, I was getting really ancy, like we were burning it Way Low. :D
"Zero Tolerance: the politically correct term for zero thought, zero common sense."

Get as many aids to altiude awareness as you can. But don't rely on any of them too much. I jump with a single pro-track atm but I'm mostly doing flatfly, but when I move to the dark side I'm planning on getting a pro-dytter as well.
You shouldn't put a knife in the toaster - but you're an adult now !!! :D

I jumped without one for my first 150 jumps till i could afford one. Now I wont leave the ground without one. Its not always easy to see your wrist mount in HD. In sit you should have no problem checking you alty with some pratice.

I did the majority of my first 700 jumps without an audible - all belly flying. I got one before I started freeflying and I really wouldn't want to freefly without one now, especially considering that my internal clock is pretty much set to RW time...
That said, don't forget about the "other" altitude reference - your eyes. I can usually tell about when my audible is going to go off regardless of body position by where the horizon is; if you jump primarily at one dz you should already be able to have a rough idea of break off time by using references other than an audible or visual alti - remember, any and all instruments can and just might not operate on any one jump :)pull and flare,
lisa
--
What would Scooby Doo?

What I've seen some FFers do is put an alti on the top of their shoe. Attatch it to the ankle and the shoelaces, so the face is facing up. From what I was told (haven't tried it yet) is that although it is in a burble, it is in less of one then on the chest and since you only have to glance down to see it, it works well.
Some of the more experienced FFers may want to chime in if that is wrong. :)"Wait...are you selling Penis Mighters?"

What I've seen some FFers do is put an alti on the top of their shoe. Attatch it to the ankle and the shoelaces, so the face is facing up

I tried it and didn't like it all that much. I wasn't as easy to see as I thought it would be. I'm getting a little better at freeing up my hands so I can look at my wrist-mount.
"Zero Tolerance: the politically correct term for zero thought, zero common sense."

Good point Lisa,
And especially if you see canopies opening "It's OH SHIT time!!!!" Unless of course you are jumping in close order to the sudents/ lower time #s who will be pulling at 4ish.
It's amazing to me when I think about how much more I notice what is going on around me than even 8 months ago.
Head on a swivel......
Still a man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest....

I just recently bought a audible. Im really happy with it. I used to spend alot of time looking back and fourth at my alti. My audible gives me a little more confidence to just enjoy my skydive and wait for the tones. Although an audible should never take the place of an altimeter especally for a newer skydiver I strongly believe in them

dytters time out pro tracks are needed for free fly.
as you progress in freefly you will be able to look at your alti
wit out it interfering with your dive but use the three
(visual alti and aduible)never focus on just one( alti is the best though) have fun be safe!!!!!!
this space for rent........

I bought a used dytter and set it for around 6K just to give me a heads up on, its about time to pull, then use my wrist mount for the right alti on when to dump. SO i would say that an audible is very helpful. Plus when learning to sit i had problems while turning my head and arm to look at my wrist mount it would cause me to go unstable.
Blue Skies
Joe
"When they say jump you say how high" RATM

I saw those shoe mounts too... I didn't think much of them. Seemed kinda gimmicky. I'd rather have my altimeter where I, and other people, can see it if I point at it. Once you start freeflying a lot, you'll learn that you don't need your arms as much as you did when you started and you shouldn't have any trouble looking on your wrist. Listen to your Dytters, but verify a couple of times with your regular-'ol altimeter.

If you go to some Freefly festivals in Europe alot of them require you to have Audible' for freeflying. You shouldn't be dependant on these but they have helped in avoiding reserve rides.
Shoe/leg mounted audible' ( Pro Track) is the recommended place for positioning them by L & B.

Shoe/leg mounted audible' ( Pro Track) is the recommended place for positioning them by L & B.

Yeah because they are so f***** loud you could become deaf ;-)
You got something wrong here. Mount it on your ankle/leg to measure the most precise freefall data as speed etc.
But to get distinct warnings and to have them work as "audible" you should wear them in or on your helmet so you can hear the signals.
But indeed, for many freeflyers here audibles are mandatory, e.g. since a few days you have to get the "blue tag" in Ampuriabrava, which is in fact a kind of licence that allows you to do freefly jumps with more than 2 persons. Babylon Freefly made a pdf "A Freefly Guide" here to download.
The licence is called CBT-licence (Compulsory Basic Training) and the CPCB has introduced it March 1st. Who doesn't get it is only allowed to jump with an instructor (if you want a freefly with more than 2):
1. Safety Briefing -> get Freefly Guide
2. Test with Babylon Freefly School
3. no more without dytter and without Cypres (mandatory)
4. Babylon Freefly Visa --> registration and number in CPCB-office
5. "Blue Tag"
I have 2 dytters mounted in my helmet and I'm glad about.
Blues Marcus
--
Be careful of your thoughts, they may become words at any moment.

While I agree with almost everything in the Babylon manual... it's kinda strange that they would "require" you to do a paid (I'm assuming they don't do it for free) evaluation dive with their instructors just so you can freefly with 2+ people on their dropzone. Is that how it works?

Is that how it works?

Unfortunately yes. But please don't forget: There have been 4 fatalities last year, 3 of them because of freefall collisions of unskilled freeflyers. Ampuriabrava is a huge and crowded dropzone.
So I think it's okay to do an evaluation dive dedicated to safety. And who says it's no fun going on a freefly with Babylon ;-)?
Blues Marcus
--
Constant change is here to stay...

That's what I thought. The checkout dive with Babylon would be no problem... if it were free. But REQUIRING people to pay to be able to do freefly jumps is kinda shady. Arizona doesn't do that, and they're HUGE... the Ranch doesn't either, and neither does any other dropzone that I've been to. But, I'm sure that it isn't that big a deal, and I'd probably do it if I went there and not complain about it. But it would suck if it was a really busy day, and you couldn't freefly because Babylon was busy with students and stuff... wouldn't it?

But it would suck if it was a really busy day, and you couldn't freefly because Babylon was busy with students and stuff...

That would really suck!! I hope time will tell and teach how to deal with that...
Blues Marcus
--
Constant change is here to stay...

Audibles are good things. Free Flying takes a lot of concentration in the early times and you "Internal Dytter" is still on RW time. People going low on FF jumps is not uncommon at all. That being said....I NEVER RELY ON MY AUDIBLE. Never.....it's just there to remind me in case I get stupid. It runs on batteries. Use your eyes and a good wrist or chest mount. Checking your alti should be one of the first skills you learn when free flying.
Required check out dive....screw that!!! With all the fatalities there it's hard to blame the DZ for doing it though.....something had to be done.
"I only have a C license, so I don't know shit..right?"-Clay

I'm not to sure how many of you have actually jumped at Empuria or any other DZ in Spain, but if you have you'll agree that the check out dive is a good thing. I'm not sure what the Std. is in some countries but they jumpers flock to Empuria and when you get into the air with some of the people they worse than dangerous .
But it should still be the responsibility of a jumper to asess his limitations and skills as well as the the people with whom he plans to jump with.

always know the experience levels of the people you jump with and know when not to go on dive you do not feel safe with
your friends might pressure you on to jump with 20 jump wonder on his first head down think about safety!!!!
when in doubt back out
dont let your mind wander.....its to little to be left alone......