Hazarrd

Have you ever used your hook knife?

This may be a stupid question, but like many of you said, I've never really had hook knifes explained to me.

so, in what situations would a hook knife be useful?

I know: CREW stuff, a lineover on a reserve, but I can't think of anything else you could use it for... plz help this newbie out

I suppose, you can use it to cut stuff that's stuck to other stuff you really really don't want it to be stuck to :P

There's a post mentioned higher up from a cameraman who got his part of his suit stuck to his helmet, for instance... Weird shit happens...

ciel bleu,
Saskia

I think a lineover on your reserve is enough reason to carry one!!! Seriously, its only weighs next to nothing, have it there just in case...

---------------------------------------------
let my inspiration flow,
in token rhyme suggesting rhythm...

As suggested. I'm thinking if you got a knife of any type you should talk to an instructor and come up with some of your own emergency drills etc.
Else, it is just a false sense of security.

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."
Edmund Burke (1729-1797)

Do you mean http://www.safetyknife.com cuz' I'm just gettting an error on the first one...

I have one of these and they are very good. It will be interesting to see what the Benchmade 5 is like though and I'll probably start wearing one of those as my seccond knife.

Your drill should be - if you have a problem with the lines on your main - chop it and get under your reserve.

If you have a problem with the reserve. Look for the line thats causing it and start cutting the problem ones, working from the inner most to the outer most. If you do it the other way round you can quickly end up with a very small reserve.

This might not apply when wearing camera - eg there are issues with cutting away if you have lines hung up on your helmet. I dont so dont ask me.

Hook knives are really necessary or just good to have?

Very few jumpers ever actually have the need to use one. If you start doing canopy relative work, your odds of needing one are higher. But when your life is at stake, it is better to have one and not need it, than to need one and not have it. It's cheap insurance.

I've been carrying one for 25 years, and haven't needed it yet. But I'd feel vulnerable without it on my rig.

In what situations would a hook knife be useful? I know: CREW stuff, a lineover on a reserve, but I can't think of anything else you could use it for...

"Unintentional CReW", like a canopy collision after opening from an RW jump (been there, done that). A line wrapped around your arm (been there, done that). A brake line that is jammed in the riser guide ring (been there, done that). A tension knot in your brake line cascades, pulling the canopy down on one side (been there, done that). A line snagged on your camera helmet. A line wrapped around your neck, choking you unconscious. A line wrapped around a limb, cutting into your flesh, trying to strip it off the bone...

There are numerous ways to get yourself caught in a situation where you might need to cut a line. Never underestimate the power of skydivers to get themselves into unusual situations, or of what can happen with yards of line streaming out from your pack at 120 mph. Scared yet?

I didn't have to use a hook knife on any of my "been there, done that's" which I mentioned above. But if I had not been able to clear those problems in other ways, having another option to save my butt is desirable.

This may be a stupid question, but like many of you said, I've never really had hook knifes explained to me.
so, in what situations would a hook knife be useful?

Well, if you need one, no matter how unlikely this may be, at 1,500ft you may want one for the rest of your life!!

As far as the Benchmade Model 5, it arrived a couple of days ago. It's pretty cool, but mine came with a lanyard and hard case as this is all they stocked. But for me it comes out a little too easy, so would advise anyone who is thinking about getting one to get the nylon pouch version. It may take a second or two longer to get at it, but at least you know it'll be there and not fallen out after a freefall collision/hard opening/bumpy exit etc...

Perhaps if someone has the pouch version they could give their comments, having not seen one in the flesh, I may be blowing it out of my ass!

re benchmade 5
Im having a knife and both types of holder and some scrap webbing sent to me to have a look at. I'll let you all know which pouch I'd use and how good at cutting it is. I also have both a crappy plastic knife and a "safetyknife" - see above for link - so can compare to both.

I need one under canopy a couple of weeks ago. I have carried 2 for as long as I can remember-one on each side-I figure if you need a knife, its quite possible you don't have both hands free. This was the case. I GUARANTEE anyone who needs one but doesn't have one, will be kicking themselves in the ass for not having it. I needed it 100th of 1 percent of all of my jumps. I can say that since they are free with some gear manufactures, its so easy to get one and there is no reason not to have one. -Tony
My O.C.D. has me chasing a dream my A.D.D. won't let me catch.

I have carried 2 for as long as I can remember- one on each side- I figure if you need a knife, its quite possible you don't have both hands free.

That brings up another good point. Make sure you locate your hook knife in a location where it can be reached with either hand. Some people mount them on a leg strap, but if the arm on that side is otherwise busy or disabled, they may not be able to reach across to get it with the other arm. Consider your location carefully.

yup, over here its an A licsence and above requirement. No knife, no jump.

worryingly tho, your not told what to do with it, just expected to have one.

I've seen some folks at my DZ with them, most without. Never during my student progression was the knife addressed but, after my first solo jump (post AFF level 7) was a line over right in the middle, I got to thinking it would be nice to have one in case a reserve ended up the same way. IMHO it would be nice for instructors to give at least a quick blurb on what they're for and how to use them.

Blue skies and happy landings!

If you have a problem with the reserve. Look for the line thats causing it and start cutting the problem ones, working from the inner most to the outer most. If you do it the other way round you can quickly end up with a very small reserve.

Excellent advice; I hadn't thought of that. Thanks for taking the time to post it!

Blue skies and happy landings!

I've actually needed one once. Two static-line students, the jumpmaster, and I were on the Cessna 182. The jumpmaster put the students out and followed the second student on the second pass without disconnecting the bag and static-line-- he just rolled it up and shoved it under the seat.

I followed, and caught the bag with my foot. It tangled around my ankle, and after exit I was hanging upside-down from the plane. Thankfully I only smashed into the plane once before getting free, and my only injury was a nasty friction burn.

That was enough to convince me to always carry a hook knife, because that static-line could have been a seatbelt, or... You just never know when shit's going to happen.