ifell

Music?

ive done it on a 182 day before, the only pain was that it was hard to get the earbuds to stay in when putting the helmet on, but i dont see that being a problem with different earbuds than the ipod ones that are usually loose in my ears. i freefell, heard my audbile clearly and tracked, opened and landed without killing my friends near me. oh and i clearly remember the music during freefall, it was pretty cool. people participate in numerous sports where they are required to be aware while listening to music.
"its just a normal day at the dropzone until its not"

I think music can be helpful in relaxing.
I definitely think it can help me relax; hopefully it doesn't carry any real physical risks? .

Yes, it can help you...die rather quickly and painlessly in a crater.

Re-read the post you responded to.
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

Probably should have a good number of jumps. I have headphones in my camera helmet with an N-3 audio. I find I tune it out during freefall because I'm paying such close attention to tandem. When tehy open and I flip back over I start to be aware of it again and the N-3 interuupts the music to announce the altitude every 1k and for freefall alarms. Under canopy it's nice to have something to listen to. Filming tandems their is usually not much traffic as we are usually on seperate loads and only a few of us camera guys so pretty clear patterns and we see each other in pattern. As a side note (not that I'm superstitious) but I have removed every song on my skydiving playlist after several incidents going to the door listening to things like Dave Matthews' "Grave Digger".

I think music can be helpful in relaxing.
I definitely think it can help me relax; hopefully it doesn't carry any real physical risks? .

Yes, it can help you...die rather quickly and painlessly in a crater.

Re-read the post you responded to.

How about the Neptune 3 where it keeps you altitude aware while keeping your mp3?

I'm pretty sure by now you're experienced enough not to get the constant "what ifs"; but my head is filled with incessant questionings (excessive anxiety) before jumping out.

How about the Neptune 3 where it keeps you altitude aware while keeping your mp3?

As has already been explained, it's a distraction. Yes, it has happened: Listening to the music and not hearing, or not recognizing, the alerts. Listening to the music and not focusing on what is going on around you...in freefall AND under canopy.

Thinking you can handle all that is all well and good...up to the point where you find out the hard way that it didn't work out.

There's a time an place for music. Boarding to landing is neither the time nor the place.

Warning! Personal opinon:
Personally, I think Alti-2 did us all a disservice by introducing this.

but my head is filled with incessant questionings (excessive anxiety) before jumping out.

...and that's a good thing. I hope you continue that line of thought throughout your skydiving career.

You'll go a long way thinking about, and planning for, those "what ifs".

As you gain experience and confidence, that anxiety will fade and become less excessive. Experience comes with jumps and confidence comes with knowing what you are doing...and being able to do it.

Warning! Personal opinon:
Personally, I think Alti-2 did us all a disservice by introducing this.

I had this concern to and spoke with Roger Allen of Alti-2 shortly after the N3a was introduced.

His perspective was that he had observed numerous younger jumpers jumping with headphones and listening to music. He developed the N3a for those people with the idea of providing an audible alarm to jumpers already listening to musics as another device to promote safety. I don't think it was his intention to promote jumping with music, but rather to provide a audible device to those that already were.

Just my view of the situation after talking with Roger. Personally I like my N3 and I can't conceive of a situation where I would jump with headphones. I need what few brain cells I have left to concentrate on the skydive :P
"Where troubles melt like lemon drops, away above the chimney tops, that's where you'll find me" Dorothy

http://tiny.cc/m6tz9

This psychology experiment paper raises some interesting findings related to music tempo and traffic accidents/violations in a driving simulator.

Maybe that would have some similar implications under canopy, especially with regards to swooping.

Here is a brief summary quoted from the paper

The study found that music tempo consistently affected both simulated driving speed and perceived speed estimates: as the tempo of background music increased, so too did simulated driving speed and speed estimate. Further, the tempo of background music consistently affected the frequency of virtual traffc violations: disregarded red traffc-lights, lane crossings, and collisions were most frequent with fast-paced music.

His perspective was that he had observed numerous younger jumpers jumping with headphones and listening to music. He developed the N3a for those people with the idea of providing an audible alarm to jumpers already listening to musics as another device to promote safety.

All well and good...and a noble thought.
Better would have been to hammer the hell out of the bozos who were doing that stupid shit. Not his place, I know...just sayin'

I'm generally opposed to the idea of trying to outwit the idiots. Booth's Law comes into play here.

***I'm generally opposed to the idea of trying to outwit the idiots. Booth's Law comes into play here.

"The safer skydiving gear becomes, the more chances skydivers will take, in order to keep the fatality rate constant."

And they'll just make a better idiot ! :)
"Where troubles melt like lemon drops, away above the chimney tops, that's where you'll find me" Dorothy