dragonauti

Mirage: G3 or G4 ???

I'm looking for a new rig and I like the mirage rig.
And I am a Freeflyer.
My question is now, which rig should I either buy if I go for a new one, the G3 or the new G4?
I haven't seen yet the G4 live. Some voices I heard they are saying, it is quite ugly or not as nice as the G3 from look and shape. Well, I can read the technical differences on the official Mirage Page but what makes the difference realy? Is the new G4 realy better or what?

Thanx a lot for any information!! :)

I have a G4 and absolutley love it. I haven't jumped a G3 so I can't give you an opinion about that. But I think the G4 is sleeker than the G3, it doesn't have all of the bulk in the main tray like the G3 does. it is more spread out. It is sooo comfortable, I recently did a hop and pop for 14k and was so comfortable in the harness, felt bad for the other people on the dive who didn't have rigs that were quite so comfortable because they were complaining the rest of the night.

~La La Gang Member #2~

I have jumped both rigs ( demo before buying my Wings ). I found the g-3 to be a pretty nice rig but not worth the insane amount of money they wanted at the time. With the introduction of the g-4 the price of the g-3 came down somewhat but there are still other rigs that offer more fore less.
I found the g-4 to be extremely uncomfortable,but keep in mind it was not a custom rig. I also found it to be a real pain in the ass to pack and close.The one I jumped hac a split bag which made it extremely hard to put the canopy in.
---------------------------------------------------------
Play stupid games, win stupid prizes!

I found the g-4 to be extremely uncomfortable,but keep in mind it was not a custom rig. I also found it to be a real pain in the ass to pack and close.The one I jumped hac a split bag which made it extremely hard to put the canopy in.

Huh, you didn't accidently switch mirage g4 with some student rig did you? :o

Well i have mirage G4, and tried G3 too. they are both almost equally comfortable once under canopy. The only difference in comfort is when you are waiting for your load with your rig on your back, where g4 is a little more comfortable, because of cut in elastic strap and very soft back side of the rig.

the other difference is the looks, that some find very nice (like me), others ugly as hell. but that are all personal opinions.

another thing is that split bag doesn't make canopy extremly hard to put in the bag. it makes the canopy extremely easy to put in the bag. ask any experienced rigger or packer which is easier to pack split or unsplit bag...
and the D-bag at g4 has 3 closing grommets and is differently shaped bag than g3.

That are all differences that you'll notice at first sight, i think.
"George just lucky i guess!"

I made this same decision last weekend when ordering my second rig. Basically the G4 is cut a little cleaner, has less yoke (so you can lean your head back further) and comes with a few of the G3 options as standard features. You also end up spending $300 more. Basically you're baying $300 for the cleaner cut, it's up to you if you think it's worth it. I ended up order a new G3 - 4 weeks baby!
Wind Tunnel and Skydiving Coach http://www.ariperelman.com

I LOVE my G3!!!!
what I considered when I bought mine was for what I felt I would be getting in addition by buying a G4 was not worth the extra cost.

"Sacrifice is a part of life. It is supposed to be. It's not something you regret . It's something to aspire to." Mitch Albom

Sure a lot of people are trying to convince you that the G3 is better if they didnt have enough money to order the G4.

I like my G4 a lot. Before I ordered my G4 , everyone in Finland said to me its crap. Even the riggers in my DZ. (all though, not many had ever saw them and most of them had G3 them self...)

Anyway I ordered G4 and when I took it to the DZ, no rigger had nothing bad to say about it. (at least they didnt tell it to me) They only had comments like :

Oh.. look at this neat little detail, THIS IS CLEVER....

About packing the G4:

I think its very easy. IMHO thats nothing to worry about !! Very Easy to pack !! The split bag works just great !! Otherwise its pretty much like packing the G3..

About the looks :

I have only seen 2 G4´s in real life and they both are just too fucking nice !

Heres mine:

(the pics are a bit bad, but you get the idea...)

PIC 1

PIC 2