crowbar

Goodbye linear editing...Hello computer editing!!

My old linear station..

Numark editing board
sony mc5 burner
insignia tv/dvd player
av switcher

New Editing station..

Asus Rampage lll Gene LGA 1366 Mirco atx motherboard
Intel Core i7 2.8 GHz Processor
G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB DDR3 1600
Sapphire Vapor-x Radeon HD 5850 1gb 256-bit GDDR5 graphics card
XFX Black Edition xps-850w power supply
Cooler Master Gemini ll CPU Fan
2-Noctua Case Fan
WD Caviar Black 1TB 7200rpm Harddrive
Windows 7 Home 64-bit
Insignia LED tv
Belkin card Reader

That's a neat setup... I like the idea of using a pelican case as a computer case...

I am curious if static/grounding since the polypropylene the cases are made from are good for build up of negative static electricy?

I imagine it could be managed... but thats the firs thing that comes to mind when I see your setup... other then that I think it's kind of cool... B|

Livin' on the Edge... sleeping with my rigger's wife...

Ya i know the 7200rpm arent the best but its Alot cheaper rite now then the ssd out now..just waiting for the prices to drop but i built this for gaming as well and its been running real smooth .. using vegas 10 ive got my edit down to about 3 min and another 2 or 3 min for render and burn.. but i also use 2 burners so i can burn 2 tdm vid in the same time i could burn 1 linear vid

Last season I used a dual computer setup (se photos) in a similar solution as yours. But I didn’t care to cover it up like your nice build.

My system:
2x Zotac mini-ITX GeForce9300 motherboards
2x Intel Quad Q9550 (2.83Ghz)
4x 1GB DDR2 RAM
3x 2.5” Seagate Momentus 7200rpm 320GB SATA HDD
1x DVD-burner (don’t remember the model, but it was fast)
1x 400W power supply
1x Flex Keyboard
1x Bamboo Pen/Touch
1x 17" TFT (1920x1200)

I use Sony Vegas Pro 9.0 and its distributed network rendering capabilities.
A 6 minute tandem vid was rendered to DVD format in about 3 minutes 45 seconds (the source coming from a Sony CX106E in AVCHD format). Burning time using Nero was about 1 minute 15 sec (I didn’t took the time to learn DVD Architect but I will use it this year)
The third HDD is used as common storage (network storage) so both systems can access the same/needed files when rendering.

Edit: Display added

Last season I used a dual computer setup (se photos) in a similar solution as yours. But I didn’t care to cover it up like your nice build.

My system:
2x Zotac mini-ITX GeForce9300 motherboards
2x Intel Quad Q9550 (2.83Ghz)
4x 1GB DDR2 RAM
3x 2.5” Seagate Momentus 7200rpm 320GB SATA HDD
1x DVD-burner (don’t remember the model, but it was fast)
1x 400W power supply
1x Flex Keyboard
1x Bamboo Pen/Touch
1x 17" TFT (1920x1200)

I use Sony Vegas Pro 9.0 and its distributed network rendering capabilities.
A 6 minute tandem vid was rendered to DVD format in about 3 minutes 45 seconds (the source coming from a Sony CX106E in AVCHD format). Burning time using Nero was about 1 minute 15 sec (I didn’t took the time to learn DVD Architect but I will use it this year)
The third HDD is used as common storage (network storage) so both systems can access the same/needed files when rendering.

Edit: Display added

Forgive me for being the most pain in the %$ guy here but I'm trying to learn this stuff. So...shooting in AVCHD but buring on a standard DVD is an HD video that can be played on any dvd player? I dont have to get a blue ray burner to give customers an HD product? And you are back to standard def if you are not using an HD lens correct?

>So...shooting in AVCHD but buring on a standard DVD is an HD video that can
>be played on any dvd player?

You can record HD material on a standard DVD, but it must be played back on a Blu-Ray player that supports that format. It can't be played back on a standard DVD player. It is, however, a good alternative to buying a Blu-Ray burner.

>And you are back to standard def if you are not using an HD lens correct?

You still get HD quality (i.e. resolution, bitrates etc) no matter what lens you use. A crappy lens just makes the resulting video look crappy. HD just lets you see how crappy it really is.

So it's more like "if you are going to use a crappy lens, HD isn't worth the extra time/cost/storage space."

Just as an FYI...distributed rendering in mpg formats doesn't gain you speed. Any other format...yes.

Strange, or did I misunderstood your response?

Rendering the same project using one CPU took just under 6 minutes.
With two CPU’s using distributed network rendering only 3:45. About 40 sec off that time is used for stitching the segments to one single file, in this case 45 segments containing 200 frames each. Since I live in a PAL land Vegas only needs to render 25 frames for one second of video :-)

Just to clarify:
I render from AVCHD to mpeg2.
All the clips on the timeline in Vegas (except for the opening clip/scene 15 sec) are in AVCHD format (*.MTS files), and I render to progressive standard def 16:9 DVD format (Mpeg2 *.mpg files) with Best and High video quality and a constant bit rate of 9.000.000bps (if I don’t remember wrong, could be 8.000.000bps).

(Standard def 16:9 DVD’s in PAL land are 720x576 pixels)

AVCHD does use network rendering, this is so. Sorry...I was assuming SD, which doesn't (in Vegas 8/9) Vegas 10 uses network access for mpeg of any flavor.

Yeah...I know what PAL is :-) Hopefully you're rendering to not higher than 8.5mpbs. Although new DVD players can manage the higher bitrate, many older DVD players and home computers can't manage the higher bitrate.

Goodbye linear editing...Hello computer editing!!

Good bye sense of accomplishment, hello redundancy...

Non linear is great, I just always had a better sense of accomplishment when editing old school film and reel to reel audio with a razor blade.

Even finishing an old school linear video edit was enough to wet your pants...

I wonder why my original post was deleted? I swear, you gotta hate the egotism in this industry...:S

Your secrets are the true reflection of who you really are...