jtnesbitt

Should I Be Upset?

Trying to determine if I should be upset about something.

A friend recently emailed me a link for a YT video he thought looked a lot like one of my video. So it checked it out and come to find out someone took the video I made for the Bridge Day Videofest contest this year (and won), shortened it, removed the audio, and used new music. They then put it up on their youtube profile. No description, no photocred, nothing.

Immediately I was pretty upset. I worked over 40 hours on this video to make it just perfect. Also, if I wanted it on YT I would have put it there myself but I didnt want it there for numerous reasons.

I messaged the guy and told him to take it down. He replied that a mutual friend gave him the video and he was just practicing editing. However the video is still online.

I am mad for several reasons:

1) It wasnt his to put on YT
2) No photocredit was given
3) It wasnt his to remake
4) I wasnt the only videogrpaher, and while I had permission to use others footage for an agreed upon purpose, he did not
5) It makes my work look shitty

This really pisses me off. This is specifically why I made several different versions of the video. Only the people at BD saw the ORIGINAL version. I made several changes before I shared it with other because I was worried this would happen. People bitched and moaned and groaned about those changes too because i took out some of the best stuff. Well here we are today. I guess in the future my videos are going to have to have a giant watermark across the whole screen.

What would you do?
"If this post needs to be moderated I would prefer it to be completly removed and not edited and butchered into a disney movie" - DorkZone Hero

someone took the video I made for the Bridge Day Videofest contest this year (and won), shortened it, removed the audio, and used new music.

Just wondering, but what was the audio track they removed? Natural sound? Royalty free music? Your own personally composed and performed composition?

someone took the video I made for the Bridge Day Videofest contest this year (and won), shortened it, removed the audio, and used new music.

Just wondering, but what was the audio track they removed? Natural sound? Royalty free music? Your own personally composed and performed composition?

There is a good question, but with YouTube, they have so many license agreements that even me, the copyright nazi...use masters on occasion. Youtube will strip the audio if it's illegal, so I'll put stock in there if they do.

But it is kinda funny that skydivers get tweaky about copyrights and video, when they've used copyrighted music in their DVD replications.

You both raise a good point. The video originally had copy written music in it. This was one of the reasons I didnt want it on YouTube. I made the video for the contest and for my friends. I had zero intentions of putting it on Youtube or selling it or anything like that. In other words, i had zero intentions of redistributing it.
"If this post needs to be moderated I would prefer it to be completly removed and not edited and butchered into a disney movie" - DorkZone Hero

YouTube actually handles the music-copyright (and removed the soundtrack if its not an artist who has a deal with them).

That aside...just use the copyright notice form, Ive had to remove about 20 copies of the PF videos I edited a few weeks back. Works like a charm...
JC
FlyLikeBrick
I'm an Athlete?

No no no. After several talks with him today I have realized it was juts a mistake. He's young and enthusiastic and didnt really think about the situation. It has since been removed in good faith.

The reason i posted was to get others opinions and insight. I didnt know if I was maybe over reacting.

So did you contact Jason Bell or donk about his winnings of your stolen video?

I am sorry it's been a long day and I dont quite understand what you are asking?

How did he get a hold of your video to begin with?

A mutual friend who was also in the video gave it to him.

I just ran into a similar thing. I find edited stuff of mine online here and there, but as long as they leave all the credits on, I don't care about that. But just now I found an edited video on YT with my swooping event footage mixed in. They never asked, and no credits or anything. They did add a bit of sarcastic commentary.

I gave that footage to some swoopers I know during the event, for learning purposes. They decided to do their own event video using it.

Last time I give those particular jumpers any footage anymore.

>:(

I've always given footage like that away freely, never saw the need to watermark it like some. But, watermarking seems like a decent idea now B|

ciel bleu,
Saskia

Last time I give those particular jumpers any footage anymore.

I've always given footage like that away freely, never saw the need to watermark it like some. But, watermarking seems like a decent idea now

I did the same, and since I was always very reluctant especially regarding Stills on Facebook, I expressed that concern more than once in the last 2-3 years... And I got flamed for that.
End of season last year, 3 of my edits ended up on facebook within hours, all without any credits at all. At least two of them were uploaded by somebody I spoke about my concerns before.

I think there are a number of people who don`t care, don`t know, or generally do not respect someone having a different mindset... :-(

Very bad, but this is part of the problem, that you see every second f*** 35jump AFF-Graduate with a gopro...

alex

--
www.tandemmaster.net
www.skydivegear.de

Very bad, but this is part of the problem, that you see every second f*** 35jump AFF-Graduate with a gopro...

to add to your comment;:)
Yesterday, we had a hnp. DZO is on board and sees the kid has a student rig and a GoPro on his helmet. DZO says "Does your rig have problems?" The dude replies "I don't have a rig yet."
Before the DZO (or I) comprehend what's going on, he's out the door.
He had 21 jumps, and sneaked a GoPro on the plane, even with the DZ policies having been in print.

.... I think, if we all collect our stories, we could make a bestseller of it ;)

Funny example:
I opened a gearstore last year and so I had had some guys on the phone with typical beginner questions, which I honestly answer as best as I could! I see this as a way to differ myself from others....

The best one was someone with total 20 jumps, no license jet, but in the market for helmet, digital alti, audible and more and equipped with a lot of money:
You guess it, not only the best would be good enough! And of course not used, even his instructors pointed him to the cheapo way and told him to slow down....
Best of all, he wanted to buy a bh-revolve and a matching mount for his Sony TX5 (no joke!) on the side... :-)

I don`t know him personally, and will never see what he ended up with - I would love to see his first jump with tx5 mounted on the left side!!!

I think nearly all of the thoughts more experienced people have put into the topic of teaching were totally wrong. They were right in its sense, but not in the way we brought all that to others.
That is something not related to a specific activity (e.g. skydiving) but also the way the human brain developed in the past.... If you consider this, all makes sense :-(

Sometimes that makes me sad!

alex

--
www.tandemmaster.net
www.skydivegear.de

***Yesterday, we had a hnp. DZO is on board and sees the kid has a student rig and a GoPro on his helmet. DZO says "Does your rig have problems?" The dude replies "I don't have a rig yet."
Before the DZO (or I) comprehend what's going on, he's out the door.
He had 21 jumps, and sneaked a GoPro on the plane, even with the DZ policies having been in print.

Please forgive me for keeping this thread derailled but...WOW, so instead of saving his money to buy a rig, he goes and buys a gopro and then proceeds to sneak it on the plane.:S

Did the DZO talk to/ disipline him once everyone was back on the ground??

Blue Skies,
Jason

edit for spelling.. :$