gilead1

looking for the lightest decent stills camera

Depends on the quality you want.

The CX100 will take so-so pictures through the lens during video capture; the Hypeye will let you use a shutter release with it. The GoPro will shoot stills continuously with slightly better results.

Point and shoot cameras are the next step up. Most point and shoots can be modified for remote shutter release via some soldering. I used a DSC-V1 for a while with good results.

The Canon G10 is a good high end point and shoot. It's light and doesn't need a separate wide angle lens (which saves weight) - they run around $500 nowadays.

A few pretty nice pictures taken with ricoh compacts have been posted on this forum. They weigh about 200grams and according to the ones jumping them, the quality works for tandem, at least in good light conditions. They're pretty fast, have a 24 mm wide angle and you can mod the cable switch to work with a mouthswitch. Try search ricoh.

I'm not jumping stills.

/Jonathan

Considering G10 is ageing and G11 is out, is G10 still the best choice?

Personally I dont know much about the differences between the G10 and G11. What phree said could be true..

My point was that a compact such as the g10 is the best choice. Not necessarily exactly that model.

If you truly want some High IQ with low weight, you need to look at some other things like the leica X1 (286grams) or the Leica m9 (585grams)

But these cameras go far beyond what is reasonable for shooting tandems..

A G10 will do just perfect.

Yes, the G11 packed too many pixels in the same size sensor and increased the noise on the images a lot more then the G10 had at even medium ISO's.

It is not quite true. Theoretically G11 is better camera than G10 because of smaller pixel density (23 vs 34 MP/cm²) , quicker continuous drive (1.1 vs 0.7 fps ) and HDMI output too. You can compare the cameras specifications there http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/compare_post.asp?method=sidebyside&cameras=canon_g10%2Ccanon_g11&show=all. I suppose G11 is best camera in the class.

>It is not quite true. Theoretically G11 is better camera than G10 because
> of smaller pixel density (23 vs 34 MP/cm²) . . . .

That's what he said. The pixels are smaller (generally means noisier) and the sensor has more resolution than the lens does, so increasing sensor resolution doesn't really buy you anything. You basically get a larger file representing the same quality image (ignoring the noise issue.)

Now you really got me confused... Here are relevant stats from the two cameras:

G10:
Max resolution: 4416 x 3312
Effective pixels: 14.7 million
Pixel density: 34 MP/cm²
Continuous Drive: 0.7 fp

G11:
Max resolution: 3648 x 2736
Effective pixels: 10.0 million
Pixel density: 23 MP/cm²
Continuous Drive: 1.1 fps

So.... G11 compared to G10 has less effective pixels, lower resolution of the sensor, lower pixel density and faster continuous drive.

To me that spells less noise, better image (because it's not limited by glass, but by sensor) and more shots per second. And G11 is a little tiny bit lighter.
I understand the need for conformity. Without a concise set of rules to follow we would probably all have to resort to common sense. -David Thorne

I'm definitely not a stillcamera expert but it looks like people are talking about different cameras here.

According to test's I've read but cannot confirm the G11 has far less problems with noise and artefacts than the G10.

Maybe they named them different in Europe and US?

So.... G11 compared to G10 has less effective pixels, lower resolution of the sensor, lower pixel density and faster continuous drive.

To me that spells less noise, better image (because it's not limited by glass, but by sensor) and more shots per second. And G11 is a little tiny bit lighter.

You are absolutely right .

Pre-IFA 2009: Canon has announced a handful of compact cameras including models aimed squarely at keen photographers. Top of the line is the PowerShot G11, successor to its flagship PowerShot G10 compact released last year. The G11 replaces the G10's 14.7MP sensor with what it describes as a high sensitivity 10 MP CCD though it still uses the same 28-140mm equivalent stabilized lens. The camera also gains a tilt and swivel LCD, though the size drops to 2.8 inches. Flash sync speed increases to 1/2000th of a second and HDMI output is also added. Other features include Dual Anti-Noise System (more sensitive sensor and Digic 4 offering a claimed 2-stop improvement over the G10), RAW shooting and P/A/S/M shooting modes.

Considering G10 is ageing and G11 is out, is G10 still the best choice?

Personally I dont know much about the differences between the G10 and G11. What phree said could be true..

My point was that a compact such as the g10 is the best choice. Not necessarily exactly that model.

If you truly want some High IQ with low weight, you need to look at some other things like the leica X1 (286grams) or the Leica m9 (585grams)

But these cameras go far beyond what is reasonable for shooting tandems..

I can't tell, can you plug a remote shutter switch into these?
Onward and Upward!

Do you mind explaining how all the new changes that are on the G11 makes it better than the G10.

I'm not arguing I'm just trying to learn. I'm about to get one of them but I don't know much about them.

I don't quite understand all the jargon or complexities yet.

Thanks for your help.
Be the canopy pilot you want that other guy to be.

This may sound strange but main advantage G11 over G10 is reduced number of pixels. 14.7MP is to much for such small sensor and for the lens too. More pixels in the same square means more noise, more noise (even in low ISO) means less sharp images. I think 14.7MP in G10 is marketing trick. Both cameras can capture very close number of details in low ISO but in higher ISO G11 is a winner. Personally i think G11 can capture wider range of colors and bright/black tones.

G10 and G11 are grate cameras the difference is only minor. G11 is a little bit faster. HDMI output can be useful too if you plan to present the images to client on HD TV display.