Hazarrd

Sabre 2 vs. Spectre ??

I am just getting into skydiving and looking for main canopies right now. I am right now primarily interested in getting a Spectre or Sabre 2 170. From what I have heard, both of the canopies sound pretty much the same. Can someone elaborate on the major differences I will find in each one and any suggestions for choosing one over the other? I am loading 1:1 and under and don't plan to do anything radical with the canopy for now, just open and land it. Thanks.

.-.

I am just getting into skydiving and looking for main canopies right now. I am right now primarily interested in getting a Spectre or Sabre 2 170. From what I have heard, both of the canopies sound pretty much the same. Can someone elaborate on the major differences I will find in each one and any suggestions for choosing one over the other? I am loading 1:1 and under and don't plan to do anything radical with the canopy for now, just open and land it. Thanks.

Please don't take this as a flame, but also please read the forum rules (there is a link at the top of this page); there aren't that many, but one of them is to search a subject before asking a question like this.

I just did a quick search using your thread topic as the search item and came up with 296 posts just in this forum.

If you read all these and still have questions, please come back to this thread and ask them; you will have a better idea of the subject and will be able to ask more specific and targeted questions. We will all win that way.

Welcome to the sport and to the forums; may your sojourn in both be long and pleasant.

Faster horses, younger women, older whiskey, more money.

Why do they call it "Tourist Season" if we can't shoot them?

ok about the only thing thats simliar with these canopies is that theyre made by the same manufacturer! I recomend going to the "gear" section of this website and read the reviews of both. And then go to PD's website, and read all you can. And then ask PD questions. And then Demo the canopies. By then you'll probably be ready to make a good decision on which canopy is right for you!

cheers :)

---------------------------------------------
let my inspiration flow,
in token rhyme suggesting rhythm...

My monkey brother Jack just made a very valid point. That said, when I went looking for a canopy more manageable than my Velocity 79 for all my BirdMan flights, I chose the Sabre 2. Both open very straight and smooth, but the Sabre 2 will give you a bit longer swoop if that is what you are after.

Chuck Blue
A performance designs factory pilot who jumps pretty much every canopy in the PD inventory on a regular basis.

I've just moved from a Spectre 135 (and a 150 before that) to a Sabre2 120. The Sabre2 flys and lands beautifully, the flare is much better than the Spectre.
I've only put 20 odd jumps on the Sabre2 but I would say it's much more sensitive to body position on opening and also more sensitive to packing. I've had some beautiful openings on it but I've had some pretty bad ones too - at the moment it's proving much less consitant than my Spectres.

Gus
OutpatientsOnline.com

A spectre is more docile than a sabre2. I have nearly 500 jumps on a spectre. I'm going to demo a sabre2 soon. For a person of your experience level I'd definitely recommend a spectre over a sabre2. You need forgiveness much more than you need performance. Go to the performance designs web site and download the flight characteristics documents for each of the canopies. What PD says is vastly more valid than what most posters tell you (except me of course).

Of course check with your instructors, etc. A person is far better off taking the conservative approach than being 1% too aggressive.

-- Jeff
My Skydiving History

leaving the specs and design differences aside (as mentioned, you can look them up easily)

both are good, suitable for beginners and will also give you a good resale value.
i started with my sabre2 very carefully, and it gave me easy soft landings.
but as mentioned before, you can also have more fun with it, when you know what you're doing...

i was considering both, went with the sabre 2, and i dont regret it B|

O
"Carpe diem, quam minimum credula postero."

They are different canopies completely - the Spectre is a 7 cell, the Sabre2 is a 9 cell. Which is the right one for you depends on how you like to land. If you like the more swoopy landing you'll probably like the Sabre2 better; nine cells are much easier to get surf out of than are seven cells (although seven cells can be swooped too).

I love my Spectre. It does everything I want my parachute to do - opens slow, lands easy, fun to fly and especially at the wingloading you're looking at very stable.

As was said before, jump both before buying. You're the only one who can decide which is right for you, and the only way to do that is to jump both of them. Call Kolla at PD and ask her about getting demo canopies sent to you.

And also as was said before, do a search on these forums, check out the gear section of this website, and read manufacturer websites. There's loads of info out there about the Spectre, Sabre2 and a lot of other good canopies.