EXTremeWade

Hold camera in hand (was-Rebel Xt)

For real man..I just roll video, and use a point-and-shoot in mid air, and when the jump is over, I switch hands and pull with my right, while holding on to the camera in my left. Never dropped one camera that way, and the pics are awesome. I use the "auto" stabilize feature and it doesnt show "shutter shake" or anything. I paid 89.99 for that camera, and I have about 200 tandems taken that way!!

For real man..I just roll video, and use a point-and-shoot in mid air, and when the jump is over, I switch hands and pull with my right, while holding on to the camera in my left. Never dropped one camera that way, and the pics are awesome. I use the "auto" stabilize feature and it doesnt show "shutter shake" or anything. I paid 89.99 for that camera, and I have about 200 tandems taken that way!!

What would you do if you had a mal and only one hand?
Never give the gates up and always trust your rears!

If I have a mal, I use the right hand for both handles. Reaching over for the left is not a big deal for me. I am very flexible.

As far as the fatality waiting to happen, The camera is easy to grasp, and its all under control.

One of the most badass camera fliers (Jussi Laine) flies that way.. he holds the camera. I never met the man, but I've heard of him and seen his work, and he's been doing it for years..

If you can make it work for you, by all means go for it.. just really figure out your emergency procedures and be safe!

Your own risk might only be loosing a camera (worst case) but unless that camera is somehow tied/connected to your arm/rig, you are potentialy wrecking someones car-window or skull if the thing ever drops...

From what I've heard jussi to connect the camera to his person so it doesn't become a projectile. But I don't know exactly how it is set up. Others might.

I wouldn't jump with my camera like that unless it was connected to me in some manner.

Scott
Livin' on the Edge... sleeping with my rigger's wife...

From what I've heard jussi to connect the camera to his person so it doesn't become a projectile. But I don't know exactly how it is set up. Others might.

Jussi has the camera connected on his wrist in freefall. He changes it to a carabiner in his chest strap under canopy.

Hes been jumping with a lot of different objects in his hand. Its quite normal to see him freeflying with a 2 meter tall carbon fibre rod in his hand and on the end he has a canon 5D for example :D

I think he was propably the 1st one in the world to land with a bicycle back in the early 90´s..

...edited to add that Jussi actually aims thru the viewfinder in freefall. I havent seen anyone else doing that..

Jussi has the camera connected on his wrist in freefall. He changes it to a carabiner in his chest strap under canopy.

Hes been jumping with a lot of different objects in his hand. Its quite normal to see him freeflying with a 2 meter tall carbon fibre rod in his hand and on the end he has a canon 5D for example :D

I think he was propably the 1st one in the world to land with a bicycle back in the early 90´s..

...edited to add that Jussi actually aims thru the viewfinder in freefall. I havent seen anyone else doing that..
I would love to see his setup... I have seen a few of his pictures which are awesome to say the least...

If I had a setup like that I would certainly aim through the viewfinder and not just shoot blindly... I might consider doing something like that with another 1000-2000 jumps under my belt... :$
Livin' on the Edge... sleeping with my rigger's wife...

I've done two ways where we passed a disp. 35 mm back and forth like a batton pass. and I know i did look thru the viewfinder in f/f. I exited with it took a few snaps and you had to manually advance the film. passed it to him he took a few of me. and passed it back. it worked well.
i have on occasion been accused of pulling low . My response. Naw I wasn't low I'm just such a big guy I look closer than I really am .