sbhesq

Any other DZ's want copies of all tandem vids?

Our DZO just asked for us to figure a way for the DZ to keep a copy of all of the tandem vids we shoot so that if the customer ever loses the video and wants another copy the dz can provide it even if the videographer is not there anymore.

Looking for opinions about this policy. Also, if it is common, how are others doing this?

Thanks,

Steve

What are you using as your editing suite? If you are doing it on computer already it is really easy to do, if you are not on a computer yet then it is a lot harder. If you are on the computer just save the mpg at the end of the editing to a removable drive (copy it to 2 seperate drives to ensure back up in the case of 1 crashing) and you are good to go. If you are using an editing board it might be a good time to look at steping up to a Non-Linear editing package to get you this and other things.

You should be backing up any photos the same way too. ;)

Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

We require the MPEGs/AC3 from all delivered DVDs to be kept. Costs us about 400.00 per year (anyone see the 1TB drives have dropped to 200.00?)
We've been using 3 500GB drives a year for photos and video. Easy to archive by Month/Day/Student name.
If you're an analog DZ...ouch. Twice the work. It's enough to make anyone move to digital, IMO.
BTW, using this method, you can add revenue to your DZ/yourself by offering to put it on YouTube for 10.00 or so...

We use linear editing, but our DZO requires us to keep original footage for one year in case a customer wants/needs a copy. (One advantage we have is we have only long-time video flyers.) Personally I keep all (ALL) original footage of everything I shoot...ever (I'm OCD that way). I had only one tandem customer request a copy from last year, and none the two years before or this year.

Obviously it's your DZO's gig, and he/she calls the shots. But for the limited requests we get, it really isn't a big deal to re-edit in the rare case someone wants/needs a new disc. IMHO, way less of a big deal than keeping and maintaining hard drive copies of finished edits.

Yep I got every tape I have ever shot in the last 20 years, all jump and non jumping footage in a catalog, I have had a number of people call up over the years asking for reedits, had one last year from 5 years ago.
you can't pay for kids schoolin' with love of skydiving! ~ Airtwardo

If you are using a dvd recorder get one with a harddrive and save to that then burn the customer dvd. For a pc, it's easier.

Then again, we have no such requirements, I keep my videos around for a week or two in case of dud dvds and after that I can make a new dvd from tape if I have to. Not everyone saves their footage here though, for instance one has a cx6 he just formats the card when full [:/]

ciel bleu,
Saskia

Yes - standard practice at our DZ and we tell each punter we have the tape on file for 12 months. All of the camera team store in this fashion.

Any requests for another DVD usually come in the first week after the jump because 'the DVD just broke'!!! Translated, this means that the punter tried to pull the DVD out of its box without pressing the button in the centre!!!>:(

We don't charge for the service. I have never had a second request from the same punter but if I did then I WOULD charge!!!

RedKite

Yep I got every tape I have ever shot in the last 20 years, all jump and non jumping footage in a catalog, I have had a number of people call up over the years asking for reedits, had one last year from 5 years ago.

I'm the same, well except that i don't have 20 years worth of tapes, maybe four at the most, LOL. As soon as i unwrap one i dater the box insert and when the tape is finished i date it again, that way if anyone calls and asks for another copy of their vid i can ask what date they jumped and their name and it generally doesn't take too long to find the right vid.

Advertisio Rodriguez / Sky

Not personal experience, but a friend said there is only one manufacturer left making hard drive dvd recorders. Go non linear..I just did and although Ive had some learning pains I feel its worth it especially considering tape based is on the way out. Ive gone exclusively with cx12's and memstick recording. Also easier to train people to edit.

I use two DVD recorders at once. I give one disc to the customer (normally a +RW so I don't spend time to finalize it) and keep recording to the other one while it's full. The back up copy has the dates on it (what day I started and what day a finished it).
I can put about 20 videos (in SP mode) onto a 20cents +R disc.
One of my DVD recorder was $100 the other $50 at Walmart.