arai

tonfly convertor -recreational camera helmet.

I've done a search and only managed to find one post about it so I though I'd ask in the photography forum.

Are there any reviews on the tonfly convertor option for its fuego pro line of helmet? It seems to add a decent amount to the price, but the concept is interesting. If anyone has used this system I'd be very interested in hearing what you thought of it

I'm looking at getting a camera helmet, not for any paid work (filming tandems etc) but just for recreational use, and something to watch on the lcd when its raining outside)

I'm planning on jumping a smaller hd type cam (hc5, maybe cx7) but I also own a rebel xti that I can envision using just for occasional jumps. Is it a problem to be removing/changing camera's, or is the convertor just making it more convieniant?

It looks like while the system is built into the helmet itself, the camera side of the attachment could be put into any box or onto a camera with a little modification, is this correct?

the fuego/blackbox/optik type of helmets look like they would work nice for the type of camera use I'd be looking at (having not owned camera helmets I'm basing this on reading the photography forums and trying to do searches on my requirements, but if anyone has further advise I'd welcome it)

with the new smaller memory stick type hd cams coming out I can see the possibility in the future of sidemounting something like a cx7 or the new samsung hvx-20c (if it turns out to be skydive friendly) and putting the rebel xti on the top.

thanks

Dan

Yes, there is a gap. And a line can easily get caught in it. However, it's less of a gap than most camera helmets out there.
My Converter arrived today, and I'll spend the weekend getting it set up. I'm very excited to play with this.
On initial opening of the box and inspection, these are very well-built helmets, and the converter system is fairly ingenious. Very much like a discrete panoramic mount in some ways.

Initial response on the helmet bought sight-unseen...very impressed at dollar for value

Hello

The Convertor from Tonfly is based on the X-Shut which has been around a lot longer than the Convertor has. It has an established track record. The X-shut is also smaller less damage to the helmet. Take a look www.x-shut.com

I have a Tonfly Feugo Pro which is a great helmet workmanship is great.

so how did the weekend go with the convertor? did the connector plates look like they wouldnt have any play in them, and does it look like it would be easy to attach any 3rd party box to those plates? It looks like they are having a price increase starting feb 1st so I'm thinking of getting my order in before that to save a few bucks.

any pics of your new setup?

thanks

Mine came, but didn't include another ring for mounting as I thought was coming.
There is no play in the ring, none whatsoever. And I can't see how there would be any.
In the side mount, there are 3 drilled positions in the male part of the mount, making it easy to select the angle at which you want to shoot. Mounting a still to the top of the Converter is very easy, if they'd have sent another male plate. Helmet is lightweight, but feels very good. Lining isn't quite as good as what Bonehead or Skysystems offer IMO, but it's very nice, nonetheless. Given that Tonfly will drill/mount/install a ringsight for free right now, it's a nice deal.
I got my Converter as a wingsuit helmet.

There is a small ramp to deflect it. It's not possible for a line to get caught in there at all. it's seamlessly mated to the helmet. I've run lines over it from a few angles. They also have a trough for the excess ladder to go into the chincup, too. They've thought all this out fairly well. If you put a still cam on there, of course there will be a small gap, due to the varying width of the camera body and the helmet, but your head would need to be turned 90 degrees for that to matter.

Getting back to the original question: Would you recommend that helmet for recreational or beginner camera flyers? Or is the quick release system just useful if you're doing tandem vids all day?

I really like that system but it's quite an investment..

about the x-shut: If I buy any helmet and mail it to the x-shut manufacturer to have them insert one or two x-shuts into my helmet, that's not only gonna take a few weeks but likely double the price for my helmet.. that correct?

"He tried to kill me! He tried to f***ing kill me!"

Getting back to the original question: Would you recommend that helmet for recreational or beginner camera flyers? Or is the quick release system just useful if you're doing tandem vids all day?

Helmet entanglements are not limited to tandem camera flyers. IMO, a cutaway is imperative for anyone flying a camera.

Helmet entanglements are not limited to tandem camera flyers. IMO, a cutaway is imperative for anyone flying a camera.

no doubt about that.

With "quick release", I was referring to the zkulls (TM) system - the thing that allows you to remove the camera box/base plate.

"He tried to kill me! He tried to f***ing kill me!"

Gotcha. I misunderstood earlier.
The nice thing about the Tonfly system (and apparently the German system too) is that you can pitch the camera at different angles for tandem or freefly, and it's flush when you remove the camera. You could *easily* build your own system to do this, if you're into DIY stuff. It's just a pivoted centerpoint with a secondary lock. Making it perfectly flush might be a bit of a challenge, however.