Mozencrath

Sony 0.6x Lens ?

My old sony .6 was slightly wider or the same angle as my current hama .45 yeah. However the sony I had (black plastic housing) was a crappy lens for jumping: it soon got moisture between the lens elements. Heard that from more people, so I'd avoid that particular lens.

ciel bleu,
Saskia

Sony do at least two different 0.6 lenses (in fact I've seen probably at least half a dozen different model numbers so probably a load more including old models).

Mine has a crome coloured metal body and is absolutely fantastic. I can easily see the difference between my footage and my friends footage shot on identical cameras on the same dive - mine with the Sony lens and theirs with some crappy non-brand.

The 0.6 I have from Sony is phenominal. It cost me about £20 from e-bay and IMO is easily the best quality lens in that price bracket. Its the Sony VCL-0630 S.

A quick search on e-bay shows this one: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Sony-VCL-0630-S-Wide-Conversion-Lens-X-0-6_W0QQitemZ150159189048QQihZ005QQcategoryZ29964QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

It's in the UK but it gives you a picture of it at least.

I guess if Dragon has heard bad things about the plastic housing make sure you only consider the metal housing one. I've heard nothing but songs of praise for the Sony lens... guess they must have all been talking about the metal one. I would heatily recommend it.

And yes, it matches up to maybe a 0.45 from most other manufacturers.

where can I find the sony .6x lens...

all I can find at b&h is

http://www.live.sonyus.webcollage.net/server/bhphotovideo/sonyus-product-full-content-page/standalone?channel-product-id=381539&wcpc=VCLHG0730X

but its the high grade .7x ..................

right now I have a pc1000 and not going jump it until next summer... but want to use it this winter out on the snowmobile.....

so I was thinking a .5 would work good for that .....

any opinions what would be a good starter lens

==============================
Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting - "fcuk me what a ride!"

Black plastic one: http://www.google.com/products?q=sony+vcl-0637H&btnG=Search&hl=en&show=dd (top one pictured).

Metal grey one:

http://www.google.com/products?q=sony+vcl-0630X&btnG=Search&hl=en&show=dd 2nd one pictured.

Of course you also need to make sure you get the correct thread size. I believe the PC1000 has a 30mm, which is a bit nonstandard for sony. Most sony's have 37mm.

_Am
__

You put the fun in "funnel" - craichead.

thanks Andy....

unfortunately they are all plastic.....

found the metal one on sony.ca site for like $66

===============
Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting - "fcuk me what a ride!"

thanks Andy....

unfortunately they are all plastic.....

found the metal one on sony.ca site for like $66

===============

Ebay has several (metal) 25mm .6 Sony lenses, and if the one is correct, a 30mm one as well.

See: http://search.ebay.com/search/search.dll?from=R40&_trksid=m37&satitle=sony+.6+lens&category0=

ltdiver

Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon

thanks Itdiver..........

unfortunately they are aslo all plastic....

I'll keep looking for now......

thanks everyone

========================

thanks Itdiver..........

unfortunately they are aslo all plastic....

I'll keep looking for now......

thanks everyone

========================

THESE are the ones that I've jumped with for many years. They've served me well, and if I'm not mistaken, the ones others are referring to as working without fail, as well. :)
ltdiver

Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon

I also have the Sony VCL-0630 lens and love the quality of the image! The only downfall is the physical size of the lens...
2K Composites Dealer
TonySuits Dealer
Larsen & Brusgaard Dealer
CSPA C, Coach 1, Rigger A, Instructor A, Tandem Videographer / Photographer, EJR