DSE

Flying with wings...Do you jump:

When filming what? Your poll doesn't seem to take that into account. I can be found filming in several different suits, or lack of depending on what I'm shooting.

For Example.

4 way, super light tandems, bigway RW from above and on level - camera suit w/ booties.

Tandems, bigway RW from below, - camera jacket w/shorts or freefly pants.

Freefly, carving on RW, tracking, flocking - freefly suit

CRW - shorts & t-shirt, to pants and a longsleve.

It's about the right tool for the job and knowing when and how to use said tools.
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

I agree with JP, it depends on what Im shooting; RW or tandems, I wear wings, Im 230 lbs, so the wings give me some range . If Im shooting freeflying, I find that my camera suit slows me down too much so I'll go with the baggy jump suit and that usually does the trick.

Good point, my apologies. I posted the poll based on my own small world and didn't consider the bigger picture.
4-ways, 8-ways, student jumps and tandems are all I have the opportunity to shoot.
I'm not ready for CRW

I have a Merlin freefly camera suit, small wings. They allow me to fly in pretty much any position. For the 200lb or bigger passengers I go with no wings, just a plain freefly suit.
.......I hereby reject your reality and instead choose to insert my own!

For wingsuit footage, a wingsuit ;)
But for tandems and FS: BM tracking pants (good weight pockets above knees for tandem filming), Windstopper fleece jacket with rubber bands running inside from hip rings to thumb for tiny wings (if needed).

"Fear is the path to the Dark side"
(Master Yoda)

I used to have a lot of different camera suit choices for different types of jumps but in the past several years it is all pretty much working jumps but more importantly I found a versatile suit I can utilize for a lot of different action. So if I am not instructing in an RW suit then I am in a Firefly Camera Suits, it is basically their free fly suit with wings and I use that for tandems, small students, shooting RW, Hybrids and when I free-fly with tiny people. It is pretty much all I need. I love the brass RSL attachments to my leg hardware so I know it is secure, it gives me the ability to fly with 100 lb solo students comfortable and confident, not worrying about what’s on my skin…
The Firefly Camera suit is the best quality and designed camera suit I have ever used.

http://www.fireflysuits.com/designs/pdfs/camerafreefly03.pdf
Mykel AFF-I10
Skydiving Priorities: 1) Open Canopy. 2) Land Safely. 3) Don’t hurt anyone. 4) Repeat…

I wear a camera suit with large wings...
Bev suit... front clips for the wings,
swoop cords which i wear across my palms and not on my thumbs...My altimeter goes on the left hand first, and then the swoop cords, so that I can easily shed the cords after deployment. I also usually unclip the wings, just after releasing my brakes and stowing my slider...That suit has booties...:)
Back in the 70's before ever thinking about cameras I had a Brand X jumpsuit. it was called a 'swing wing'... the clips were set up so they could be connected near the thighs for larger wings, or clipped directly TO each other behind the back...for smaller wings...
The hips had slots, which allowed for the legstraps to be worn Inside the suit... Most legstraps then had quick release connectors and so you'd thread the legstrap through the slot on the hips, do up the connector, tighten the harness, and then zip up the jumpsuit...
I fall fast and during the wingwars HAD to go large to stay with people,, since even the floaty types were wearing lots of drag...

I wish I still had that suit,,, but I sold it to a friend and then lost track of it... too bad.. it was cute.. baggy legs, cool stripes on the legs and arms.... Might have been before grippers too...
anyway.. I still usually wear my BEV suit,,, even if i'm not jumping cameras, again to stay with the lightweights..or to fly late on a bigway...
People often bust my chops about it,,, and lots of them ask" Jimmy????? you gonna be OK with those wings??"..hahahahaha

If I'm in the base, however and we're trying to go FAST,,, as any good base SHOULD;);) then my choice is my Tony RW suit...........grippers, no booties....."get that Base falling".....

j t

Brand X

Brand X was an awesome 70's progressive jazz band from the UK, anybody remember them?

Phil Collins was in that band, before he opened his piehole!
What a great drummer! To bad he ruined it by trying so sing...
Mykel AFF-I10
Skydiving Priorities: 1) Open Canopy. 2) Land Safely. 3) Don’t hurt anyone. 4) Repeat…

I have a camera jacket with medium sized wings that i wear for tandems and filming 4 and 8 way. Now that it's summer though i have a pair of man-pris that i wear all the time and this winter i jumped in jeans.

Advertisio Rodriguez / Sky

I wear a Bev Suit /booties with the large wing. I put my rig on top of the wings to choke them down to a medium wing. On the occasions I have to film a small tandem or AFF I unclip the wing and bring it over the leg straps to utilize the whole wing.

Danger

I put my rig on top of the wings to choke them down to a medium wing. On the occasions I have to film a small tandem or AFF I unclip the wing and bring it over the leg straps to utilize the whole wing.

That is really interesting, I have never seen anyone do this...
Mykel AFF-I10

Whatever I need to do the job I was hired to do.
Sometimes feel like Paris Hilton (or equivalent) on the DZ, in that I will have to change my clothes several times a day...

You have dry semen in your hair?
Mykel AFF-I10

Whatever I need to do the job I was hired to do.
Sometimes feel like Paris Hilton (or equivalent) on the DZ, in that I will have to change my clothes several times a day...

You have dry semen in your hair?

LOL

But to keep this on topic, i did much the same thing when i first started flying camera, adding drag for smaller passengers and going back to man-pris for the normal size people. Thankfully i have learned to fly my body now and have quite a bit of range so i don't have to change as much.

i have learned to fly my body now and have quite a bit of range so i don't have to change as much.

It is amazing what a couple hundred more jumps can teach you eh?
Mykel AFF-I10

i have learned to fly my body now and have quite a bit of range so i don't have to change as much.

It is amazing what a couple hundred more jumps can teach you eh?

*nodding head vigorously* UH HUH! :D:)